• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gstaniii

Oct 11, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Agreed all in all- not that hard EXCEPT on my wallet ($104.50) and my valuable time (2 hrs -application/ waiting for livescan etc). Thanks again O'MAOlley (you creep)

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    I finally had to breakdown and get mine.customer of mine gave me a pretty good deal on a 1911 and I have a soft spot for them,what I don't understand I submitted the application on Friday and Saturday I get a peice of paper in the mail Saturday showing no criminal records found for me and waiting on results of finger prints, but yet mail is usually days for me. Getting fingerprints wasn't the easiest either,no walk ins,make an appointment on line even tho I spoke to a person on the phone,criminals get printed for free,we have to pay and fill out even more paperwork when purchasing firearms,what purpose dies the hql seve,I think we know the answer,total cost 107.85$ counting parking but not lost time from work.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    That electro-shock GPS tracker they put in your neck will just feel like a pinch and they will even come to your home to install it!

+1

what gets me is the wording of the thread....."*HQL It wasn't that hard"
    whats hard is to sit and let them slowly lay those chains upon our wrists. As I saw on someones signature about how to boil a frog. Slowly increase the temp 1° at a time and you wont even need a lid to keep them in.
    I had to get my HQL as well this past year because I refused to believe that Md a$$hats could get a law through.... boy I was wrong.

Bear 555

Apr 16, 2013
    MD
    Completed Livescan, uploaded MD DNR Safety Cert, filled in the rest on the on-line form, paid the money and pressed SUBMIT on Thursday.

Now I have a 'record', we'll see what happens next . . .

Bear 555

Apr 16, 2013
    MD
    My application status went from 'pending' to 'active' today - thats 2 weeks and 2 days since I applied

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    I won't be obtaining a HQL or owning a handgun, it's too expensive.

$200 for fingerprints, classes and permits, not to mention the time involved just to have the right to purchase a handgun. And of course there are no reasonably priced handguns sold in MD. Remember we did away with all the "Saturday Night Special" cheap guns. So now I have to spend another several hundred dollars for one.

Funny though, I can register to vote in 2 minutes online, for free.

Blake_7.62

Oct 17, 2010
    My biggest problem with it is it is a blatant restriction of my constitutional rights, placing undo burden and expense on me, and does nothing to address crime, ie, continues to punish the innocent and enable criminals.

:thumbsup:

ASTC

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    My biggest problem with it is it is a blatant restriction of my constitutional rights, placing undo burden and expense on me, and does nothing to address crime, ie, continues to punish the innocent and enable criminals.

You are absolutely correct. It does nothing to stop crime, despite Gov. MOM's public statements to the contrary. If Marylanders think this is the end of such restrictive gun laws, just wait and see what happens if the same crowd gets elected again in November. Everyone who believes in the U.S. Constitution had better turn out to vote. That is the only way we can start to change things in Maryland and at the national level.

beafly.cakes

Having now been through the process, would you now support the idea of a license to engage in any of your other rights, such as voting?

Exactly.

Sorry sir, you didn't register with the police and get a 4th ammendment card, so we're just gonna have a look around your house and seize money from your bank account. Why? Well somebody in Connecticut shot up a school. It's for the children.

Relwarc

Jan 25, 2013
    Hunt Valley
    Edit: Not worth it, off the soapbox

I do, however, want to maybe draw a parallel between gun ownership and car ownership?

I know cars aren't an amendment protected right, but they are objects that, if operated improperly, or by a crazy person, can be very dangerous.

I don't pretend to be in favor of the HQL, but what's wrong with requiring that someone be trained to properly handle a firearm before purchase?

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Taxation is another reason why I have yet to get one. I have what I need until I move from this god forsaken state one day in the not so far off future.

I refuse to pay those SOB's in Annapolis for my rights they say they are not denying.

It is bad enough I have to pretty much be beaten beyond recognition, severely threatened, robbed or be one of the good old boys club to get an unrestricted permit.

But they don't repress my rights under the constitution.

Now I have yo PAY to have my rights granted to OWN and PURCHASE firearms as new gun owner or I HAVE to PAY A TAX to continue to purchase if I already own a handgun.

Sounds like the BRITTS are running this state, not AMERICANS!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I don't pretend to be in favor of the HQL, but what's wrong with requiring that someone be trained to properly handle a firearm before purchase?

Should you receive training, before you can vote?
    Should you receive training, before you can practice a religion?
    Should you receive training, before you get an abortion?
    Should you receive training, before you get married?

Each of the above can be dangerous in their own right. ;)

Relwarc

Jan 25, 2013
    Hunt Valley

Ha... I could easily argue "Yes" for all of these... but I do see your point.

But if you drive a car dangerously, you could kill someone. That's why we require licenses and tests for those licenses. (I personally think it should be harder to pass these tests, but that's just me)

I think guns should be the same. Maybe it would keep the idiots who make the rest of us look bad at bay.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Ha... I could easily argue "Yes" for all of these... but I do see your point.

But if you drive a car dangerously, you could kill someone. That's why we require licenses and tests for those licenses. (I personally think it should be harder to pass these tests, but that's just me)

I think guns should be the same. Maybe it would keep the idiots who make the rest of us look bad at bay.

No, that is not why licenses are required.

Driving a car is a privilege, not a right. The right is the freedom of travel, not the mode.

Relwarc

Jan 25, 2013
    Hunt Valley

Driving a car is a privilege, not a right. The right is the freedom of travel, not the mode.

It's not a constitutional right, but it's a right nonetheless. Any idiot can get a license to drive. Just like (in most states.....) any idiot can get a gun. It's what they do when they leave with it that's the issue.

Don't get me wrong... I was the one standing there getting my HQL fingerprints done who said to the guy "This would be easier if I had cuffs on, eh?" :rolleyes:

beafly.cakes

Is there any factual evidence to show that training law abiding gun owners, will reduce the number of gun related homicides?

Is there any factual evidence to show that issuing drivers licenses and requiring training has reduced the number of vehicular homicides in Maryland?

If we send every citizen in Maryland to hunter's safety, will drug criminals suddenly stop shooting each other?

Gunny1998

(This Space for Rent)
    Apr 20, 2013
    St. Marys County

I'm all for the point your trying to make - but equally against the examples you use to make it. I too could say yes to every one of your examples.

And freedom of travel isn't a right - nor is the mode.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Edit: Not worth it, off the soapbox

I do, however, want to maybe draw a parallel between gun ownership and car ownership?

I know cars aren't an amendment protected right, but they are objects that, if operated improperly, or by a crazy person, can be very dangerous.

It's not a constitutional right, but it's a right nonetheless. Any idiot can get a license to drive. Just like (in most states.....) any idiot can get a gun. It's what they do when they leave with it that's the issue.

Don't get me wrong... I was the one standing there getting my HQL fingerprints done who said to the guy "This would be easier if I had cuffs on, eh?" :rolleyes:

Um, no. Driving is still not a Right, no matter how much you say it. The Constitution specifically states the Right SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. There are no asterisks or other clauses attached. Freedom has a price. It was expected that people would practice with their firearms (the well regulated militia part). Why not put a set of requirements in place so people can vote? Oh, wait, they tried that. It was called a poll tax.

Who would make the requirements? That would be the government. A State like MD could make those "requirements" quite stringent, even arbitrary. They would certainly structure them to attempt to disqualify a large portion of the population. Any such system is subject to abuse. No. Sorry. It is a Right. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom