• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Yeah... Thermal shift problem. I never heard anything about glass delamination. I actually had a problem with one of my EoTechs and they took good care of me. I got a like new sight back in the mail. I have several Eotechs and they are great sights.

You know I see posts like this and I have to wonder what in the Hell people are talking about when they write crap like this. EoTechs are garbage? I run a MG club. I see tons of high end guns. These guns have blown up plenty of garbage sights. I mean I have literally seen more than a half dozen just stop working under Full Auto firing. I have seen many more fail to hold zero. There are plenty of crappy sights out there and one of the few brands I would ever toss into the "garbage" grouping and EoTech is one of them. They are an approved US Military supplier. Ok they have one issue none of the people in MD will EVER have which they did not tell the Government. However they give fair better than average performance. IMHO their 65 MOA circle dot is far superior reticle to most others out there for any kind of Full Auto fire. They survive much more abuse and drops compared to most other optics out there.

While I might like Holosun too, most other optics lack the sight hood and if you really get a hard hit on them... don't expect them to survive. If you are looking for a non-magnified sight that does not have to go on top of a pistol, its hard to think of optics that out perform the EoTech. We can argue battery life, rare issues...etc. but seriously, if you were about to walk into a short term close quarters battle... what optics would you rather have? Holosun is great but is it going to hold without a sight hood. ACOGs are great but often have to much magnification. There are many others but I am probably picking an EoTech.

Now if you have a Neutered M16 (AR15) and all you need it for is punching paper shooting off a bench at 100 yards... then yeah there are better options.

Most people don't have the buying power of the federal government where they can just go get another one off the shelf, nor do they get a warranty as good as the government as well. OP had a device that is failing him and he's not happy. That doesn't mean it's not a good product or that the OP is stupid.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Most people don't have the buying power of the federal government where they can just go get another one off the shelf, nor do they get a warranty as good as the government as well. OP had a device that is failing him and he's not happy. That doesn't mean it's not a good product or that the OP is stupid.

don't get me wrong, I love the Eotech reticle. I still trust it to work.

I just feel like a manufacturer should replace something known as defective. It would be different if I broke the glass or something.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Some people would have an optic basspro carries fail on them. They'd then go buy a new one, toss the broken one in the box, and then return the broken one. I guess they figured they'd save the hassle of mailing it off and waiting for a repair they may need to pay for.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    We agree then. ;)

Haha, you got me there, updated to hopefully make a bit more sense. Luckily I don't have to rely on my writing ability to put food on the table! :)

Yeah. Eotech doesnt have a lifetime warranty. After 5 years they charge for repair. Normally I wouldn't mind paying if it was my fault, but since it's a known defect now, it makes me angry.

Yeah I do have to say it would bug me too. Its a good quality sight and I might fight them about charging me for it. I just did the same with Colt. I told him I bought a Colt so I knew I would not have this issue. If I bought a cheap knock off I would not complain. They agreed to fix it for free... not the $200 charge they were trying to soak me for!

Yeah I am one of those people too. The only thing I replied about the OPs comments was that he was incorrect about the defective product buy back. That it was not for delaminating glass, but the thermal shift.

No my comments were in regards to calling EoTechs garbage in post 7 that was by atblis, not the OP. Note in my comment that I said its posts like this (not threads like this). Those comments were not directed at the OP. Actually other than the incorrect statement, I am sympathetic to his cause that even if its a bit out of warranty, that EoTech could probably make him right for minimal, if any cost. That said, they do have a clear policy... and I did not call anyone stupid...?

d_c

Jul 7, 2009
    Texas
    don't get me wrong, I love the Eotech reticle. I still trust it to work.

I just feel like a manufacturer should replace something known as defective. It would be different if I broke the glass or something.

I'm kind of confused. The warranty covers defects for a particular period of time. Outside the warranty period defects are not covered. That's kind of the whole point of the warranty. Seems like they make that pretty clear up front.

Damage wouldn't be covered regardless of whether it's in warranty.

It reads like the warranty guaranteed it would be free of defects for <x> years and it was. I'm not seeing where they dropped the ball in this case?

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    So Eotech has one of the shortest warranties in the biz, and you're likely to need it. That's what I get out of it.

stank

Lifes Good
    Oct 20, 2008
    Pasadena
    I have 552 that is Delaminating as well, this is a 2004 manufacturing date but I think this shouldn’t happen to a optic of this level.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I have an OLD EOtech 552 that has seen combat and now peacefully resides on my AR. I have never once had any trouble with the sight or the thermal drift. I had a problem that was entirely my fault when the AA batteries leaked because I left them in too long. I contacted EOtech customer service and they sent me a new battery cover and contacts free of charge. I learned my lesson and only use lithium AAs in it now. I have fired many thousands of rounds through MGs with EOtechs and never encountered an issue with the sights. I do agree that they should be willing to fix the problem for you but the settlement wasn't about delamination of the glass.

Another thing you can do is coat the batteries in dielectric grease and put a thin layer on the contacts you should be good if you have to use alkaline. Do it on all my Maglite flash lights

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom