• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apr 1, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    OK, it finally came this past Tuesday giving me 19 days from submission.
    Some said this was going to be a horrible experience, but if you've ever purchased a regulated firearm in Maryland I'd say it wasn't that bad. Now I certainly do not agree that we should have to do this but I don't believe you should let it stop you from purchasing firearms. So this Thursday I purchased my first HQL firearm, a Springfield 1911 (Range Officer) at FreeState so now I'm in the 8 day wait to pick it up.

Here's a my recap of the experience..

You will need to create an account which will allow you to complete the sections at your own pace and come back anytime to finish the application. The status of your application can also be checked in the account after submission.

The total cost of HQL without training was $50 for the HQL and the cost of the fingerprinting, which can vary from place to place. You don't need to have done fingerprints to start the process, but you will need the information to compete the application.

There is a list of some fingerprint providers on the site (http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicservs/fingerprint.shtml ) but a Google search may find others.

The HQL website can be reached at:

https://emdsp.mdsp.org/egov/Login.aspx

The website recommends using "Microsoft's Internet Explorer" web browser, however, I used a different browser without problems (even used an iPad to complete some sections).

You will have to read carefully and there's no easy button to click that says "Start Here" or "New Account".

If you already own a Firearm I'd start here to create a new account:
    https://emdsp.mdsp.org/egov/PersonSearchResults.aspx

With the required fingerprint paperwork, a credit card and a serial number/information from one of your registered firearms (to bypass the training requirement) you could complete the whole thing.

I wonder how others have found the process?
    Has anyone else purchased a firearm with their HQL ?

Thanks to everyone who posted HQL information?

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    started the app but one thing that isn't clear to me is which form do I use for the exemption due to owning a regulated firearm prior to 10/1? the one page looks like for those that received training, the other looks like it takes a course certificate #... I must be missing is somewhere but so far don't see it.

circadia

Jan 19, 2013
    Arbutus
    started the app but one thing that isn't clear to me is which form do I use for the exemption due to owning a regulated firearm prior to 10/1? the one page looks like for those that received training, the other looks like it takes a course certificate #... I must be missing is somewhere but so far don't see it.

You use the "HQL Training Exempt" form. That application has a section where you'll enter a serial number and some other descriptive info about a regulated firearm that you owned prior to October 1.

Attachments

• hql-training-exempt.jpg
      hql-training-exempt.jpg
      71.5 KB · Views: 1,915

rdblan2

Mar 10, 2007
    I filled in everything online except uploading my 214 and livescan number. I suppose once I pay the fee and wait a few days I'll be able to exercise my rights.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I am exempt from the training requirement. I followed the same procedure but due to a technical error on the MSP side, some of my data did not get transmitted. Now I am in potential 30 day wait until the MSP IT folks can figure out how to resolve the issue.

The MSP told me I could start the process again but I would be charged another $50 fee.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Can everything be done on line or do you have to take your prints to Pikesville?

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    Once you have had your fingerprints taken, your fingerprint agent will submit those to MSP, and then you reference your fingerprint number on the online MSP application. Pretty easy. No trips to Pikesville.

rdblan2

Mar 10, 2007
    I went into FYI fingerprinting this morning in Ellicott City. About 8 people in front of me. 10 minutes after getting there, the guy was still in the back working on the same person. I didn't have that kind of time. When the old dude that smelled like a 10 year old ash tray came in and sat next to me, it was time to go.

I'll try again tomorrow.

quantum

Apr 5, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    What if you own a qualifying handgun for exemption, but moved into the state so it isn't registered? Should I register one of my handguns just to get around the training? This state is crazy compared to PA. Thanks.

circadia

Jan 19, 2013
    Arbutus
    I am exempt from the training requirement. I followed the same procedure but due to a technical error on the MSP side, some of my data did not get transmitted. Now I am in potential 30 day wait until the MSP IT folks can figure out how to resolve the issue.

The MSP told me I could start the process again but I would be charged another $50 fee.

Oh that sucks. They should let you give them the info over the phone. Or if it's a document attachment that didn't transmit, they should let you email it to them or bring it in in person. I hope you get it resolved one way or another quickly.

What if you own a qualifying handgun for exemption, but moved into the state so it isn't registered? Should I register one of my handguns just to get around the training? This state is crazy compared to PA. Thanks.

You should be able to do the HQL Training Exempt application. I didn't see anything in the MSP website that said you had to have a regulated firearm purchased in Maryland to be exempt from the training; it just says you have to have owned one before October 1. You could always call the MSP and ask if you want to be absolutely sure before starting the application, but here's what it says on their website:

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component

1. Someone who completed a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary.
    2. Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
    3. Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
    4. Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
    5. Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
    6. Lawfully owns a regulated firearm. If you already own a handgun or assault weapon prior to October 1, 2013, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.

Daddyursus

Trusted Shellback
    Jan 11, 2013
    In a van down by the river
    So I just got back from my local Sheriffs office, DEMANDING they take my fingerprints IAW the current Maryland State law.

The fingerprinting was easy and I even enjoyed the complete body shaving and defoliation for DNA sample collection. Heck, I didn't even mind the water boarding having experienced it several times during SERE training. BUT the Taser to the nipples, well that gave me quite a jolt.

Am planning to wait a day or so before completing my MSP on-line application. Just in case they plan to do that Taser thingy again when I claim "Training Exempt"

Daddyursus

Trusted Shellback
    Jan 11, 2013
    In a van down by the river
    Finger prints and application submitted 10/29/13. Active license 10/30/13. Thats about 24hrs total. With all the gun owners in Maryland. My club alone has 600 members. My license number was under 1700

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom