• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    My Daughter recently inherited a Mossberg Model 500 from her Grandfather. It seems a little long for her and I want to shorten the stock a bit so it's more comfortable for her to shoot. I offered to buy her a youth model mossberg but I've only seen them in 20 ga and she wants 12 ga plus she wants to shoot her Pop's gun.

I've read where you measure from the inside of arm at the elbow to the last joint of the trigger finger to determine LOP. Is that the best way to do it? Is there something else to take into consideration? I'd rather measure twice and cut once in this situation.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    My Daughter recently inherited a Mossberg Model 500 from her Grandfather. It seems a little long for her and I want to shorten the stock a bit so it's more comfortable for her to shoot. I offered to buy her a youth model mossberg but I've only seen them in 20 ga and she wants 12 ga plus she wants to shoot her Pop's gun.

I've read where you measure from the inside of arm at the elbow to the last joint of the trigger finger to determine LOP. Is that the best way to do it? Is there something else to take into consideration? I'd rather measure twice and cut once in this situation.

Can you call Mossberg and see if they have stocks with shorter lop’s and buy one ? They you could always put the gun back to stock if need be?

Just a thought

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017

https://www.brownells.com/items/youth-shotgun-stocks.aspx

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Rough guide to length of pull for the average gunner,

1. 5'4'' 13 1/2 5'6" 13 7/8 5' 8" 14
    Length of pull is measured from the trigger (the forward trigger on a two trigger gun) through the center line of the butt and not the length of the stock itself.
    Other things to consider are height of the comb, so the shooter can place their cheek to the same place every time. If the comb has to much drop it will place the eye below the rib line of the gun and make it shoot low. If the comb is the right it will allow the shooter to see 6-10 inches of rib before the bead it should shoot dead on, if all of the rib can be seen plus the front bead it will shoot high to about forty yards.
    I was also taught that LOP would be from the crook of the arm to about the first joint of the index finger.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    With the gun properly mounted the tip of the shooter's nose should be about 1.5" from their thumb (gripping the stock).

I just tried the elbow to finger method and it was pretty close for me.

I've also heard your nose should be 5.5" from the trigger with the gun mounted.

All of these seem to get you close and I don't think one's more accurate than another, since everyone's uniquely proportioned.

I'd say the first step would be for her to mount the gun see how much needs to come off the get near my 1.5" mark. Then tape on the pad and shoot it a little to figure out whether you need to take off more wood or add in a shim. If you don't want to deal with a shim I guess it makes sense to leave it a tad long and keep removing wood after each try session.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Just a few thoughts:

Is your daughter done growing? If not and you cut the stock, she may need a new longer stock later.

If you cut the stock you will need to fit a new pad for it to look/perform correctly.

Mount and stance effect how long a stock should be. If she doesn't have a repeatable mount, fitting a stock will be problematic.

LOP as stated is only one equation. Is her eye aligned along the rib or off the one side?

Then there are pad adjusters that can adjust the toe out so it doesn't poke her chest. Pitch is a factor here also.

If she just wants to go shoot the gun every now and then and you really just want to shorten it for 'good enough' you could take the recoil pad off and see how that feels and go from there. I don't think I'd have her shoot it even once without a pad, just practice mounting with it.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Thanks for the input everyone. She's 22 so she's as big as she's likely to get! I think I'll take the recoil pad off and see how it looks before I do any cutting, and then maybe take it a little at a time and see how it goes. I need to take her trap shooting with me and let her get some practice in when it's done. She wants to go pheasant hunting with my future daughter in law next year on the ladies day hunt.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    IMO, don't cut down the original stock of the gun - find a replacement stock and cut that down so that you can put the gun back to right later down the road.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    LOP will also vary depending on what clothes she is wearing i.e. a heavy coat is different from a tee shirt which is why the high end stock fitters ask you to dress as you would be when shooting when they have you try the adjustable Try-Gun.
    http://doncurrie.com/gun-fitting/

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also, for a woman there should be more pitch to the butt. The bottom of the butt should be more forward, otherwise it will dig into her.

If you haven't noticed, women are built differently than men. :)

Also, LOP will change a bit whether the shotgun is used low gun and mounted, versus shooting a shouldered gun.

Too bad Bart's is not still open. Bart knew shotgun fitting.

I agree with not cutting the original stock.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Too bad Bart's is not still open. Bart knew shotgun fitting.

I agree with not cutting the original stock.

Unless something has changed recently, he still does fittings. The folks at Loch Raven gave me his card a couple of months ago when I asked for a recommendation to do a pad install. I haven't gotten around to calling...

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    In that case, EASY, call Bart, set up a fitting.

Guys, we are talking about a Mossberg 500 here. This isn't a gun that is going to be used for thousands of rounds and competitions. I have to wonder how much it would cost for a fitting by Bart. Might cost as much as the gun itself.

Crazy thing is, I can shoot guns with different LOP decently well. I prefer that all my clay guns be at 14.25", but I can still shoot the Benelli SBE at 13.5" without too much trouble. As long as the OP gets the LOP short enough that his daughter can mount the gun cleanly, I think she should be alright with it.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Exactly. We're talking about a Mossberg 500 (no offense).

Is a shotgun "fitter" just going to order another stock and buttpad or are they going want hundreds of dollars for modifications on a $300 shotgun?

For a Mossberg 500 I really don't forsee anyone doing something I wouldnt attempt myself under the shade tree even if involved a bandsaw and super glue. LOL

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    Hubby cut down my stock for one of my guns. Ultimately put on a Blackhawk recoil absorbing, adjustable LOP stock. Could pick up a used stock to cut to preserve the original. Of course then I went and bought a fancy autoloader that fits me well and haven't shot a pump since

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    How much does Bart charge?

And he might be even less for a project like this of a generational shotgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom