• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Always wanted one. Always thought I would get a Gerber. After the last Gerber knife I bought, not sure I want a Gerber anymore.

I did about 10 minutes of searching so far and came across a company called Cold Steel. Anybody ever buy anything made by them? Price wise, they are really inexpensive. Inexpensive doesn't always mean garbage though. Most of my friends from Italy think I am nuts when spending $50+ on a knife. After hearing about what I spent on knives, some of them have given me knives as presents when they have come to the states.

https://www.coldsteel.com/products/fixed-knives.html

Any recommendations other than Gerber and Cold Steel for under $100?

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    I don't have any of their blades, but CS is supposed to have pretty good products if you want something new. Ebay has a pretty good selection of modern cheapos and "vintage" ones ranging from $8-$400. The one in the link below is either the same or just very similar to the one I have. We kept it in the barn for about 15 years till I rescued it. Used it daily for cutting baling twine and opening bags of feed without ever sharpening it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pakistan-F...554549?hash=item23b9a689b5:g:VMQAAOSwSk5cpH0b

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I have a bunch of stuff from Cold Steel, and I love all of it. The Katana, Wakasashi, heavy duty sword cane and Kobun came razor sharp from the factory, and their training models (reinforced polymer) are extremely durable, as well as surprisingly sharp for non-metal edges.

Probably not going to impress an edge snob, but I think their products are a superior value and plenty good enough for my needs.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Older Gerbers were good but those days are long gone. Cold Steel is decent. I'd prefer a Spyderco. I also like Kershaw, but many models have assisted opening, which I'd rather not have. Benchmade is also solid.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    OP: Is this a fun purchase or something you intend to intend to rely upon? For fun Gerber, SOG, Cold Steel, Kershaw, Smith and Wesson, Boker, and Schrade all make stuff in that price range. For something you might need to use, I would recommend the Benchmade SOCP dagger. It does not take up much room and is within your budget. Slightly above your budget is what I use as a last ditch holdout stabby thing for work: Half Face Blades Pneumo Spike. It does not have an edge though, just a point.

If you really want people to think you are crazy for spending a lot of money on a knife, I recommend looking at Half Face Blades Ring Daggers or the Spartan Blades version of the SOCP dagger. HFB and Toor Knives also make various other daggers that are very nice. They would all be 3-4x your stated budget but the quality is much higher than what you are looking at.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Cold Steel is a good company. Their CEO, Lynn Thompson can be a little nutty at times but their products are good quality for the money. They are a stauch 2a supporter and, at least when my brother went through buds, their US made SRK model is standard issue for the Navy SEALs

Interestingly enough, they never really capitalized on that marketing opportunity, preferring to simply provide a good quality product to the military because they believed it was their duty as Americans to do so. (At least that was what Mr. Thompson said when I asked him many years ago at one of their factory sales)

All that said, their products are made to a price point. Their steels are very rarely of the "super" variety, usually 440c or carbon steel. Nothing wrong with either of those steels, by the way.

Their actions are sometimes gritty, and their version of Benchmades ARC-lock should be avoided, but their liner and lock back offerings are great.

I still have a couple of cold steels in the collection, which I have had for almost 20 years, a US made SRK and a pro-lite 4" folder. Both have been great work horses.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Does Marylandistan have carry restrictions on fixed blade knives?
    Yes. Open Carry of fixed blades is legal but I'm pretty sure double edge fixed blades cannot be carried. Concealed carry of a fixed blade is not legal. I'm not sure how any of that changes with a wear and carry permit.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    As others have said Cold steel is decent for the money, along with Ontario and Ka-bar. Probably the minimum that can hold up, and they have some cool designs. Much will depend on what you want to do with it, being you can't conceal a fixed blade in MD, the options to use it as intended are kinda limited. If it's just to collect something, Sgian-dubh are cool, and there are a ton of varieties.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    OP: Is this a fun purchase or something you intend to intend to rely upon? For fun Gerber, SOG, Cold Steel, Kershaw, Smith and Wesson, Boker, and Schrade all make stuff in that price range. For something you might need to use, I would recommend the Benchmade SOCP dagger. It does not take up much room and is within your budget. Slightly above your budget is what I use as a last ditch holdout stabby thing for work: Half Face Blades Pneumo Spike. It does not have an edge though, just a point.

If you really want people to think you are crazy for spending a lot of money on a knife, I recommend looking at Half Face Blades Ring Daggers or the Spartan Blades version of the SOCP dagger. HFB and Toor Knives also make various other daggers that are very nice. They would all be 3-4x your stated budget but the quality is much higher than what you are looking at.

Will I really "use" a double edged boot knife for its intended purpose of stabbing somebody? Probably not. Kind of like all the handguns I have. I have them, but I seriously doubt I will ever shoot anybody with them. This is more of a fun purchase for me as I have plenty of knives from Gerber (e.g., three Gerber EZ outs) and Buck that I use for hunting and fishing.

Definitely not buying a Benchmade after that entire cutting up guns fiasco, so I will take a look at Kershaw and Sypderco.

No way I am spending more than $100 on this knife. Never spent more than $100 on a knife. I'd rather put the extra $300 toward another gun than spend $400 on a knife.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Yes. Open Carry of fixed blades is legal but I'm pretty sure double edge fixed blades cannot be carried. Concealed carry of a fixed blade is not legal. I'm not sure how any of that changes with a wear and carry permit.

Is there really something in the law that says double edged blades cannot be carried? Is it because they have no purpose other than to kill something?

I know the law on fixed blade knives and that they must be open carried. Just not sure about the double edged fixed blade not being able to be legally carried at all.

vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    Others knowing more about this will provide more detail. A dirk/dagger are considered to be doubled edged.

2010 Maryland Code
    CRIMINAL LAW
    TITLE 4 - WEAPON CRIMES
    Subtitle 1 - General Provisions
    Section 4-101 - Dangerous weapons.

§ 4-101. Dangerous weapons.

(a) Definitions.-

(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.

(2) "Nunchaku" means a device constructed of two pieces of any substance, including wood, metal, or plastic, connected by any chain, rope, leather, or other flexible material not exceeding 24 inches in length.

(3) (i) "Pepper mace" means an aerosol propelled combination of highly disabling irritant pepper-based products.

(ii) "Pepper mace" is also known as oleoresin capsicum (o.c.) spray.

(4) "Star knife" means a device used as a throwing weapon, consisting of several sharp or pointed blades arrayed as radially disposed arms about a central disk.

(5) (i) "Weapon" includes a dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku.

(ii) "Weapon" does not include:

1. a handgun; or

2. a penknife without a switchblade.

(b) Exceptions for certain individuals.- This section does not prohibit the following individuals from carrying a weapon:

(1) an officer of the State, or of any county or municipal corporation of the State, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the officer's official equipment, or by any conservator of the peace, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the conservator's official equipment, or by any officer or conservator of the peace of another state who is temporarily in this State;

(2) a special agent of a railroad;

(3) a holder of a permit to carry a handgun issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article; or

(4) an individual who carries the weapon as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger, subject to the right of the court in an action arising under this section to judge the reasonableness of the carrying of the weapon, and the proper occasion for carrying it, under the evidence in the case.

(c) Prohibited.-

(1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person.

(2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.

(3) (i) This paragraph applies in Anne Arundel County, Baltimore County, Caroline County, Cecil County, Harford County, Kent County, Montgomery County, Prince George's County, St. Mary's County, Talbot County, Washington County, and Worcester County.

(ii) A minor may not carry a dangerous weapon between 1 hour after sunset and 1 hour before sunrise, whether concealed or not, except while:

1. on a bona fide hunting trip; or

2. engaged in or on the way to or returning from a bona fide trap shoot, sport shooting event, or any organized civic or military activity.

(d) Penalties.-

(1) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $1,000 or both.

(2) For a person convicted under subsection (c)(1) or (2) of this section, if it appears from the evidence that the weapon was carried, concealed or openly, with the deliberate purpose of injuring or killing another, the court shall impose the highest sentence of imprisonment prescribed.

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 36; 2002, ch. 26, § 2; ch. 213, § 6; ch. 571, § 1; 2003, ch. 17; ch. 21, § 1.]

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    What is the plan for said knife, just a middle finger to the state? You can't carry it, and it doesn't do anything, that a different blade couldn't. $80-100 is to much for a letter opener.:D

Cold Steel has some decent knives, I concur with the Benchmade statement. My Griptilian is my fav EDC, but if I replaced it it would not be another Benchmade. RAT knives are pretty good too and affordable.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    What is the plan for said knife, just a middle finger to the state? You can't carry it, and it doesn't do anything, that a different blade couldn't. $80-100 is to much for a letter opener.:D

Cold Steel has some decent knives, I concur with the Benchmade statement. My Griptilian is my fav EDC, but if I replaced it it would not be another Benchmade. RAT knives are pretty good too and affordable.

IN MD a dagger can be open carried, probably OK by the letter of the law if carried like a Scottish Sgian-dubh, handle exposed above a boot or sock with shorts/kilt. Can't even do that in PA, double edged="offensive weapon", although single edged fixed blades are OK concealed on open up here.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Will I really "use" a double edged boot knife for its intended purpose of stabbing somebody? Probably not. Kind of like all the handguns I have. I have them, but I seriously doubt I will ever shoot anybody with them. This is more of a fun purchase for me as I have plenty of knives from Gerber (e.g., three Gerber EZ outs) and Buck that I use for hunting and fishing.

Definitely not buying a Benchmade after that entire cutting up guns fiasco, so I will take a look at Kershaw and Sypderco.

No way I am spending more than $100 on this knife. Never spent more than $100 on a knife. I'd rather put the extra $300 toward another gun than spend $400 on a knife.
    I spent over $100 for this one.
    JZ Bowie.jpg

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Doubt it would ever be an EDC knife for me. I have enough folders for that, that I can just keep in a pocket versus having to open carry a fixed blade knife.

Based upon the statute that was posted by "veto" Corleone, it appears that the "dirk" is just considered a "weapon" and it is against the law to carry a deadly weapon concealed. Nothing new there. Pretty much the same thing with any fixed blade knife, per the court decision in Bacon v. State.

So, this double edged weapon/dirk/dagger will most likely stay downstairs in the basement on a shelf with my other fixed blade knives. Probably looking to spend $75 or less on this endeavor.

This is just something I have always wanted. No specific need is in my head right now, other than to cross it off my bucket list, like a .338LM bolt gun.

I was going to post a pic of some of the knives I have, but could not find one of the monster that a friend from Italy gave me. Maybe tonight I'll get them altogether for a "party".

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not a big fan of daggers (double edged knives). AFAIC, they have very limited fighting use. You are as liable to cut yourself as you are anyone else. My 2¥

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom