MD Resident buying a handgun from out of state resident (Private Sale)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    To all of those members that say that buying a firearm with the intent to immediately sell it to another makes it a straw purchase point me to the law or a case that shows this interpretation? I am just trying to better my understanding of the law not trying to argue the point from this thread.

Mar 4, 2017
    To all of those members that say that buying a firearm with the intent to immediately sell it to another makes it a straw purchase point me to the law or a case that shows this interpretation? I am just trying to better my understanding of the law not trying to argue the point from this thread.

That was my question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mar 4, 2017
    There is an Industry Partner on this forum, JLowesGuns in Northeast MD who sells them for $599. I don't know if the OP has checked into DE FFL + shipping + MD FFL, but I'm willing to bet the three combined cost more than the $100 difference.

http://www.jlowesguns.com/GLOCK-G17-G4-MOS-9MM-PG1750203MOS_p_486.html

Usually with purchasing from a DE FFL they ship for free since you are purchasing from them. At least that's what it seems like to me after talking to some shops in DE as well as Georgia when I was down there. As for transferring it my local FFL only charges around $50 for a transfer

Usually with purchasing from a DE FFL they ship for free since you are purchasing from them. At least that's what it seems like to me after talking to some shops in DE as well as Georgia when I was down there. As for transferring it my local FFL only charges around $50 for a transfer

Shipping a pistol will cost a FFL $20+, not including their additional time and effort. They will not ship a pistol for free- especially considering the uber low sale price.
    I'm going to leave this thread, as my Spidey Senses are starting to jibe with 80% of the other posters who think you're up to no good.
    Please don't break the law, it makes us law abiding guys look bad.

Mar 4, 2017
    Shipping a pistol will cost a FFL $20+, not including their additional time and effort. They will not ship a pistol for free- especially considering the uber low sale price.

I'm going to leave this thread, as my Spidey Senses are starting to jibe with 80% of the other posters who think you're up to no good.

Please don't break the law, it makes us law abiding guys look bad.

Like I said multiple times I am purchasing the gun myself at the DE Store myself and having it shipped to MD. I got my Answer and decided to purchase it myself and not risk it based on the different answers I got. No where did I said i was going to break the law and when I was informed it would be a straw purchase I stated I would be not going through the process because of the risk and buying it myself then only further asked question to inform myself and gain more knowledge.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Like I said multiple times I am purchasing the gun myself at the DE Store myself and having it shipped to MD. I got my Answer and decided to purchase it myself and not risk it based on the different answers I got. No where did I said i was going to break the law and when I was informed it would be a straw purchase I stated I would be not going through the process because of the risk and buying it myself then only further asked question to inform myself and gain more knowledge.

GOOD idea.

That is what we were pointing towards you doing.

Much cleaner and legal.

Enjoy your purchase.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    One last thought, if this turns out not to be a MOS model. Might be cheaper in total costs to buy it in MD. That said, 500.00 is a great cost for MOS version as it is well below common WHOLESALE price.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mar 4, 2017
    GOOD idea.

That is what we were pointing towards you doing.

Much cleaner and legal.

Enjoy your purchase.

Yes I determined that pretty early on I just was continuing conversation for knowledge sake.

One last thought, if this turns out not to be a MOS model. Might be cheaper in total costs to buy it in MD. That said, 500.00 is a great cost for MOS version as it is well below common WHOLESALE price.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yes gotta defiantly make sure it's the correct
    Model because then I'm paying $100+ to have the slide milled out.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Why not convince your friend that he could make an extra $5 if he sold you the Glock? If he is like most enterprising Americans he will see the wisdom in "flipping" to make some beer money. Have it legally transferred wait 7 days and enjoy your new handgun.

Because according to federal law... he would STILL have to get the pistol shipped from a Del FFL overnight to a Md FFL. And could still run afoul of the law and end up never being allowed to own a firearm again.

Just go to the FFL in Del... buy the damn gun and have it shipped to a and FFL where the legal transfer can then be completed.

Why make a simple process so difficult and risk losing one's 2A Rights? Any pennies saved would not be worth the trouble purchased.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    And if you read the thread you would see where I admitted I used horrible wording and cleared up the situation.

Just an FYI for you...

Your first story... was CLEARLY worded...
    You changed the wording, claiming you misspoke...
    In doing so... you made it "appear" that you simply changed the story.

"Horrible wording"? :shrug:
    Completely changed story to "new and improved wording", which just happens to "sound" more legal? :shrug:

The confusion here is self created... and to a trained and experienced investigator... "appears" to be highly suspect. So...

If you truly ARE what and who you claim to be... please take this thread as a valuable lesson and enjoy your legally purchased pistol. With a welcome to the community of pro 2A folks who want and welcome new members who do it legal.

If you are not... (and I am NOT accusing you) then please exit stage left and have a nice life. :cool:

Peace.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The end buyer/owner. When he buys it he swears he is the person intending to be the end owner. If he missed that part of the written instructions, that's his fault; its in there.

You have already said he bought it intending to sell it to you, which is a federal crime. That's all there is.

So. How long is the mandatory ownership time frame for someone before they can sell a firearm??

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So. How long is the mandatory ownership time frame for someone before they can sell a firearm??

It depends on whether you post on an open forum that the person purchasing is buying to sell back to you. :D

I would say there are a number of factors, mostly subjective. How often has the person done this? How soon after purchase? etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom