• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    1st year using a climbing stand. Got a cheap F&S Stealth II. It has flat cables that are a pain to get to slide up the tree. Anyone had this problem before and have a fix? I thought about sliding a piece of rubber hose around the cables but not sure if that is a good idea.
    Thanks

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Do not modify the stand!

You should take it back, and get another one you are comfortable with.

This!!!!

To expand, how much have you used it? It took me a couple of seasons, maybe 20-30 climbs before I got fairly skilled at using mine. Takes some experience to really get it to shimmy up a tree and down. Also the type of bark heavily influenced how well it works. Really smooth bark is a NO go. Not safe. Super rough can be okay, but makes it hard to get up and down easy.

My 2 cents is fine a suitable tree and practice going up and down it a dozen or so times.

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    I picked up an API Grand Slap climber years ago used for a good price. If you decide to get rid of that one keep your eye open for a used one and if you go to the persons house don't be afraid to ask to climb a tree with it. Make sure your comfortable with it. After all you will be dangling from a tree for years to come in it. Might as well make sure you like it and its comfortable.

sub2000

Dec 19, 2016
    This!!!!

To expand, how much have you used it? It took me a couple of seasons, maybe 20-30 climbs before I got fairly skilled at using mine. Takes some experience to really get it to shimmy up a tree and down. Also the type of bark heavily influenced how well it works. Really smooth bark is a NO go. Not safe. Super rough can be okay, but makes it hard to get up and down easy.

My 2 cents is fine a suitable tree and practice going up and down it a dozen or so times.

I agree. You shouldn't modify a piece of safety equipment. You never know if your modification could inadvertently cause the support strap to slip. If you are satisfied with your current treestand, return it and get a suitable one instead.

Markpixs

Apr 23, 2011
    NOVA
    Shared on another post but also seems to fit here - Be safe, wear a harness, from this AM's scanner - Leonardtown| *Technical Rescue/trauma*| [redacted] Medleys Neck Rd| Male stuck approximately 27 feet up a tree secondary to a broken tree stand. Companies are bringing ladders and harness to access the patient who has an unspecified injury.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm a sucker for a good deal but there are 2 items I don't go cheap on. Motorcycle helmets and Climbers. Get yourself a Summit and be done with it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm a sucker for a good deal but there are 2 items I don't go cheap on. Motorcycle helmets and Climbers. Get yourself a Summit and be done with it.

And birth control.

Helmets, climbers and birth control.

And maybe lap dances.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm a summit fan boy myself!

That is likely my next climber. I went cheap for my first. Works fine, but not the most comfortable and it is a HEAVY steel beast. I've sat all day in it and it is uncomfortable. A few hours its fine. Mostly because it just has a mesh seat and no back, you need a back pad to sit comfortable. Works great though. But toting it with pack and rifle, or worse, crossbow sucks if you are going far. The 32lbs adds up on your back, especially when it doesn't have a waist belt and is big and awkward.

Buy once, cry once.

Torn between a Viper and a Mini Viper for me. Not sure if losing 2 inches from the platform and from the rest would be a big deal or not for comfort. Would sure help with carrying it, ignoring the whooping 2lbs of weight difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom