Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old May 6th, 2019, 10:00 AM #1

Just moved to Columbia (Long Reach)

Good morning MDShooter Fam.

This last weekend I moved into a apartment in the longreach community. I am Starting to realize it might not be the safest place on earth. Any members here ever lived or is currently living in this general area and might have a little insight for the area?

Thanks in advance!
A_Lemurs_Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 10:07 AM #2

I'm nearby in Oakland Mills. Around the Longreach village center is pretty sketchy. The Oakland Mills village center isn't much better. There's a reason they have police substations. What kind of info are you looking for?
sino26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 10:11 AM #3
Habitual Testifier

Habitual Testifier

You live in the most dangerous and crime ridden section of Howard County.
There was a murder on Spiral Cut this weekend.

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: Itís the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a personís heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 10:12 AM #4

I live in King's Contrivance. Long Reach is not a great area, especially at night. However, most of the Columbia Villages have pockets of sketchiness and crime. It's a double edged sword. Columbia's founder wanted a city with economical and racial diversity. I love Columbia for that, but I also hate Columbia for the side effects that it brings. Having said that, if you pay close attention, most of the sketchy people doing sketchy things in Columbia don't even live in Howard County.
Brownl345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 10:22 AM #5

Thanks for all the quick responses,
I saw the news of the young woman’s murder a few moments ago.
I just signed a 1 year lease on the 1st of this month so I’m hoping it won’t be terrible for my girlfriend and I. I have always loved Columbia so this is actually pretty dissatisfying to say the least.
A_Lemurs_Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 10:28 AM #6

In Oak Island style. Murder? Crime? in Columbia? How can this happen in the bastion of liberal utopia, where the rich and poor live side by side in pure bliss?
threegun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 11:08 AM #7
i pi

i pi

Well, you are armed, so thats a start. My additional advice would be security cams or doorbell cam, and loud barky pets, if your lease allows it.

It is the "bad" section of Columbia, but having lived in Baltimore, i'd say you will survive. Bad is relative. Avoid stupid places, stupid people, stupid things (like drugs) you should be fine.

Howard County has about 6 homicides a year. Thats about 1/20th what Bodymorge has.

ETA: If you place backs up to a trail, its at extra risk, so lock up tight and lock up valuables and guns when you are not home. The good news, they look for places when you are not home (unless you forgot to pay your heroin bill). So get renters insurance for theft etc.
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 11:25 AM #8
Professional Heckler

Professional Heckler

I lived off Harper's Farm road, in some mostly Section 8 apartment complex. This was back in 2005/2006, and it was crappy then. Every Saturday afternoon/evening there was a passed-out drunk homeless dude asleep on our stairs, and I'd call it in.

I asked a cop once in the Safeway parking lot about the area, and she asked when my lease was up LOL.

I moved out in 2006 and never looked back.

-John
DraKhen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 01:13 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lemurs_Carbine View Post
Thanks for all the quick responses,
I saw the news of the young woman’s murder a few moments ago.
I just signed a 1 year lease on the 1st of this month so I’m hoping it won’t be terrible for my girlfriend and I. I have always loved Columbia so this is actually pretty dissatisfying to say the least.

Welcome to the area, although I wish you could have started a thread prior to signing that lease. I grew up and my parents live just around the corner on Phelps Luck Drive and Long Reach has always been "an area to be careful in". Now I used to sneak out and pass through there in wee hours of the night and never had any trouble. I did have bikes and a 4 wheeler stolen and recovered there. There is a lot of Section 8 and that creates some challenges. I am a bit surprised that you were not aware of the area having had grown up in Columbia but nonetheless...

In my opinion, you and your girlfriend need to make sure your situational awareness is on point. Most stuff that happens is snatching, "armed" robbery and are all opportunistic attacks. There is a strong police presence and HOCO is pretty good IMO. Responsive and take inquiries pretty serious. Keep your windows locked, belongings out of site and you should be ok.

You are in MD so no use carrying and make sure you understand the castle doctrine as it relates to your situation.

1 year will go by fast and I would have a general idea where you want to go
Yingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 05:30 PM #10

oops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yingpin View Post
Welcome to the area, although I wish you could have started a thread prior to signing that lease.
I'm laughing with you OP, not at you, but yeah, maybe do some checking ahead of time.

I've been a renter my entire adult life. I always try to check out a potential new area by cruising by and/or parking a few times a day to see what's going on in the neighborhood. I don't want to see any "military-aged males" who look un- or under-employed sitting around. Can't really tell that right after work, the time people are typically looking at apartments, or on Saturday/Sunday when Open Houses typically are held.

Gotta check it out between 10am-2pm and 10pm-2am on weekdays. I want to see moms & grandmoms pushing strollers during the former timeframe, and no one except maybe someone walking a dog during the latter.
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland