• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWB13

Apr 9, 2019
    Calvert Co.
    Hello, I'm a newer member so if this is a violation my apologies. I'm just getting into hunting/sport shooting and am looking for a gun safe from the 10-18 holding range. I figured that I would try used before purchasing new. Thanks.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    first rule of gun safes (and sheds, garages and pretty much everything), is get MORE than you think you need or will need. and keep in mind a safe rated for 10-18 guns will generally hold way less, especially if your guns are scoped, and also if you don't want them banging against each other.

ngman

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2013
    Western Howard County
    Checkout estate sales. I came across several on estatesales. net, before I found what I was looking for. Just be ready to move it and get there early.

Jul 1, 2012
    first rule of gun safes (and sheds, garages and pretty much everything), is get MORE than you think you need or will need. and keep in mind a safe rated for 10-18 guns will generally hold way less, especially if your guns are scoped, and also if you don't want them banging against each other.

this x 10 :)

depending where you are, try Carolina Safes in Waldorf, they often have used "trade-ins" and usually have a lot of different interesting things to look at and compare.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i just got a huge safe at costco for $750 delivered after $150 off. frankly it's not the thickness/quality of my ft knox (yes, out of space in that one), but either can be pretty easily breached with an angle grinder. at $750 though it's a pretty good value. i think they put it on sale a couple times a year.

Cannon CS72 Executive Series Safe 43.8 CuFt, 60 min Fire Protection, 45"W x 28"D x 59"H, Electronic Lock
    Item # 1142651

$ 899.99

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    This. I've recently encountered a problem with my handguns in that I have enough that I'm going to have to either reorganize my safe and remove some things that I typically keep in there, or I'm going to have to get a rack of some sort to store the pistols vertically.

I'm also getting low on space for my long guns. To be fair, I have another row behind where I store mine, but it's not very accessible.

Used could be a good option, but remember to look at a safe as an investment. Some guys have no problem spending a couple of grand on a tricked out rifle, or they have an accumulation of fine handguns (Sigs, H&Ks, high end 1911s, etc) that all cost $1000+, but they have an issue spending money on a safe that keeps their guns secure and safe from the average Freddie Felon, or small house fire.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    +1 on bigger. Gun safes and storage units never hold what they advertise. (Or maybe I just don’t pack them right without stuff bumping and scratching )

Go big or ... be disappointed later.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Eventually, you'll own one or 20 ARs. ARs take up twice as much room as a shotgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom