• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctortoxic

The Dose Makes The Poison
    Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    12034641-027C-4203-913C-C75A0434A94E.jpeg
    Just got some info back from the Colt Archives on my CMP 1911. Looks like it was shipped to the US Govt on 11/12/1943. Pretty Cool!

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I got my Field Grade Ithaca today. My number was 30367. They called 4/11 and it shipped yesterday, 4/18.
    UDNv0Ts.jpg
    Wow...looks like your pistol is in very good condition. Congrats!

I got the call yesterday, verifying my interest. I requested a Service Grade.

JoeR

Sent from my SM-T547U using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Got a call today from CMP; all three grades were available; I chose Field. 13 month wait, now I get to wait for shipping. Once it's in the shipping queue, it gets shipped overnight. (They don't ship on Fridays.)

For anyone still in the queue, my number was 30325, application sent in early March of 2021.

Last edited:

firemanyz

MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I got my Field Grade Ithaca today. My number was 30367. They called 4/11 and it shipped yesterday, 4/18.
    UDNv0Ts.jpg
    Looks great. Is the frame also an Ithaca? I received an Ithaca frame and slide in round 2. Your looks as good if not better than the service grade I received.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Looks great. Is the frame also an Ithaca? I received an Ithaca frame and slide in round 2. Your looks as good if not better than the service grade I received.
    Yes, Ithaca frame and slide with the original finish. The barrel is Flannery with the original bluing. Everything except the checkered hammer appears correct for a late Ithaca.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    CMP delivered my 1911A1 today - a two-day turnaround time from phone call to FFL01.

Its RR slide and frame, s/n points to 1945. Not parkerised, nice looking pistol. Pics in a week or so.

Jul 1, 2012
    If it's not parkerized, what kind of finish does it have? RR had phased out the Du-Lite finish by '45 (I think it was early '43 when they transitioned to the park'd finish). Cool that you got the RR slide & frame.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Here’s mine. Just picked it up Tuesday.

RGN was 29743.

1943 Ithaca frame and slide. Looks like it was rebuilt twice. Last rebuild appears to have been done in July 1973.

I’m happy with it. Not the original finish, but I’m glad I got a wartime gun original parts.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Got mine yesterday. Pics of some markings: I assume FJA is an inspector's mark, dunno about the 7 and P. The last mark seems incompletely stamped; no idea what it's about.

Edit: FJA=Frank J Atwood; P=Proof; obscure half-stamped=Ordinance Dept Inspection. Dunno about the 7. Didn't see any arsenal rebuilt marks.

colt 5.jpg
    colt 4.jpg
    colt 2.jpg
    colt 1.jpg

Last edited:
    Jul 1, 2012
    FJA = Frank J. Atwood, the acceptance inspector
    P is an acceptance proof, depending on maker you'll see it on top of the slide, barrel, etc. too.
    The partial stamp is the "crossed cannons" ordnance wheel, also an acceptance proof.

DSC_0276.JPG

DSC_0269.JPG

Last edited:
    Jul 1, 2012
    oh yeah, the "7" on the trigger guard is an assembler's assigned code / mark IIRC, there may be another on the right side.
    It might be original finish that's just worn... maybe even a mostly/all original gun, no arsenal rework markings.
    What are the barrel markings?
    my 1944 RR barrel (Flannery):

barrel - Copy.jpg

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    oh yeah, the "7" on the trigger guard is an assembler's assigned code / mark IIRC, there may be another on the right side.
    It might be original finish that's just worn... maybe even a mostly/all original gun, no arsenal rework markings.
    What are the barrel markings?
    my 1944 RR barrel (Flannery):

View attachment 365009
    Here's mine - pretty sure the barrel is not original. Very nice lands/grooves. Also noticed an H and a 4 on the rt side of trigger guard. Can't seem to get a decent photo. The "H" has serifs, if it makes a difference.
    B1.jpg
    B2.jpg
    B3.jpg

Last edited:
    Jul 1, 2012
    It's post-war contract replacement barrel (1960's?). Digging around for this part number (7791193), it appears it should be a chrome-lined barrel, which is probably why it looks so nice. The "M" is for "Magnafluxed", "P" is the acceptance proof, "C" in a box is for Colt's as the manufacturer. If the gun is pretty much original other than the barrel, you might start to keep an eye out on evilPay etc. for a correct one just for S&G's and keep the current one in it for the range. I think this is a really good "get" for a CMP 1911 :)

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It's post-war contract replacement barrel (1960's?). Digging around for this part number (7791193), it appears it should be a chrome-lined barrel, which is probably why it looks so nice. The "M" is for "Magnafluxed", "P" is the acceptance proof, "C" in a box is for Colt's as the manufacturer. If the gun is pretty much original other than the barrel, you might start to keep an eye out on evilPay etc. for a correct one just for S&G's and keep the current one in it for the range. I think this is a really good "get" for a CMP 1911 :)
    I think the safety and slide stop are out of the parts bin, but who cares? That's just part of the gun's story.

Are there identifying marks on a fleaBay barrel that would tag it as RR from WWII? Insofar as the present barrel is probably also out of the armorer's bin, it's not a huge deal for me. I suspect most military 1911s have similar issues.

Jul 1, 2012
    Remington-Rand didn't make their own barrels. For the most part, High Standard supplied barrels to RR... they'll have an HS on one side of the lug an P on the other. The HS is probably the easiest barrel to find. A Flannery barrel would probably be ok too.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Remington-Rand didn't make their own barrels. For the most part, High Standard supplied barrels to RR... they'll have an HS on one side of the lug an P on the other. The HS is probably the easiest barrel to find. A Flannery barrel would probably be ok too.
    Took your advice; got an HS P off fleabay. Now I need a link & pin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom