• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Any suggestions for a gunsmith with some expertise in M1 Garands? I took apart the trigger assembly on my Garand and was down to putting in the final pin when all hell broke loose and I've made a complete mess of it. Any suggestions for someone to help me sort it out? Hopefully not TOO far from the eastern shore...

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Any suggestions for a gunsmith with some expertise in M1 Garands? I took apart the trigger assembly on my Garand and was down to putting in the final pin when all hell broke loose and I've made a complete mess of it. Any suggestions for someone to help me sort it out? Hopefully not TOO far from the eastern shore...

Did something break? They are easy to take down and put together...

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Nothing broke. When I couldn’t fit the final pin in I started fiddling with things...like cocking the hammer and taking out the OTHER pin as well...hoping the pieces would simply fall apart and I could start over. So now I have parts that are not pinned in place but are under pressure and won’t release.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Haven't worked on one yet, but if they are like most rifles you can try using a set of punches to line things up a little at a time to get the pins back in place. Use a small punch then a slightly larger one, etc... until you have the alignment that is needed. Look at video to learn the proper procedure, then go slowly and do not force anything.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Well...leave it to me to be able to mess it up. I had a video playing and replaying constantly in front of me when I was trying to put the trigger group back together. And I tried using punches to line up the last pin but that last pin had pressure on it from the spring so it had to be lined up juuuust right. When I couldn't get that final pin in I tried other things to try to release the pressure and start over and...that's when all hell broke loose. So all the parts are under pressure and nothing is lined up any longer...

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Nothing broke. When I couldn’t fit the final pin in I started fiddling with things...like cocking the hammer and taking out the OTHER pin as well...hoping the pieces would simply fall apart and I could start over. So now I have parts that are not pinned in place but are under pressure and won’t release.

There’s a trick to that too. You wedge a flathead screwdriver in there, give it a little twist, and they’ll pop apart. Takes 5 seconds. CMP armorers teach it in their class.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    That gives me some hope...

I have attached a picture of the mess I've made. Can you give me some idea where in that mess I should be inserting the flat head screwdriver to pop it all loose?

And is it safe to say that I don't have to worry about bending any of the metal in the trigger group? I won't cause any damage by using a screwdriver as a lever arm?

M1 Garand trigger group.jpg

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    That gives me some hope...

I have attached a picture of the mess I've made. Can you give me some idea where in that mess I should be inserting the flat head screwdriver to pop it all loose?

And is it safe to say that I don't have to worry about bending any of the metal in the trigger group? I won't cause any damage by using a screwdriver as a lever arm?

View attachment 292059
    It’s been awhile, but I believe the hooks on the inside of the hammer (top hooks in your picture orientation) and the hooks on the trigger. Be careful as the parts fly apart spectacularly.

Edit to add—before I learned that trick I did the same thing as you the first time I detail stripped a Garand and used a vise to muscle the whole thing back together. I was swearing up a storm and sweating for an hour....

Orlando

Insert hammer pin, it should go in easy enough .Then take a punch about the same size as the trigger pin and insert it the opposite side the pin goes in. Pry on the punch which will move the trigger enough you can start to insert pin. Pull out punch as you are inserting pin.
    NEVER cock the hammer without the trigger pin inserted. Just about everyone has done it once. If you cant figure it out you can send it to me and I will fix it ,you just pay shipping

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Insert hammer pin, it should go in easy enough .Then take a punch about the same size as the trigger pin and insert it the opposite side the pin goes in. Pry on the punch which will move the trigger enough you can start to insert pin. Pull out punch as you are inserting pin.
    NEVER cock the hammer without the trigger pin inserted. Just about everyone has done it once. If you cant figure it out you can send it to me and I will fix it ,you just pay shipping

Indeed it was cocking the hammer without the trigger pin that was the kiss of death to my efforts.

Thanks SO much for the offer. I brought it to a local gunsmith the other day and paid a few bucks to have it put together right.

But with the excellent suggestion you made, I will try again tonight to take one apart and see if I can get it put back together right this time.

And if I screw up again I might very well be in touch with you. Are you in Maryland or in a neighboring state? I would love to watch someone go through the process and try it out myself under someone's watchful eye...

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    It’s been along time since I’ve done it, but I’ve done it many times as I’ve polished Sears and what not. And I don’t recall using anything other than my hands to do it look on YouTube I’m sure you’ll find plenty of videos on it

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    There are excellent disassembly instructions on the CMP site. I think someone linked to them earlier in this thread. With those instructions, I've had no trouble detail stripping and reassembling Garands.
    It helps to have a small clamp when reassembling the trigger group.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Charlie Maloney if Catonsville isn't too far for you. http://www.charliemaloney.com

Years ago Atlantic Guns had a wall of M1's that Charlie did, The wood was gorgeous , I was in college at the time and broke supporting what shooting I was into then . But I wanted one , They had a guy working in back , Paul that worked with Charlie at Fulton Armory and told me that he and Charlie would keep the best parts for their own gun builds , Fulton would buy scrap parts from Military and dump them out in the parking lot and sort them then Parkerize them and sell for new and make guns .
    I was never sure if he was telling me the truth or he was a disgruntled employee . I still remember that wall of M1's every time I see one and I judge them by those ,

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom