• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Do you guys think this is going to be broad judicial decision or a very narrow ruling?

The antis seem concerned that it will be broader than merely a smack-down of some specific aspect of the absurd NY law in question. Since I live in Maryland, I am an expertly trained Master Pessimist, and will expect absolutely nothing good - the better to be pleasantly surprised if we get something like a Heller moment out of this. But even if it IS narrow, anything that rubs NY gun grabbers the wrong way is a good thing.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Do you guys think this is going to be broad judicial decision or a very narrow ruling?

My guess is they will use this case to implement strict scrutiny for 2nd Amendment cases which will kick all the cases where various circuits have applied "creative scrutiny" back down the judicial ladder for rehearing. Then SCOTUS will watch and see which cases make it back to them before taking another case. True strict scrutiny will kill most anti gun legislation because it sets a high bar for any law to reach.

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    Ideally the conservatives go full Taney and just make a broad proclamation against all 2A infringements and just use this case as an excuse to do it. Realistically a narrow decision that makes no one happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    My guess is they will use this case to implement strict scrutiny for 2nd Amendment cases which will kick all the cases where various circuits have applied "creative scrutiny" back down the judicial ladder for rehearing. Then SCOTUS will watch and see which cases make it back to them before taking another case. True strict scrutiny will kill most anti gun legislation because it sets a high bar for any law to reach.

Nailed it. This is the best possible outcome of this particular case.

As Occam noted, the libs are claiming the sky will fall when they lose this case. Best case scenario - this case will set the stage for their sky to fall slowly in many cases over time.

ETA: this seems to be what esqappellate has been saying up thread, and I think we can all agree that he knows what he’s talking about

Last edited:

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    While the specifics of the NY case (the draconian transportation laws) do not impact MD, or really anyone else, if the SCOTUS overturns the NY law by applying strict scrutiny, THAT is a meaningful impact. The SCOTUS may up the protection of 2A rights to the elevated status as a right that 1A enjoys.

The antis seem concerned that it will be broader than merely a smack-down of some specific aspect of the absurd NY law in question. Since I live in Maryland, I am an expertly trained Master Pessimist, and will expect absolutely nothing good - the better to be pleasantly surprised if we get something like a Heller moment out of this. But even if it IS narrow, anything that rubs NY gun grabbers the wrong way is a good thing.

Nailed it. This is the best possible outcome of this particular case.

As Occam noted, the libs are claiming the sky will fall when they lose this case. Best case scenario - this case will set the stage for their sky to fall slowly in many cases over time.

ETA: this seems to be what esqappellate has been saying up thread, and I think we can all agree that he knows what he’s talking about
    If this comes to pass, its impact is difficult to overstate...though it will still take time and more cases as infringements are pulled down brick by brick...the same way they were built up.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    With Roberts siding with the liberal justices more and more I don't think this is a slam-dunk for us.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    With Roberts siding with the liberal justices more and more I don't think this is a slam-dunk for us.

Maybe. But justices, like the rest of us, don' t really fall into simple, caricaturish, categories. I know "conservatives" who hate firearms, and "liberals" who have enjoyed time at the range and understand that not everyone who owns a gun is evil or crazy.

And, sometimes, on occasion, a justice actually makes a decision on a basis of rational interpretation of law, rather than his or her feelings about the issue.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

With Roberts I feel when in doubt he tends to lean granting more freedom than less. I have no issue with that, it is easier to limit later on down the road than it is to return freedom.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    The word on Cam and Company, a couple days ago, is the gun control groups are trying to get the legislature to change the law enough that it would have to go back through the entire process again. Enough changes that the supreme court couldn't take the case until it starts over through the appeals process.

Can anyone smarter than I explain this.

Amigo109

Jan 25, 2018
    Columbia MD
    call me naive but I don't understand how any judge could not rule the NY law unconstitutional. I don't understand how things have gotten to the state they are other than corrupt judges who care nothing for their oath or the constitution and instead wish to issue in a new age of rules and regulation.

Shall not be infringed seems pretty clear. You cannot trade freedom for safety (perceived/debatable safety at that). The argument that a gun, or type of gun is not needed now (debatable) does not impact whether one will be needed in the future. Need should not enter the equation.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    call me naive but I don't understand how any judge could not rule the NY law unconstitutional. I don't understand how things have gotten to the state they are other than corrupt judges who care nothing for their oath or the constitution and instead wish to issue in a new age of rules and regulation.

Shall not be infringed seems pretty clear. You cannot trade freedom for safety (perceived/debatable safety at that). The argument that a gun, or type of gun is not needed now (debatable) does not impact whether one will be needed in the future. Need should not enter the equation.

Right, that is why the gun control groups are pushing hard to get the legislature to act. They have a super majority which they didn't have previous. The groups know the law is unconstitutional but they also know they have activists judges helping them. The supreme court they don't think is in their favor so they are changing the rules.

Congress needs to start impeaching federal judges but that will never happen. It is a real travesty how the left treats our country. Its disgusting and shameful. I used to think they just had different beliefs and to each is own but as time goes on they are proving themselves to be immoral and disgustingly evil.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Maybe. But justices, like the rest of us, don' t really fall into simple, caricaturish, categories. I know "conservatives" who hate firearms, and "liberals" who have enjoyed time at the range and understand that not everyone who owns a gun is evil or crazy.

And, sometimes, on occasion, a justice actually makes a decision on a basis of rational interpretation of law, rather than his or her feelings about the issue.

Yea, cases shouldn’t have a D or R attached to them.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

Whether something is infringed depends on what the right actually refers to. SCOTUS has never affirmed an unlimited right and has explicitly stated so in Heller. While it stated that the DC law would not meet any standard of scrutiny and that the 2A takes certain policy decisions off the table, they failed to articulate any reasons.

Without any additional guidance the lower courts have filled in the missing reasoning with 1A guidance. SCOTUS has failed to intervene.

Amigo109

Jan 25, 2018
    Columbia MD
    Whether something is infringed depends on what the right actually refers to. SCOTUS has never affirmed an unlimited right and has explicitly stated so in Heller. While it stated that the DC law would not meet any standard of scrutiny and that the 2A takes certain policy decisions off the table, they failed to articulate any reasons.

Without any additional guidance the lower courts have filled in the missing reasoning with 1A guidance. SCOTUS has failed to intervene.

I'm no legal scholar, but I recall hearing a pretty compelling argument that the right to bear arms was not limited to a well organized militia. So in my layman's opinion, the 2A pretty clearly spells out what right it protects.

But even the most clearly stated language is not enough to keep people that don't agree with the policy from turning it on it's heels.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I'm no legal scholar, but I recall hearing a pretty compelling argument that the right to bear arms was not limited to a well organized militia. So in my layman's opinion, the 2A pretty clearly spells out what right it protects.

But even the most clearly stated language is not enough to keep people that don't agree with the policy from turning it on it's heels.

According to Heller it is a preexisting right so the 2A does not define anything new. Repealing it would not change anything either because the right exists outside of the amendment.

The judges are not claiming that they disagree with the policy. They are claiming that they are following the law and SCOTUS has not stepped in to correct this claim until this case.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    According to Heller it is a preexisting right so the 2A does not define anything new. Repealing it would not change anything either because the right exists outside of the amendment.

The judges are not claiming that they disagree with the policy. They are claiming that they are following the law and SCOTUS has not stepped in to correct this claim until this case.

Congress can repeal an amendment. They cannot repeal a Right. The Right existed before the amendment, the Right will exist after its' repeal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom