• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShooterMcGee

Dec 31, 2012
    I am looking at purchasing a New O/U and have seen some good stuff about this one. Anyone have experiences both positive or negative they could share?

Last edited:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I have one, bought it when they first came out last August.

The ONLY thing that can possibly be said negative about this gun is the receiver is boring looking. The reviews are totally legit, it's nicely weighted, comes up prefectly, basically,.....the gun shoots where you look.

When the offer it in a grade 5 (@32") I'll switch up to that.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    8164_zpse062ee8a.jpg

8165_zpsdf363a62.jpg

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    You can get a used CG Summit Sporting for around the same coin. Receiver height is similar.

Here's my old one (Limited)
    7521.jpg

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    425 Golden Clays, higher overall profile, less drop at comb, neutral stock and no palm swell:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    How's the recoil on the 725? Does it compare to a semi auto?

Compared like this, autos are SOFT, pretty much any break action is gonna kick the balls off of you compared to an auto.

Lots of differences come into play when looking at "felt" recoil. Most O/Us are going to be around a full pound heavier than an auto. Weight helps a lot. I have an 1100 Comp that weighs in over 9lbs, very very soft shooter.

I have an additional 10oz on the butt of my 725 in a mercury tube, helps out a little. Chances are you'll be shooting mostly 2 3/4" target loads at 1oz, no real concerns with recoil in my opinion regardless.

ShooterMcGee

Dec 31, 2012
    We shoot second and fourth Sundays (50 bird sporting clays) starting at 9am. Myself and another guy I shoot with regularly have 725's, you are welcome to shoot through with mine.

http://www.oxfordgunclub.org/

Wow, Very cool of you. Thanks. Unfortunately, My current work schedule has me working most Sunday mornings for the next few months. Again, thanks very much for the offer!

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Wow, Very cool of you. Thanks. Unfortunately, My current work schedule has me working most Sunday mornings for the next few months. Again, thanks very much for the offer!

This is not a problem. Come March we will be back to a full 5 stand schedule on Tuesday nights. Good targets, GREAT food!

I will be posting up after the new year here more often to lure in some new and maybe "dusty" shooters. We are going to have more raffles, more 50/50's (tickets won based on number of broken targets at a true trapper's choice station, basically lots of fun and exciting stuff!

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Is the extra money for sport worth it compared to the field version. Any experience with the field?

Thanks for the info?

Depends. With the sporting model you are getting supposed grade III/IV furniture. The field will have better looking engraving (or, should I say, it will have engraving) :sad20: Field comes with less chokes, a fixed ivory front bead (ih-viz changeable on the sporting). No porting on the field gun, not sure you are missing much there either way. Side ribs (between the barrels) are vented on the Sporting, believe it or not this does make a difference swing wise.

My thing is, what do I do MOST of? Answer (for me) clays. I take this guy twice a year over for upland hunting at Game Creek in NJ. Doesn't make sense to for me to have a field grade gun at that rate. To answer your question though, no, I do not have any first hand experience with the field grade model.

Here is a pretty good write up on the field from last year. http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2011/10/new-725-best-citori-ever This guy isn't my favorite, but he does handle and shoot quite a few guns.

Also, ignore retail on these at the moment, $2,650 is about the market for the Sporting, I don't think many people actually paid $3K+ for them.

ShooterMcGee

Dec 31, 2012
    Last question, I promise. Do you know any place locally that would carry these or is gunbroker the best bet to buy one?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Last question, I promise. Do you know any place locally that would carry these or is gunbroker the best bet to buy one?

Not anywhere that I would recommend. The local Browning dealer up this way is a total waste of space. I wouldn't buy a box of shells from them let alone a gun.

Honestly, I'd recommend checking daily on the classifieds on shotgunworld forum.

I've bought probably literally dozen shotguns from members therein the past few years, including the 725 I have now. There are two members in particular that buy and sell quite a bit, guy named Gary Ferrell in Texas and another guy Swadehead (who just recently sold a VERY uniquely figured 725) in N. New Jersey. There are few guys from here that are semi-active over there, I solely use the site for classifieds.

It then becomes a matter of knowing exactly what you are looking for and being ready to pull the trigger (pun intended) on it when it comes up. I would also place a "wanted" ad over there, never know when someone is going to need money more than a gun in the safe.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=143

If you scroll all the way down bottom you can search more specific areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom