AR-10 Stripped Lower and Upper waiting period in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mar 4, 2017
    Recently I was in a gun shop browsing around and came across a AR-10 Stripped Upper and Lower that I liked and since I was looking to build a .308 I thought it was perfect. So I got some help and the person helping me told me that I would have to fill out a 77R and wait the 7 days. I questioned this stating that AR-10s, AR-10 lowers that are complete or stripped are not regulated in Maryland and therefor forgo the 77R and waiting period. The person claimed that any AR lower; stripped, complete, 10, 15, 9 or full AR guns are all regulated in the state of Maryland. I then stated that a stripped AR-10 lower is listed nowhere as regulated and is cash and carry provided I pass the 4473. The person continued to claim that I am wrong and that a stripped AR-10 lower is regulated. Does anyone have any information on this. Everything I can seem to find states that stripped AR-10 lowers are non regulated but can’t find anything on MSP website stating that, or any penal codes. Thank you.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    As far as i know all AR type stripped lowers are regulated because its registered as an "other". Not a handgun or a rifle and since it could theoretically be assembled into a pistol its treated as a pistol minus a hql requirement.

Mar 4, 2017
    Find a new LGS.

I will after this. Was going away for a week the day after so I decided **** it and put a deposit on it and went away. Forgot about it and got the call today that my 77R has expired. Don’t wanna lose the restocking fee but not going to wait 7 days again for a cash and carry item. Honestly just might say **** it and return it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 4, 2017
    This. AR-10 anything (this side of a completed pistol) should be cash-and-carry at any LGS with half a clue.

Exactly what I said. Person said well because you could make it into a piston it’s regulated like one. And I just looked at them and asked then why don’t I need to show you my HQL they just looked at me blankly.

Mar 4, 2017
    As far as i know all AR type stripped lowers are regulated because its registered as an "other". Not a handgun or a rifle and since it could theoretically be assembled into a pistol its treated as a pistol minus a hql requirement.

Everything I have found online states the opposite. MSP FAQ sheet even stated you can take a stripped lower and build a pistol without a HQL. If you could point me to a MSP page or Penal code that states what you say that would be really helpful.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    Everything I have found online states the opposite. MSP FAQ sheet even stated you can take a stripped lower and build a pistol without a HQL. If you could point me to a MSP page or Penal code that states what you say that would be really helpful.

Thats why i said minus an hql requirement because you dont need one to build it into a pistol. I said i didnt believe it was cash and carry because as crazy as it sounds, msp originally said it was cash and carry but later after finding out people were building some into pistols, starting going back on what they originally said and was telling some ffls to do a 77r on stripped ar10 receivers. You may want to specifically ask your ffl if msp told them that. They may just be doing what they were told. If some ffls will do it, more power to them. I have a hard time keeping up with the msp because they're so flippy floppy like how they were with cetmes.

Mar 4, 2017
    Thats why i said minus an hql requirement because you dont need one to build it into a pistol. I said i didnt believe it was cash and carry because as crazy as it sounds, msp originally said it was cash and carry but later after finding out people were building some into pistols, starting going back on what they originally said and was telling some ffls to do a 77r on stripped ar10 receivers. You may want to specifically ask your ffl if msp told them that. They may just be doing what they were told. If some ffls will do it, more power to them. I have a hard time keeping up with the msp because they're so flippy floppy like how they were with cetmes.

If you can provide me with a source that states that, that would be great. But again everything I have found does not list AR-10 as a banned weapon

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Exactly what I said. Person said well because you could make it into a piston it’s regulated like one. And I just looked at them and asked then why don’t I need to show you my HQL they just looked at me blankly.

Yep, time to get a new LGS. That's only valid for AR-15 lowers.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    If you can provide me with a source that states that, that would be great. But again everything I have found does not list AR-10 as a banned weapon

Sorry i dont have the phone conversation recorded and never seen it in writing. As far as banned, its not. There is no such thing as a regulated long gun you can transfer in MD unless its full auto. All long guns are either cash and carry or banned all together. A new receiver is not a long gun. I dont get whats the big deal is though. At this point id just pay the $10 and wait a week unless its all about the paper trail. I know its hindsight but i dont always assume ffls know the laws because ive found many dont so its important to ask questions before shelling out your hard earned cash.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Sorry i dont have the phone conversation recorded and never seen it in writing. As far as banned, its not. There is no such thing as a regulated long gun you can transfer in MD unless its full auto. All long guns are either cash and carry or banned all together. A new receiver is not a long gun. I dont get whats the big deal is though. At this point id just pay the $10 and wait a week unless its all about the paper trail. I know its hindsight but i dont always assume ffls know the laws because ive found many dont so its important to ask questions before shelling out your hard earned cash.

I think that the point is: dont incentivize FFLs who dont know the law by doing business with them.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    I think that the point is: dont incentivize FFLs who dont know the law by doing business with them.

I can definitely understand that but me personally, id want my deposit back. It seems like a no win situation and id be damned if they get my money for providing nothing but a headache. In that case they win twice.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The MSP made up the 7-day wait on AR-15 lowers anyways. I doubt it would stand up for a second in court if someone sued them over it, but it's just not worth the money to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom