• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I have found it takes a couple hundred rounds through mine to work out the bugs..

If customizing isn't a major factor, I've found that using used/trade-in Glock slides work best and require no break-in at all

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    If customizing isn't a major factor, I've found that using used/trade-in Glock slides work best and require no break-in at all

They can require break in regardless of new or used slide depending on how much polishing and sanding you do on the rails. The rails are often slightly oversized or slightly angled which seems to be what causes most of the tightness when racking.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    So the one thing that helped me out was polishing the forward block where the rails fit. A little aluminum polish with the dremel smooths things out quickly vs firing 100 rounds(same principle)

What surfaces are you polishing? Top? Or sides? Or both?

Thanks.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    They can require break in regardless of new or used slide depending on how much polishing and sanding you do on the rails. The rails are often slightly oversized or slightly angled which seems to be what causes most of the tightness when racking.

I said that I found that. Built several but always run the rails over sandpaper as part of the build process. Shown in several YouTube videos. I think most folks need to do a little more research before their first build IMHO

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    What surfaces are you polishing? Top? Or sides? Or both?

Thanks.
    So on the G19, I just did the top section of the rails. Mothers aluminum polish and a Dremel.

On the G20, the rails were a bit too wide, I ground those back a little and polished the tops of that one also.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    So on the G19, I just did the top section of the rails. Mothers aluminum polish and a Dremel.

On the G20, the rails were a bit too wide, I ground those back a little and polished the tops of that one also.

Good stuff, thank you.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I said that I found that. Built several but always run the rails over sandpaper as part of the build process. Shown in several YouTube videos. I think most folks need to do a little more research before their first build IMHO

So which videos do you suggest? A lot of what I'm finding is a waste of time.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I looked into building another G19 sized but can't find factory new complete slides. Might just have to order aftermarket with RMR cut but that gets pricy.

How does a G26 compare to a G43 and G19? I know in between and its double stacked..but I've yet to shoot a G26

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I looked into building another G19 sized but can't find factory new complete slides. Might just have to order aftermarket with RMR cut but that gets pricy.

How does a G26 compare to a G43 and G19? I know in between and its double stacked..but I've yet to shoot a G26

https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/

I’ve never used them but they seemed to have pretty much anything OEM Glock that you could want for Gen 3, 4, and 5.

DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    When I've checked with other carbine conversion manufacturers, they tell me the 80% kits don't work with their products. I'd be interested to know what mechtechsys has to say.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Thanks, not much cheaper than the link above (Bigtexoutdoors). I feel like used Glock parts should be super cheap given the complete used/turn in pistols are often below $300.

I haven't run across any that are cheaper. At least it's a full kit, minus the frame.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

.... snip....

I found that Glockstore dot com sells NEW Glock complete slides, BUT, they are NOT cheap. (Picked up a NEW G22 complete slide, a while back.)

For my "NG-17" (Not a Glock-17) I used a Brownell's slide.
    Yes, it was stripped, except the firing pin channel liner was installed.

I used all Glock parts in that slide, along with a new G17 barrel.

The slide was kinda tight on the rails, but, smoothed right up, using "0000" valve lapping compound and working the slide 100 times, by hand, then cleaning/lubing testing and lapping again, 2 more times.
    Finally, removing ALL traces of lapping compound, lubing per Glock specs.

I've not had an opportunity (until this past Monday evening - the 12th) to shoot this build.

10 rounds fired. 2 targets (USPSA/IDPA target). 3 shots in the torso, each. 2 shots in the head, each.
    All shots clustered together (on both targets).
    CCI Blazer 115 fmj ammo used.

ZERO malfunctions of any type.
    VERY accurate. I used this pistol (as a test run) in the 'bonus stage' at my club's "old guys" informal pistol match.

LOVE this pistol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

A couple of the old guys shot it, and seemed to like it.

Attachments

• NG17.jpg
      NG17.jpg
      197.2 KB · Views: 146

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom