• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    Never noticed before but these have a lanyard ring! Only featured on the 2nd series MT. Strikes me as an odd feature for a target pistol.

Maybe just happenstance to take advantage of the "real estate" left unused when they moved the heel-release mag catch?
    I agree it seems pretty useless.

I had a Woodsman "plain old" Target Series II with the same slot so it's probably across all the Series II models (except Challenger which retained the heel-release for some reason).

Another cool thing unique to Series II is the use of grip adapters. That little screw on the back of the mainspring housing is used to add a spacer / adapter if desired to change the shape.
    http://www.bobrayburn.com/colt22/orderparts.html
    (don't bother ordering one, it's out of date... there's some on evilPay though. :) )

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Guess what I picked up from Numrich! Yup, a large grip adapter in the identical colored Coltwood. Easy to find in large, will have to keep up the search to find one in small. Read that each Series 2 pistol came with one of each from the factory.
    You're probably right about the lanyard ring. We got this empty space and need to do something with it!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Bakelite needs to make a comeback.

No. No, it doesn't. Bakelite was a miracle material when it first came out because it not only could be moulded, and was cheap, it could be made in several different nifty bright colors (as well as brown). But that's where the attraction ends.

Bakelite is sensitive to heat and light exposure. Over time, it will:
    • warp
    • fade
    • crack
    • chrystalize
    • change color

Yep, there are some beautiful examples of things made from bakelite that look perfect and are very old, but they are rarities.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Can I play, too?

Here's my Woodsman, inherited from my father 30 years ago. It still shoots better than I do.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
      photo.jpg
      32.9 KB · Views: 269

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Beautiful Colt Match Target. My father had a Colt Challenger some time ago and got rid of it. It had a problem firing, most likely a defective firing pin. I'd like to pick up a Woodsman or Match Target, but they are pricey. The good thing is Colts certainly retain value.

Last edited:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The ones I'm seeing on gunbroker are well +$1,000 so you stole dat

Indeed. That's what got me off the sideline and into the bidding. Couldn't believe it was gonna hammer that cheap! Had I sat there and done nothing I'd still be whacking myself over the head with a 2x4 and for good reason.

Jul 1, 2012
    Random sampling, most of those are import marked and with an issue or two.
    They are also 3rd Series (Blue Book Series II is about 10-20% higher over Series III).
    Still a nice sampling there for a good shooter.

Price goes up exponentially with high condition for Woodsman (and most collectibles) so a minty pistol will bring a lot more than a 90-95% example.
    Current Blue Book (2017) for a Series II MT 6" is $1600 for 100%, $1400 for 98%, $900 for 95%, $700 for 90%

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Over the last year or two I've seen some US manuf. pistols imported from Germany. Stuff like Hi Standards and Colts. Have also see a fair number of British marked imports (Duffy has been selling a bunch of this). My best guess is that these came from shooting clubs in Europe. Some are in decent condition but most that I've seen do have issues of one type or another as somd_mustangs mentioned.

Jul 1, 2012
    BTW I did find a small grip extension in the parts bin but the bottom is broken off.
    Probably why it's in the parts bin :)

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    BTW I did find a small grip extension in the parts bin but the bottom is broken off.
    Probably why it's in the parts bin :)

Funny that you mentioned this. I bought a beautiful, nearly unissued early 50's vintage Woodsman for my brother one Christmas. It too has the Coltwood grips and extension. When I went home for the holidays I pulled his Woodsman out to pack as we were heading to a local range for some fun. Noticed that the bottom of the extension was broken and a big chunk missing. Ended up purchasing a replacement from Numrich but could only get him a large. Those small extensions are the devil to find.

Jul 1, 2012
    A Woodsman is a very precisely machined tool with close tolerances, not sure that one is gonna come back to life w/o replacing all the guts and remachining stuff...
    certainly more than "tossing some new springs in it" :)
    wonder what the bore looks like...

but the guy sounds like he's having fun messing with it despite all the bad advice !

it's also a Series II, with a correct Series II mag.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Saw this and thought of this thread :D

Attachments

• A4D241D3-D633-4546-A75F-57A1E4D247D2.jpg
      A4D241D3-D633-4546-A75F-57A1E4D247D2.jpg
      58.9 KB · Views: 148

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics