• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    My .22s aren't picky at all. Shoot everything I feed them, and I'm just plinking, not competitively.

So for me, the cheaper the better.

gooder

Aug 26, 2011
    My Marlin 795 will cycle just about any of the bulk stuff (Fed, Win, Rem), but it's most accurate with CCI MM 40g. However, I tend to stock up on Blazer bulk when I come across it. It's just as accurate as the CCI MM, but cheaper. Blazers get 5 shots in a dime sized target at 25 yds (scoped). Accurate enough for me.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Slightly qualifying my initial post I should have said that the 3 CCI varieties I mentioned were all I use in competition and all the other ammo is for practice, EXCEPT IN COLD WEATHER. While the CCI ammo will generally work well in conditions around freezing if you keep the ammo warm so that the lube stays fluid, I find that CCI Blazer 40g and Federal American Eagle 38g and 40g generally feed better and gum the firearm up less than CCI unless you have gone to the trouble of brushing off the lube on the bullet end of the CCI ammo. For some reason both Fed AE and Blazer seem to have less lube on them than the copper washed CCI MM and AR-T. There are a few others that can work better in the cold also but some of them have more duds than the ones I mentioned. Otherwise steal one of your significant other's small sealable Tupperware or other plastic container, dump all your ammo out of its boxes in the plastic container, and then activate a couple of Hot Hands single use hand warmers and dump them in with the ammo and seal it up. you should be fine with a rimfire in freezing conditions. Also make sure you lube the gun with the lightest oil you can find, either sewing machine oil or something like Eezox you can put on and then wipe off.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Federal AE must have gotten better.

I have a pistol that shoots this more accurately than some match ammo. So I bought a case when I was shooting in a winter bullseye league. I would have 2 or 3 per box of 50 that would fail to fire. Normally, if you rechambered it, after rotating it, it would fire. It seemed that the priming compound was not evenly distributed.

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    Depends on the gun. For my High Standard Bullseye Pistol it's CCI Green Tag. My Ruger 10/22 likes Federal Auto Match. I had a Ruger Mk II that would shoot anything but did best with standard velocity stuff.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Depends on the gun. For my High Standard Bullseye Pistol it's CCI Green Tag. My Ruger 10/22 likes Federal Auto Match. I had a Ruger Mk II that would shoot anything but did best with standard velocity stuff.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^

It does not matter what YOU like, it matters what each rimfire firearm you own likes.

And it is likely to be different for each firearm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom