Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM #2271

I have a question about mounting a VHF/UHF diamond antenna on my roof. I was talking to friend and he said I should check with my HOA first. I didnít think it would be an issue but i did find a paragraph in the covenants which prohibit any TV, Radio or satellite antennas of any type.

However at least 1/4 of my neighbors have Direct TV dishes on their homes and thatís never been enforced. I also read about some FCC rules which prohibit HOAís from restricting antennas for OTA TV broadcast.

So my question is this.....

If I put up a diamond dual band antenna could it be used for OTA HD TV signals? If they give me any grief, I can just tell them itís a TV antenna and they can pound sand.
Honorable people with a good work ethic and strong character have shaped our communities and nation more so than presidents and congressmen. The crisis of character we see in our political leaders is a symptom of our nation's sickness not the cause for the disease.
ToolAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM #2272
What fresh hell is this?

What fresh hell is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolAA View Post
I have a question about mounting a VHF/UHF diamond antenna on my roof. I was talking to friend and he said I should check with my HOA first. I didnít think it would be an issue but i did find a paragraph in the covenants which prohibit any TV, Radio or satellite antennas of any type.

However at least 1/4 of my neighbors have Direct TV dishes on their homes and thatís never been enforced. I also read about some FCC rules which prohibit HOAís from restricting antennas for OTA TV broadcast.

So my question is this.....

If I put up a diamond dual band antenna could it be used for OTA HD TV signals? If they give me any grief, I can just tell them itís a TV antenna and they can pound sand.
I think I'd approach them about making an exception and pointing out the obvious non-enforcement, first. They may be aware that the ARRL and others have been pushing for a Federal law to force HOAs to make exceptions for Amateur radio.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

ďIf there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.Ē - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM #2273
What fresh hell is this?

What fresh hell is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolAA View Post
Iím working on this problem too, and not sure which direction to go. Access to the firewall is extremely limited inside of the engine compartment.

Several forums talk about using a fuse block tap. My car has a bunch of unused fuse spaces for high amperage features like rear heated seats, which are not included with my model. It seems like I could just tap one of these sockets. From what I can tell the max current my radio will draw is about 15A when transmitting at 50 watts.
Have you done a search in forums for your brand of car and in Youtube for other people who've installed radios not just Amateur but CB and even high powered car stereos? I couldn't readily find a pass through in my firewall myself but finally found someone else who did it, even though it was on the opposite side of the firewall from the battery. And it was a totally unused grommet.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

ďIf there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.Ē - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:24 AM #2274

There was an FCC ruling that deals with ordinances against antennas.

OK, PRB-1

http://www.arrl.org/restrictive-antenna-ordinances

http://www.arrl.org/prb-1

PRB-1 has been codified in to Section 97.15 of the FCC regulations.

But it does not preempt covenants.

But I seem to recall something in the 90s about covenants and antennas, that was based on allowing TV dishes to prevent monopoly by cable companies. And many covenants had language that lumped all antennas as one, so the ruling allowed any antennas.

Here it is: https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

It does not cover amateur radio antennas, but if your covenants had a single statement preventing all antennas, then it is voided by this.

You can also install your antenna in your attic. I know many people that did this with 2m and 440 antennas back before these rulings.
Pinecone is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland