• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    It'll be interesting to see what gets coughed up and offered to retail customers. I remember talking to Russell about his Ross rifle spares inventory once. He mentioned that his father bought it all from the US Naval Academy in Annapolis. Everything was from scrapped Ross MKIIs which were sold as training rifles to the US during WWI. Sadly after many decades there wasn't much left.
    In retrospect, I wish I had access to a camera equipped drone during the SS auction in the 90s. There was so much not for sale that was stacked and packed in crates on pallet racks, out of reach. Still remember climbing up to find a crate filled with barrelled FN49 actions.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    It'll be interesting to see what gets coughed up and offered to retail customers. I remember talking to Russell about his Ross rifle spares inventory once. He mentioned that his father bought it all from the US Naval Academy in Annapolis. Everything was from scrapped Ross MKIIs which were sold as training rifles to the US during WWI. Sadly after many decades there wasn't much left.
    In retrospect, I wish I had access to a camera equipped drone during the SS auction in the 90s. There was so much not for sale that was stacked and packed in crates on pallet racks, out of reach. Still remember climbing up to find a crate filled with barrelled FN49 actions.

Imagine the stuff from all the buyers that never made it into a warehouse or other form of storage that has been lost. (not to mention the factory/rebuild facilities)
    Probably better off not knowing. Especially all the records tools and fixtures. Could make you cry I bet.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Wish I could have taken photos/videos of that auction. Century and Sarco staff running all over the place. I'd say that 90% of what sold went to them as most everything was bundled in big lots geared for wholesalers (despite the auctioneer saying that C&R holders were welcome, what am I gonna do with a pallet of No4s?). Think Rock Island auctions but on steroids. You better have brought lots of big bills or you were going home empty-handed (as I did).

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Wish I could have taken photos/videos of that auction. Century and Sarco staff running all over the place. I'd say that 90% of what sold went to them as most everything was bundled in big lots geared for wholesalers (despite the auctioneer saying that C&R holders were welcome, what am I gonna do with a pallet of No4s?). Think Rock Island auctions but on steroids. You better have brought lots of big bills or you were going home empty-handed (as I did).

Come on that that was a great sale. I bought 20 British #7 barreled receivers an a pallet of #1 Mk3 gunsmith specials.

Yea, Century bought almost every complete rifle. The .410 bore #1's selling for $69 by SS, sold to Century for $20 then to us for $229.

Sucks to have been poor back then:sad20:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

I imagine the SAMCO Global fire-sale was essentially the same. Didn't take long for several companies to start selling bottom-of-the-barrel small-ring Spanish Mausers after that one was done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom