• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Details are scarce but attorney George Lyons posted this up to the Book of Faces about 3 hours ago.

SELF DEFENSE SHOOTING IN DC BY CONCEALED CARRIER LICENSE HOLDER TODAY

We have apparently had our first incident of a DC concealed carry holder firing in self-defense. DC police report two persons approached a third at a Metro bus stop at 5th and H NE and announced a robbery. Fearing the robbers were armed, the victim fired wounding one of the suspects in the arm, police say. Police indicate the suspects are in custody. No word concerning the concealed carrier and whether any charges are being filed or whether he or she was taken into custody.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah i wasn’t going to post this but I’m glad you did.

I’m interested to see how this plays out.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    I was mid-way into a bunch of speculative sentences and I stopped myself. I'll wait for more facts. I'm sure Washington Post will be all over it if they were unarmed and crickets if they were.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    This will be interesting for sure....the quote mentions fear that they robbers were armed, seems like some speculation on the CCW permits side.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Armed or not they posed a danger to the victim. How many times have we seen victims, attacked by "unarmed" thugs, on the ground getting their heads stomped. This is the way we turn the tide of random street violence. Eventually the criminals learn that it just might be a little bit dangerous to attack random people on the street.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    This will be interesting for sure....the quote mentions fear that they robbers were armed, seems like some speculation on the CCW permits side.

Interesting, when a robbery is announced the victim has to wait until the robbery goes from a verbal request for your property to a demand for your property backed up by a weapon before you are allowed to defend yourself.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Interesting, when a robbery is announced the victim has to wait until the robbery goes from a verbal request for your property to a demand for your property backed up by a weapon before you are allowed to defend yourself.

Not from my perspective, but there is potential for it to be spun this way certainly. Being in DC with lots of folks that aren't firearm/CCW proponents I can easily see this twisted in a bad light.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    From MPD:

“Shortly before 2pm this afternoon two suspect’s approached an individual at the bus stop located at 5th and H Street, NE. One of those suspects voiced his intention to effect a robbery on the individual standing at the bus stop. Upon hearing this and believing the suspect to be armed, this individual brandished his lawfully possessed firearm and shot at the suspect striking him in his arm. This person has a valid concealed carry pistol license in the District of Columbia.

At this point we believe we have the involved parties in custody, however as stated below if you have information related to this incident please contact us immediately.

There were businesses in the area that have been damaged by the gunfire. We have not identified any other injured persons related to this event. Again, we are investigating and processing this scene. I will update when traffic is restored to its normal flow."

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Did an official public affairs person with the MPD actually say "two suspect’s approached" ?

Is apostrophe abuse a misdemeanor, or a felony in DC?

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    From MPD:

“Shortly before 2pm this afternoon two suspect’s approached an individual at the bus stop located at 5th and H Street, NE. One of those suspects voiced his intention to effect a robbery on the individual standing at the bus stop. Upon hearing this and believing the suspect to be armed, this individual brandished his lawfully possessed firearm and shot at the suspect striking him in his arm. This person has a valid concealed carry pistol license in the District of Columbia.

At this point we believe we have the involved parties in custody, however as stated below if you have information related to this incident please contact us immediately.

There were businesses in the area that have been damaged by the gunfire. We have not identified any other injured persons related to this event. Again, we are investigating and processing this scene. I will update when traffic is restored to its normal flow."

"Brandished"
    "Businesses damaged by the gunfire"

:popcorn:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Hummmm, semantics raises its head again .

The Political staffer/ weed dealer the other week HAD a Permit at the time of the incident . May well have been illegal for possessing in conjunction with his freelance distribution activities , but he had a facially valid Permit at the time .

If the initial reports are Reasonably close to accurate , it would have been blatently justified Self Defense . When Armed Robbers open fire on you first , there is no doubt as to the need .

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Probable cause affidavit from MPD.

https://www.facebook.com/download/7...5QJg0jPxLeVC6DhuFXIkB74&hash=Acpq8Gcq-qmUdv-H

Overall it sounds like the potential victim is in the clear but a couple things of note:

10 rounds of 9mm casings found at the scene but the potential victim carried a Glock 43.

Although it was stated that the "heavy set" perp had a Glock handgun with an extended mag no mention of him using it.

The potential victim was with "associates" that he only knew as "Wolf-E" and "P".

Four businesses had windows shot.

SigZag

Aug 4, 2019
    Rockville
    Holly Frijole! I hope this is just the beginning of what's to come of attempted robberies, beatings and general wrong doing in the D.istrict of C.riminals

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    DC Code can be pretty convoluted and arbitrary plus the prosecutor can put his wetted finger in the air to gauge public opinion before deciding whether to charge the person defending himself. The problem here is there's been little media attention paid. If the guy had shot an innocent bystander it would be front page news and used as evidence the law should be changed.

That being said there is a difference between reasonable fear and bare fear. If the CCW holder can articulate reasonable fear he will likely have no problem. If he cannot and a case can be made for bare fear he could be in trouble. For his sake I hope he has a good attorney.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom