• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShooterMcGee

Dec 31, 2012
    I finally received my m&p 15 and shot it for the first time. I was about 2 inches to the right with my rear sight as far left as possible. I put the gun sight side down on a table and noticed that the front and rear sights were not flush and off a hair. Is this what is causing my issue and if so, is it something I can fix or should I send it back to smith and wesson. Thanks for any advice.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Double check the front sight post for straightness. Remove and replace the rear sight(if removable). Check mounting of rear sight for anything that might keep it from mounting level.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk 2

ShooterMcGee

Dec 31, 2012
    Ok. So front post is straight. I took off the back sight and everything looks fine. When I put it back on, it is still out of whack with the front sight. When placed sight side down, only 3 of the 4 sight points touch. The pic below shows how far off it is. Almost the width of a credit card. Is that enough to cause the rifle not to zero?

78C2D755-BAF9-4BD9-A01F-D76D8C7E8FCA-2476-000002A6122043C2.jpg

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Is your from sight a standard M-16 post built into the gas block or is it mounted to the rail?

If it's a post, try removing the carry handle (if removable) and do an eyesight along the length of the rifle and make sure the post looks centered directly on top of the barrel. If this checks out, then try eyeballing the carry handle and confirm it's not somehow twisted or warped.

Something like this is a little hard to diagnose without seeing the rifle.

One other thought, had anyone else fired the rifle? If so, I'm assuming they had the same results?

bro

Feb 20, 2013
    have you tried that tests on different surfaces? the reference surface might not be true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom