Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > The Depot
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old May 16th, 2019, 07:32 AM #1

Looking for good earmuff deals. Any advice?

Found some nice passive Walker ear muffs for $20. Iíve been seeing a lot of people recommending electronic earmuffs. Iíve heard mixed reviews. I was looking at the Walker Razor Slim for $39. Is that a good deal? Can recommend your favorite pair of earmuffs and maybe some sales?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yungskeeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 08:45 AM #2

I realize this doesn't directly answer your questions but will give you another option to consider.

These work surprisingly well. I wouldn't necessarily recommend them indoors though, based on a couple times shooting 5.56 from under a pavilion.

https://www.safariland.com/products/...1.html#start=1

You can find them readily available for ~$18 on Amazon. Good to have a couple pair around even if you buy muffs as well. Electronic muffs are nice, but I haven't found cheap ones that last very long. I gave up on that a number of years ago though, maybe there are options worth buying today.

Reality doesnít bend over to accommodate fantasy or sentimentality.

No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it. - 16th American Jurisprudence 2d, Section 177 late 2nd, section 256

If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. - Thomas Jefferson

NRA Endowment Member
Silverlode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:01 AM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlode View Post
I realize this doesn't directly answer your questions but will give you another option to consider.

These work surprisingly well. I wouldn't necessarily recommend them indoors though, based on a couple times shooting 5.56 from under a pavilion.

https://www.safariland.com/products/...1.html#start=1

You can find them readily available for ~$18 on Amazon. Good to have a couple pair around even if you buy muffs as well. Electronic muffs are nice, but I haven't found cheap ones that last very long. I gave up on that a number of years ago though, maybe there are options worth buying today.

Donít plan on doing too much shooting outdoors. Your answer did help. Think I may just get the non-electronic headset. Get electronic later down the line.

Old May 16th, 2019, 09:35 AM #4

I've had these for about 2 years. https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Sport-.../dp/B07KKGX4JQ

Being a Range officer at a skeet range they are nice because I can hear the shooters call & be more aware of whats going on behind me.
euchre98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:48 AM #5
Watch your beer

Watch your beer

yeah wait until gander outdoors does that $25 off thing again and but a set. That's what I did! Awesome deal
Old May 16th, 2019, 01:12 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by euchre98 View Post
I've had these for about 2 years. https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Sport-.../dp/B07KKGX4JQ

Being a Range officer at a skeet range they are nice because I can hear the shooters call & be more aware of whats going on behind me.

Do the headphones still block sound if thereís no power going to the headset? My only fear is using them and they go dead on me.

Old May 16th, 2019, 01:47 PM #7
For great Justice

For great Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungskeeme View Post
Do the headphones still block sound if thereís no power going to the headset? My only fear is using them and they go dead on me.

"electronic" muffs work like normal muffs, but have microphones on the outside that play the exterior sounds through interior speakers, when noise levels go over a threshold(aka gun shot), they either cut the audio, or compress it to eliminate the gun shot from being transmitted. With dead batteries they are just normal muffs. I have those Peltor tactical 100s, have been happy with them, really natural sound, comfortable, long life from a pair of AAAs, and relatively slim and compact. They aren't loud enough to increase ambient sound above "natural" hearing like others, and the auto-off feature starts beeping after 2 hours, usually right in the middle of a stage for me, have to turn the volume knob to keep them from turning off. THere are others that are better or worse, but these are probably the best for the money.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 01:50 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
"electronic" muffs work like normal muffs, but have microphones on the outside that play the exterior sounds through interior speakers, when noise levels go over a threshold(aka gun shot), they either cut the audio, or compress it to eliminate the gun shot from being transmitted. With dead batteries they are just normal muffs. I have those Peltor tactical 100s, have been happy with them, really natural sound, comfortable, long life from a pair of AAAs, and relatively slim and compact. They aren't loud enough to increase ambient sound above "natural" hearing like others, and the auto-off feature starts beeping after 2 hours, usually right in the middle of a stage for me, have to turn the volume knob to keep them from turning off. THere are others that are better or worse, but these are probably the best for the money.

I keep seeing these. Walker Razors and Howard Leights. Iíve also heard some have some type of buzzing. Not sure which ones I want.

Old May 16th, 2019, 01:58 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungskeeme View Post
I keep seeing these. Walker Razors and Howard Leights. Iíve also heard some have some type of buzzing. Not sure which ones I want.

I have both a set of Howard Leights and multiple Walkers Razors.
I much prefer the razors, they fit my head better and dont interfere with my cheek weld (with the howard leights i have to modify my cheek weld some). I have a fairly large cranium though. (one size fits all hats dont fit with the adjustment area connected lol)

I use them (the walker razors) all the time at work and "play" (range time, wood/metal working, etc) very comfortable for _my_ use.
jamesp15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 02:08 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp15 View Post
I have both a set of Howard Leights and multiple Walkers Razors.

I much prefer the razors, they fit my head better and dont interfere with my cheek weld (with the howard leights i have to modify my cheek weld some). I have a fairly large cranium though. (one size fits all hats dont fit with the adjustment area connected lol)

I use them (the walker razors) all the time at work and "play" (range time, wood/metal working, etc) very comfortable for _my_ use.

Youíve sold me on the razors lol. Looking for the best deal. $40 is all Iím seeing so may jump on it.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > The Depot