• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShooterMcGee

Dec 31, 2012
    Does anyone know if the sporting clays are voice activated there?

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    The sporting clays are button operated with an electronic card, you put the card on the reader and use a button on a cord to release the birds. You can set the reader for a 5 second delay so you can shoot sporting clays by yourself if you like.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Augie covered the question. I'll just say that PG is a great place to shoot and has been my main clays place for 20 years now. Wish I could go more often, but I always wish there was 48 hours in a day because there is so much to do.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I miss having human trappers. They could vary the difficulty of the course, based on the shooter.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I miss having human trappers. They could vary the difficulty of the course, based on the shooter.

Not only that, but they were nice to shoot the BS with. Had a lot of fun with a couple trappers down there. I also agree that it was good to be able to have them vary the difficulty. When I brought my sisters out there, they took it easy on them and threw all the hard stuff for me. They did that some times when I brought my brothers out too just to give my brothers some handicap.

Like so much in life, a lot of things are now automated. Surprised they don't have a vending machine for the little cards used by the electronic target system. Just go up to a machine and refill it just like a copy card at the library.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County

One of the most fun sporting clays experiences I've had was at Delmarva. We had a trapper AND they have mechanical, spring loaded traps. He would secretly send out a pair (standard & mini) or send an orange and black bird and call which one to shoot first. Incredible fun and my favorite station was a row boat suspended by chains. You stood in the boat and shot while it rocked.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    One of the most fun sporting clays experiences I've had was at Delmarva. We had a trapper AND they have mechanical, spring loaded traps. He would secretly send out a pair (standard & mini) or send an orange and black bird and call which one to shoot first. Incredible fun and my favorite station was a row boat suspended by chains. You stood in the boat and shot while it rocked.

Yep. The trappers could vary up the targets as they saw fit. The unpredictability of human trappers was great. Positive of the automated systems is that you really do not have to wait to get on a squad or wait for a trapper before you can head out and shoot.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I never minded the wait, as I would BS with the other people waiting, or the staff.

And yes, overall, the trappers were great fun. And if they knew you, would do some outrageous things. :)

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    One of the most fun sporting clays experiences I've had was at Delmarva..... Incredible fun and my favorite station was a row boat suspended by chains. You stood in the boat and shot while it rocked.

This is why the National Sporting Clays Association doesn't allow quail walks, poison birds, blinds, etc. anymore. Places like DELMARVA took it to the extreme and made a station where your firing from a STANDING position in a ROCKING BOAT. Tommy Dodds had a station with a rowboat sitting on old tires that you shot from a sitting position. It was a lot of fun and you weren't going to kill anyone with your second shot if you lost your balance!!

I am not a range nazi, and I really miss the hunting style stations that Sporting Clays originated with, but as I said some places took it to the extreme and caused those stations to be taken away.

I have shot clays at Delmarva (once) and had to refuse to shoot stations where there was a trapper directly in my line of fire and my trapper could have cared less.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    This is why the National Sporting Clays Association doesn't allow quail walks, poison birds, blinds, etc. anymore. Places like DELMARVA took it to the extreme and made a station where your firing from a STANDING position in a ROCKING BOAT. Tommy Dodds had a station with a rowboat sitting on old tires that you shot from a sitting position. It was a lot of fun and you weren't going to kill anyone with your second shot if you lost your balance!!

I am not a range nazi, and I really miss the hunting style stations that Sporting Clays originated with, but as I said some places took it to the extreme and caused those stations to be taken away.

I have shot clays at Delmarva (once) and had to refuse to shoot stations where there was a trapper directly in my line of fire and my trapper could have cared less.

Did Delmarva have a station where the trapper threw from behind a plexiglass shield? Shot at a place back in 1998 on the eastern shore that had a station like this. Essentially, it was an incoming bird. Found it to be completely insane that the trapper was alright with us pointing a shotgun at him, even if he was behind plexiglass.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Did Delmarva have a station where the trapper threw from behind a plexiglass shield? Shot at a place back in 1998 on the eastern shore that had a station like this. Essentially, it was an incoming bird. Found it to be completely insane that the trapper was alright with us pointing a shotgun at him, even if he was behind plexiglass.

Don't remember that one explictly, but would not surprise me at all. The station I refused to shoot was on a hedgerow corner, with the birds coming from your left. There was a trapper about 80 yards in front of you throwing a bird over the hedge row to the right. He was in the direct line of fire with no protection what so ever.

Gunsmoke had a incoming bird that went about two feet over your head (if the wind was right), but the trapper was behind a railroad tie wall, fronted with hay bales. About the only time I can remember shooting a clay in self-defense. If the wind was coming from the trapper, the bird came in the cage with you!!:shocked2:

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

You STOOD in the boat? The guys I shoot with either sit or kneel in the boat. Hell we even use a 'buddy' to had the gun over to the shooter when he gets settled in. Then again, 1/2 our guys are, or have been, Hunter Safety Instructors.

I don't remember any plexiglass shields...but there were some 'privacy fence type' barriers. On 2 stations, I thought the throwers weren't especially protected, but they were quite a ways away. One of those the thrower was pretty open. I would have guessed closer to 100 yds away...but still disconcerting.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Don't remember that one explictly, but would not surprise me at all. The station I refused to shoot was on a hedgerow corner, with the birds coming from your left. There was a trapper about 80 yards in front of you throwing a bird over the hedge row to the right. He was in the direct line of fire with no protection what so ever.

Gunsmoke had a incoming bird that went about two feet over your head (if the wind was right), but the trapper was behind a railroad tie wall, fronted with hay bales. About the only time I can remember shooting a clay in self-defense. If the wind was coming from the trapper, the bird came in the cage with you!!:shocked2:

That would be kind of a surprise if you didn't expect it!

A bunch of guys from my Hunting Camp usually shoot at DelMarVa on the Sunday after opening day since we can't hunt that day and our camp is probably no more than 10-12 miles away.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The station I refused to shoot was on a hedgerow corner, with the birds coming from your left. There was a trapper about 80 yards in front of you throwing a bird over the hedge row to the right. He was in the direct line of fire with no protection what so ever.

80 yards is a awful long way for #7 1/2 or smaller shot to carry.

At PG the first several stations (far right of the line) are downrange of the trap and skeet fields.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    The station I refused to shoot was on a hedgerow corner, with the birds coming from your left. There was a trapper about 80 yards in front of you throwing a bird over the hedge row to the right. He was in the direct line of fire with no protection what so ever.

Sounds like a place near Price MD where I used to dove hunt. Just because I didn't shoot at a low bird, did not mean the guy across from me would hold his fire. :mad54:

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    80 yards is a awful long way for #7 1/2 or smaller shot to carry.

At PG the first several stations (far right of the line) are downrange of the trap and skeet fields.

7-1/2s or even 8's will definitely carry 80 yds. We use to stand on opposite sides of some dove fields a bit over 100 yds apart and you could hear the shot raining down and it would fairly often fall in front of us nearby or occasionally on us. But it didn't do any damage at that range (although I guess it could hurt your eyes if you didn't have shooting glasses on) and we used to joke about it. Then again, if you shot about straight up, you could rain on yourself or your nearby buddies! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom