• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    YES, they plate everything but the springs. Even the bore gets chromed. Back in the 80s I had a S&W 29 hard chromed. That was when 629s were rare. People at ranges thought it was stainless and offered to buy it. It's a great finish. I'm thinking of having one of my stainless Ruger Security-Sixes nickel plated. Not for protection, but for looks.

Thank you for the update. I found a slightly rough blued Blackhawk and I think the hard chrome will be an excellent choice. I'll get the action work done first.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I do like what i think is a softer, bead blasted, stainless look. Have it on a 20+ yr Old 625 and a fairly recent 642.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    If the rings are bloody, you're doing it wrong.:o

I don't mind seeing the rings any more than I mind seeing the finish worn off of the hammer face of a 1911. I figure that's just what guns look like in real life :shrug:

As to the color...my wife is like a crow. She likes shiny things. I do not. A lot of my revolvers are stainless either for the corrosion resistant functionality, or simply because it was the only color offered. I would much rather they were blued...or even modern "blacked," or parkerized...or almost any dark color that isn't rust;)

What was the line from "The Fugitive," about, "lose that nickel plated...":innocent0

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Thank you for the update. I found a slightly rough blued Blackhawk and I think the hard chrome will be an excellent choice. I'll get the action work done first.
    YES! They recommend you get all the action work done before.

If you get your piece hard chromed, please post a photo. I'd like to see it. I'm thinking of hard chroming the top part of my Ruger Mark3 .22LR stubbie bull barrel. ✋

It's a great little pistol!

--

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    YES! They recommend you get all the action work done before.

If you get your piece hard chromed, please post a photo. I'd like to see it. I'm thinking of hard chroming the top part of my Ruger Mark3 .22LR stubbie bull barrel. ✋

It's a great little pistol!

--

I was going to try to come up with some sort of Cylon joke, with the shiny on top and black bottom...
    hmmm.jpg
    ...Then I looked at your avatar :eek:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have sold a few collectibles, fired and unfired, because of the wear policy. Can’t stand being hesitant about shooting my guns be ause of that. I am a shooter and don’t need to pamper guns. I see honest wear as a story and a ponderence of the guns history. And memories from wear I have incurred upon them. I am sure a couple of my guns would put the condition enthusiasts into convulsions...I am living large with my guns. But I don’t abuse them.

I belong in the heathen camp.

I love my blued guns more than my SS guns. But you know what, if it isn't a collector's piece and the bluing has worn more than I want...Just rub a little cold blue on it...

So long as it isn't an "off blue", like some of the Ruskie/com block purplish bluing, it usually matches really, really close. Mostly though I just take it as a sign of character. Doesn't bother me in the least. I can't collect guns. I own tools. Don't have the money or the space in my safe, or a wife who tolerates guns enough to just buy a collectible. I buy things I am going to shoot. Don't get me wrong, I wish I could buy collectible guns. But that isn't in my cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom