• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DGI

Jan 19, 2010
    Reisterstown MD
    Put together my ADCOR lower using an Ace skeleton stock (non adjustable) and am intending to build an upper to use as a competition rifle (3gun, etc).

Would like it to be lightweight with a full length handguard. I was planning on running a JP Rifles comp just wondering what options I have for a barrel so its MD Compliant.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Must be an Hbar if the lower was purchased after the ban. You can get away with a barrel shorter than 16" by pinning and welding your muzzle brake to make up the difference, but I'm not sure there will be much weight advantage. Also, consider a carbon fiber fore end to help cut some weight.

For those who might ask, "what constitutes an Hbar?", it is any barrel that is marked as Hbar, Heavy Barrel, etc, or one that is advertised by the manufacturer as such.

DGI

Jan 19, 2010
    Reisterstown MD
    Would a medium weight barrel (like JP's offering) be considered "heavy"?

I remember seeing something about a minimum diameter at the gas block that had to be met but I cannot find that info any more.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Would a medium weight barrel (like JP's offering) be considered "heavy"?

I remember seeing something about a minimum diameter at the gas block that had to be met but I cannot find that info any more.

Afraid not. Has to say Heavy in some fashion.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Must be an Hbar if the lower was purchased after the ban. You can get away with a barrel shorter than 16" by pinning and welding your muzzle brake to make up the difference, but I'm not sure there will be much weight advantage. Also, consider a carbon fiber fore end to help cut some weight.

For those who might ask, "what constitutes an Hbar?", it is any barrel that is marked as Hbar, Heavy Barrel, etc, or one that is advertised by the manufacturer as such.

This ^ ^ ^

If the barrel isn't clearly stamped HBAR I would recommend you retain a copy of the invoice and/or a screenshot of the webpage of the vendor that shows it advertised as HBAR.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I just stumbled across this and man am I drooling...

Ballistic Advantage Premium Series 416R SS 223 Wylde 16" SPR Mid
    https://www.rainierarms.com/ballistic-advantage-premium-series-416r-ss-223-wylde-16-spr-mid/

I sent an email to my firearms trust lawyer and will get back to everyone with the results as soon as she responds. Shes pretty knowledgeable so i'm confident she'll get me a straight answer
    Says "Mid" which to me means "not heavy" :shrug:

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

DGI

Jan 19, 2010
    Reisterstown MD
    Completely missed the "MID" on the first barrel... Faxon looks like its the way to go but I'm waiting to hear back from lawyer before placing the order

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I took that as the gas system length, not the barrel weight. :shrug:
    You are probably right. Thanks for the correction. Did it say Hbar anywhere in there? I couldn't find anything but I'm sitting in the woods reading my phone without my glasses.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I just stumbled across this and man am I drooling...

Ballistic Advantage Premium Series 416R SS 223 Wylde 16" SPR Mid
    https://www.rainierarms.com/ballistic-advantage-premium-series-416r-ss-223-wylde-16-spr-mid/

I sent an email to my firearms trust lawyer and will get back to everyone with the results as soon as she responds. Shes pretty knowledgeable so i'm confident she'll get me a straight answer

This says "SPR" profile, not HBAR.

Cannot recall offhand what SPR profile means, but its a no-go.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    You are probably right. Thanks for the correction. Did it say Hbar anywhere in there? I couldn't find anything but I'm sitting in the woods reading my phone without my glasses.

Nah. Just looking at the barrel profile I'd guess it's a no go. Just didn't think mid had anything to do with that aspect though.

DrNRA

Feb 2, 2017
    Bethesda
    From the few gun shops I’ve visited since moving here, “heavy barrel” seems to be anything that doesn’t have an M203 grenade launcher cutout. I’m basing this off of the walls and walls of Ruger 556 and other standard ARs that are up and on display. I have read the law, and my understanding is that it should be marked HBAR. But in practice it seems to be pretty loosely defined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom