• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    DE is CCW friendly but anti-NFA. No SBR's or suppressors AT ALL.

There are a few places to shoot in DE, but remember, there are only 3 counties ... its small.

tom b

Oct 2, 2011
    SBR's are okay...... I transport SBR's from home in MD to home in DE with 5320's. No MG's or suppressors.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Ccw is a process but, easy compared to Maryland. SBR's were a little more difficult with the local police part but, may be easier now. No SBS or suppressors as stated.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Ccw is a process but, easy compared to Maryland. SBR's were a little more difficult with the local police part but, may be easier now. No SBS or suppressors as stated.

CCW has short class, application, some goofy sign off from citizens and they list your intent to obtain in local paper with your name and address to see if there are any legitimate protests. Not crazy about that part.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    In DE, CCW applicants must have their app with name published in the local paper.

No idea where that came from.

from handgunlaw:

Attachments

• de.jpg
      de.jpg
      56.5 KB · Views: 430

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Delaware is slowly getting infected by the NY/NJ transplant bug, especially regarding retirees. As we all know it is the sworn duty of every liberal New Yorker to educate the dumb hicks to their south and make sure they change and start living their way within five minutes of the New Yorkers' arrival. And in the north places like Wilmington are starting to resemble Camden more every day. But Delaware is still a lot better than MD, for now anyway.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Northern Alabama. Lower taxes, lower costs, CCW is just a NICS check, no NICS when purchasing if you have a CCW. The only guns banned are rifles and/or shotgun disguised as a walking cane.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Compared to MD , De is great.

Compared to the other States that surround Md ( , and free 'Murica generally ) , De is kinda medium . In addition to the above mentioned Newspaper ads, the need for references that : Know you for min 5yr AND live in De can be a stumbling block for people moving in.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Compared to MD , De is great.

Compared to the other States that surround Md ( , and free 'Murica generally ) , De is kinda medium . In addition to the above mentioned Newspaper ads, the need for references that : Know you for min 5yr AND live in De can be a stumbling block for people moving in.

If I'm not mistaken, they have to actually live in your own county too. I'm vaguely thinking there could be some sort of an equal protection lawsuit there, but what do I know. And absolutely insane that you have to pay for a newspaper ad that advertises you own guns.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Yes, county. My friend lived in the edge of a county and it was a pain as most of the people he knew that well lived in the county north if him.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    If I'm not mistaken, they have to actually live in your own county too. I'm vaguely thinking there could be some sort of an equal protection lawsuit there, but what do I know. And absolutely insane that you have to pay for a newspaper ad that advertises you own guns.

Yeah, that's a deal breaker for me.
    Hey look, everybody! Burgle me!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yeah, that's a deal breaker for me.
    Hey look, everybody! Burgle me!

Yeah, its a possibility ... also possible that you'd come home ... carrying ... and catch them in the act. Delaware doesn't fully have MD's laws or prosecutors ... yet.

whatevah

Unregistered User
    Mar 17, 2012
    Wilmington, DE
    ALL firearms must be transferred, no cash and carry sales.
    Not true... for private sales, NCIC check is not required for close family or if the buyer has a CCDW.

The permit process isn't too bad, but will cost around $500 total and a 3-7 month wait for it to be processed. "May issue" officially, but denials are rare. The folks vouching for you must live in the same county (but do NOT need to have known for you 5 years, dunno where that came from), and you do need to post a notice in a newspaper that has majority coverage in your area. I've never heard of anyone being targeted by thieves because of the paper notice, but you will get a few offers from instructors to take their CCDW course. You can take the class after having the permit approved. For other questions about the CCDW process, see here: http://courts.delaware.gov/Forms/download.aspx?ID=33278

As others said, no suppressors or machine guns, but SBRs are ok (CLEO used to be the holdup, most would use a trust).

No public land to shoot on, gotta go to a range or a friends farm. Only two clubs in the Wilmington area, both indoor pistol... I joined a club in PA (SCCSFA). I volunteer at the Elk Neck Forest shooting range in North East, MD, that gets a lot of people coming from DE to shoot (no issues bringing "banned" guns as long as you take them back home when you're done). A very good club in the Seaford/Bridgeville area (http://bville-rifle-pistol.org/), IDPA practice every Wednesday morning and every other Saturday. Sadly, I live 2 hours from there.

Hunting kinda sucks, mostly due to the small public land tracts. Bow, shotgun or muzzleloader... no rifle reason. There's talk about allowing pistol caliber carbines, though.

No loaded rifles "in" or "on" vehicles due to a poorly written hunting law. So, can't have a rifle as your "truck gun" unless you leave it unloaded (or use an AR pistol).

Open carry (without permit) is allowed, and you can open carry in a vehicle. PA allows open carry without permit, but not in a vehicle. There are a few folks that open carry religiously, most of them hang out at www.deloc.org Even with the Democrat mindset around Wilmington and Newark, they rarely have issues.

Several gun stores up north, and two stores with indoor ranges just over the border in PA. Cabelas is awesome for browsing, X-Ring is great, Millers is boycotted by a lot of folks due to supporting the private sales NCIC law, and there are some other smaller stores. I usually buy from Cabelas or a home-FFL guy in the Middletown area (Chris with Federal Firearm, awesome customer service). I know there are a few stores downstate, just dunno anything about them. Supposed to be two good ones in Sussex County.

Taxes aren't bad compared to PA and MD, especially property taxes. I think school taxes are too high, though... too much bureaucracy creating too much overhead.

Politically, New Castle County is Democrat and controls the statewide elections. Kent and Sussex counties are mostly Republican.

Crimewise, Dover can be pretty rough near the state capitol, Georgetown has a bit of violence from central/south american gangs (migrant workers) and anything north/east/south of Wilmington isn't so good... basically steer clear of Rt 13 or Rt 40.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom