• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    https://www.recoilweb.com/measuring...a-pistol-atf-has-altered-the-deal-151346.html
    I poked around the different braced pistol threads and didn't see this posted anywhere yet. Looks like someone didn't get the memo to stop asking the ATF to clarify things with the brace. The clarified brace measurement is with the brace portion in its most compact form, since it doesn't count as part of the pistol that they care about. This is important if anyone's running a vertical foregrip on a braced pistol that they measured over 26" with the stock extended/unfolded.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 13.35.22.jpg
      Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 13.35.22.jpg
      69.6 KB · Views: 520

dremort

Jun 6, 2018
    Eastern Bloc MD
    Happy 4th! from the ATF.

Also to note is that if you have a folding stock on a stabilized pistol, you have to now measure OAL with stock FOLDED.

I do wonder if a law tactical folder on an AR pistol build falls under this since it's not "fully functional" with a collapsed brace. folder buffer tube.

Last edited:

kdmag88

Jan 10, 2018
    Really wish they would make SBR's legal just to save both us and the ATF all the trouble of trying to clarify dumb shit.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    Please forgive me, for I am an idiot, doesn't mean that pistol has to be under 26" and this letter now means that that OAL does not include the sliding brace fully extended? Which to me is a good thing, or am I way off?

Key words: braces "are not relevant" so therefore it is easier to comply with the <26" rule

I know with the MD 2013 law, OAL was with stock fully extended, which is also a good thing.

Subscribed.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Please forgive me, for I am an idiot, doesn't mean that pistol has to be under 26" and this letter now means that that OAL does not include the sliding brace fully extended? Which to me is a good thing, or am I way off?

Key words: braces "are not relevant" so therefore it is easier to comply with the <26" rule

I know with the MD 2013 law, OAL was with stock fully extended, which is also a good thing.

Subscribed.

If you have a vertical foregrip on it, it must be over 26". Some may have measured by the old method, put a VFG on it, and are now instant felons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom