• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    How much more can the NRA take. It seems like a new thing every week now.
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/b...gainst-wayne-lapierre-nra-and-nra-foundation/

https://www.scribd.com/document/421...poration-and-the-NRA-FOUNDATION-INC-a-Washing

David Dell’Aquila is the National Rifle Association donor who has been leading a grassroots effort to oust EVP and CEO Wayne LaPierre and other senior NRA officers. In a conversation with him last month, he laid out his four-phase strategy for bringing about those management changes with the goal of cleaning up NRA operations and making the Association more transparent and responsive to its members.

When we spoke, Dell’Aquila had put phases one through three of his plan into effect. Now he’s begun the final phase by filing a class action lawsuit against Wayne LaPierre, the NRA and the NRA Foundation accusing them of fraud in the solicitation of donations.

The suit was filed late yesterday in US District Court in Nashville. You can read it here (PDF).

Dell’Aquila is the named plaintiff in the two-part class action against the NRA and the NRA Foundation on behalf of all US citizens who have contributed to either entity from January 1, 2015 to the present.

According to the lawsuit, Dell’Aquila, a longtime supporter of the NRA, has contributed a total of $100,000 to both entities since 2015 and has pledged 75% of his estate to the NRA and its subsidiaries upon his death.

The lawsuit alleges that the NRA represented that the funds he donated would be used for . . .

…gun safety education; to promote shooting sports and hunter safety; to foster wildlife conservation; and to protect gun ownership rights in the United States.

However, the plaintiffs allege that . . .

Defendants’ statements concerning the use of the solicited funds were materially false. In reality, the NRA used the solicited funds for alternative purposes, including without limitation, the following:

a. By spending over $97,000 per day for the legal services of William A. Brewer, III during the first quarter of 2019, without obtaining documentation justifying such expense.

b. By spending approximately $2 million per month for the legal services of the Brewer, over a thirteen-month period, without obtaining documentation justifying such expense.

c. By spending $274,695 for clothing purchases for Defendant LaPierre from a Beverly Hills clothing store, without reporting such expenses as income for LaPierre in the reports filed by the NRA with the Internal Revenue Service (the “IRS”).

d. By spending $243,644 on luxury travel for Defendant LaPierre to the Bahamas; Palm Beach; Los Angeles; Reno, Nevada; Budapest, Hungary; and Italy, without reporting such compensation as income for LaPierre in the reports filed by the NRA with the IRS.

e. By making inflated payments to the NRA’s advertising agency, Ackerman McQueen, without obtaining documentation justifying such expense.

f. By spending $5,446.16 per month for a luxury apartment for Megan Allen, an intern in Fairfax, Virginia.

g. By spending funds for a board meeting for the NRA, to be held in Alaska, rather than in Fairfax, Virginia.

h. By paying Defendant LaPierre an annual salary of $1.4 million

The plaintiffs also also allege the at the NRA Foundation misused funds it solicited . . .

a. By transferring approximately $80 million from the NRA Foundation (a tax deductible charitable organization) to the NRA (a non-tax-deductible lobbying organization) over a ten-year period. Such funds then became subject to the financial improprieties described in Count I of this Complaint and jeopardized the tax-deductibility of the donations made by Plaintiffs.

b. By paying $425,000 per year for nine years to the Speedway Children’s Charity, a non-profit organization not related to the NRA’s core mission.

c. By paying at least $125,000 to Youth for Tomorrow, a non-profit organization not related to the NRA’s core mission. Defendant LaPierre’s wife, Susan LaPierre, served on the board of Youth for Tomorrow, and was its President from 2013 to 2018.

The lawsuit asks that plaintiffs be awarded . . .

…damages equal to the amounts such persons donated to the NRA Foundation during the period from January I, 2015 to the present, together with costs, punitive damages and attorneys fees.

That amount isn’t yet clear, and won’t be fully known until the discovery process is complete. But along with possible punitive damages and attorneys fees, an award for the plaintiffs could easily be in the nine figure range.

One additional questionable use of NRA funds that wasn’t listed in the lawsuit was revealed in an article by the Washington Post that was published last night.

Documents indicate that the National Rifle Association planned to purchase a luxury mansion in the Dallas area last year fo the use of chief executive Wayne LaPierre, according to people familiar with the records.

The discussions about the roughly $6 million purchase, which was not completed, are now under scrutiny by New York investigators. The transaction was slated to be made through a corporate entity that received a wire of tens of thousands of dollars from the NRA in 2018, according to the people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.

The New York attorney general’s office is now examining the plan for an NRA-financed mansion as part of its ongoing investigation into the gun lobby’s tax-exempt status, in which it has subpoenaed the group’s financial records, the people said.

How many other such revelations that will come to light as a result of the New York and D.C. investigations as well as the Dell’Aquila lawsuit discovery process? Stay tuned.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Honestly this could make it even harder to remove WLP. People who have been with an .org for 40 years often need a face saving way out. Instead, the combative approach leads people (even people otherwise inclined to push for retirement) to see this as a frontal assault and circle the wagons.

The only people who benefit from this nonsense are the Bloomberg minions and anti-gun Democrats in swing states.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Whatever money you are withholding from the NRA, I would buy a pallet of KY jelly, Congress is fixing to take your rights as I type this. And, Trump is going to help them.

The president told reporters he is working with members of Congress to come up with a response to the shootings, expressing optimism that progress can be made on background checks, and indicated he would use his influence to persuade reluctant lawmakers to act.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-...o-el-paso-dayton-11565182454?mod=hp_lead_pos5

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Ahh... infringments are comming and it's my fault. Makes sense.

I wonder if David Need'Tequila is making calls to Trump to oppose the gun control train coming down the tracks?

NRA chief executive Wayne LaPierre spoke with Trump on Tuesday after the president expressed support for a background check bill and told him it would not be popular among Trump’s supporters, according to officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to freely discuss internal talks. LaPierre also argued against the bill’s merits, the officials said.

Trump also asked lawyers about what he could enact through an executive order, officials said.

“He seems determined to do something and believes there is space to get something done this time around,” said Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), who said he had spoken to Trump “four or five times” since the shootings. “The president has a pretty *common-sense point of view. He’s never been a sports or gun enthusiast. But he is more determined than ever to do something on his watch.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...f82060-b92d-11e9-a091-6a96e67d9cce_story.html

The ultimate goal of these lawsuits and stories in the Trace are this:

A White House official said Trump had asked some advisers and lawmakers this week about whether the NRA had enduring clout amid an internal leadership battle and allegations of improper spending, as well as what his supporters would think of the bill. The Washington Post reported this week that LaPierre sought to have the NRA buy him a $6 million mansion in a gated Dallas-area golf club after the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, in which 17 students and staff members were killed.

“Republicans are headed for extinction in the suburbs if they don’t distance themselves from the NRA. The GOP needs to put forth solutions to help eradicate the gun violence epidemic,” said Dan Eberhart, a Republican donor.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I wonder if David Need'Tequila is making calls to Trump to oppose the gun control train coming down the tracks?

“He seems determined to do something and believes there is space to get something done this time around,” said Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey O. Graham

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...f82060-b92d-11e9-a091-6a96e67d9cce_story.html

Space to get something done this time around. What he's saying is these events killed enough people for there to be a brief opportunity to allow gun control to pass before the emotions wear off and people come back to their senses.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    If Lapierre resigns, this lawsuit will go away. This is all about cleaning the NRA leadership up.

As for Trump, I hope he's getting good political advice...because this is the best way to wind up like George Herbert Bush...a one-term loser.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Lawsuits though dont really work. This about the equivalent of trying to fry an egg with a grenade.

Plus, I dont see anyone else stepping up and lobbying Congress and Trump. I am not a WLP fan whatsoever, but if he can slow down or even stop the train about to hit us, he deserves every penny.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    If it takes WLP to stop the current round of incrementalism, so be it! However, my hope rests with the so called "turtle", Mitch McConnell, who I generally do not like. He's the WLP of the Senate.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I will be happy to send money to any .org who can fill the gap and lobby Trump and McConnel along with individual Senators.

But so far all I see are a bunch of keyboard commandos who think that you need to blow stuff up to fix it.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Honestly this could make it even harder to remove WLP. People who have been with an .org for 40 years often need a face saving way out. Instead, the combative approach leads people (even people otherwise inclined to push for retirement) to see this as a frontal assault and circle the wagons.

The only people who benefit from this nonsense are the Bloomberg minions and anti-gun Democrats in swing states.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out! Sometimes being around for 40 years at one place is not a good thing.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I will be happy to send money to any .org who can fill the gap and lobby Trump and McConnel along with individual Senators.

But so far all I see are a bunch of keyboard commandos who think that you need to blow stuff up to fix it.

I suppose that the organization Acorn didn't need to be blown up to get it removed. When you find a cancer in your org it is best to excise that cancer as swiftly as possible.

A company I worked for about 20 years ago had a problem. Group A in California and Group B in Washington DC. Group A was causing problems, slowing down progress and generally a pain in the ass and impediment to achieving delivery schedules. There was a regularly schedued team meeting that Group A turned into a shit show one week. VPs investigated the situation and within one week, 7 days, Group A was cut loose and their development was moved from California to Washington DC. No more problems meeting delivery schedules once Group A was gone.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I suppose that the organization Acorn didn't need to be blown up to get it removed. When you find a cancer in your org it is best to excise that cancer as swiftly as possible.

A company I worked for about 20 years ago had a problem. Group A in California and Group B in Washington DC. Group A was causing problems, slowing down progress and generally a pain in the ass and impediment to achieving delivery schedules. There was a regularly schedued team meeting that Group A turned into a shit show one week. VPs investigated the situation and within one week, 7 days, Group A was cut loose and their development was moved from California to Washington DC. No more problems meeting delivery schedules once Group A was gone.

The difference is that where some people see cancer I simply see lobbying. Lobbying is disgusting, but it needs to be done, and there is a lot of money involved. It's the reason Fairfax, MoCo, Howard etc are such rich counties. It's like a salesman who drives a junker, people assume the salesman is not very good and is not selling a product people are buying. Lobbyists need to look like they have money and power behind them. The next guy in that seat I guarantee will have to follow along with D.C. rules to have a seat at the table. And if you are not at the table in DC you are on the menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom