• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Anybody have any free/online guides to training a puppy for waterfowling? I'm planning on starting training next week, and figured I'd ask the Braintrust here first.

LoveToShoot

Jun 4, 2015
    Bel Air, Md
    If you go to www.refugeforums.com and search the gundog forum, you can find some good info. It s been a while since I've frequented there but it used to be moderated by Evan Graham. He is the author of the training program called "Smartworks" which is what I used to get my dog to a MH level in hunt tests and a dog that everyone I ever hunted with was amazed by. The guys there are very accommodating and don't generally talk down to you when you ask basic questions.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    They will tell you to find a system and stick with it. They will also tell you their system works and the others suck. It is like a Ford, Chevy, Dodge and now Toyota truck thing. They all work, but the users all want to argue how theirs is better. Buy a DVD and watch it. I would recommend Water Dog as it is one and to the point. Some will say it is old and Smart works or some other system is better. They are all good, but you need to pick one and stay on it. I personally like the old systems better. This collar training to make dogs faster and breeding to make more hyper I think is negative to the breed and dogs. I never heard of so many dogs with CCL and ACL problems 30 to 40 years ago. IMO, field trails have changed the way dogs are breed and trained.

Watch it and start basic training. Then watch it again before advancing. Then watch it again and you'll learn more as you will understand more from working with your dog. I also read the book Ten Minute retriever and the entire point of the book is you only need ten minutes a day to make a exception dog, but you need to do it every day. Two days on the weekend for an hour at a time will not make up for the every day routine. You'll find your dog will learn to love those orange dummies. Keep training positive and those dummies are their special time with you. They will find training to be their favorite time of the day.

They will do whatever you ask as long s you learnt to think like a dog and explain it properly to them. This last sentence is 90% of learning to train a dog. Dogs understand one word, sometimes two together. Using sentences is not reasoning with a dog, it is building frustration in you as you won't treach the dog and you'll get tired. Get a DVD and watch it three times before buying or doing much except sit stay and other obedience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom