• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    And now I'm hearing a lot of guys talking 357 Mag out of a rifle for deer with the new straight wall cartridge law in Maryland. I don't think it will reach 1200 ft lbs in a rifle, though (just to add another dimension to the discussion).

While the reg is on the books, who is going to ask you to show them your ammo box? It simply doesn't happen. I plan on hunting deer this year with my Glock G20 with a 6 inch lone wolf barrel and Buffalo Bore heavies. I'm not going to chrono my ammo before I hunt. Is that round capable of 700 pounds? Yep...but the manufacturer says right on their webpage that they don't guarantee it because results vary from gun to gun...Am I worried that the NRP might come sweeping in, take my ammo and go test it? Nope...and neither should anyone else. .357 will kill a deer...i've done it...a heavy round with a 6 inch barrel will get you close if not over...but that 158 grn softpoint will do the job just fine.

And now I'm hearing a lot of guys talking 357 Mag out of a rifle for deer with the new straight wall cartridge law in Maryland. I don't think it will reach 1200 ft lbs in a rifle, though (just to add another dimension to the discussion).

I've hunted with my Marlin 357 for years in rifle counties. I've had my license and permission checked by the NRP many times with that rifle slung on my shoulder and none of them ever even asked to see it or what it was...

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015

See my 357 158 thread. Chrono results with an 18" barrel and blazer brass ammo. It makes 1200 foot pounds.

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    You might have to go with a heavier cast bullet. I managed to get 1300 fps from a 4" S&W M686 with a 187 gr bullet. That makes the 700 ft lbs. An extra 2" would add a bit more velocity.

SlugCaster

Nov 14, 2016
    Dude, look above it! Their 158 grain load goes 1457 fps in a 5" barrel S&W! That's 745 ft/lbs before you add an inch of barrel.
    IT WILL DO MORE IN A 6"!!
    Damn!!:sad20:

Yes, look at the details.
    Oh, and you're welcome!

maryland DNR LEGAL MINIMUM IS 6" barrel. we don't care what a 5" barrel can do. can you not read or you just choose to not read ?

silverwolf

Feb 14, 2011
    maryland DNR LEGAL MINIMUM IS 6" barrel. we don't care what a 5" barrel can do. can you not read or you just choose to not read ?

He gave the muzzle energy out of a 5" barrel and stated that it will have even higher muzzle energy out of a 6" barrel. Can you not read or do you just choose to not read?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I don't understand the point of this thread. 700 ft.lbs. apparently can be readily achieved by other (readily available) bullet weights...so why not just use them? :shrug:

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico

OK, I feel like my IQ has dropped just reading your posts and responses. You have no grasp of ballistics, ability to reason, nor any common sense. Obviously, you dont have the mental capacity to even own a gun. Sell yours before something tragic happens.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    While the reg is on the books, who is going to ask you to show them your ammo box? It simply doesn't happen. I plan on hunting deer this year with my Glock G20 with a 6 inch lone wolf barrel and Buffalo Bore heavies. I'm not going to chrono my ammo before I hunt. Is that round capable of 700 pounds? Yep...but the manufacturer says right on their webpage that they don't guarantee it because results vary from gun to gun...Am I worried that the NRP might come sweeping in, take my ammo and go test it? Nope...and neither should anyone else. .357 will kill a deer...i've done it...a heavy round with a 6 inch barrel will get you close if not over...but that 158 grn softpoint will do the job just fine.

Stop with the common sense already ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom