• "From my cold dead hands" :mad54:

Attachments

• 1-2.jpg
      1-2.jpg
      87.8 KB · Views: 634

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Screw that. I have a high-capacity floor-standing drill press with multiple chucks and a belt-drive trans-a-mission. Put a cross-slide table on it, too.

And I have waaaayy more than 10 drill bits.

Jesus! We need to ban private arsenals like yours!!!

Background checks for drill bits and no more than 1 a week purchases.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Whose jig setup are you using and do you use a drill press or router?

Thanks

I am using a 5D tactical jig. I have a mill, which I use for the pilot hole, but you can do that easily with a drill press or a handheld drill (which isn't as easy). I can get a nice result with my mill, but it takes me about 2 hours to do a lower. With the 5D tactical jig and a handheld router it takes about 45 minutes. The result is every bit as nice.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    I am using a 5D tactical jig. I have a mill, which I use for the pilot hole, but you can do that easily with a drill press or a handheld drill (which isn't as easy). I can get a nice result with my mill, but it takes me about 2 hours to do a lower. With the 5D tactical jig and a handheld router it takes about 45 minutes. The result is every bit as nice.

Thanks for the info. I came across their website a while back and that setup looked impressive. It is nice to hear feedback from someone who has used it. As I recall they even provide recommendations for which router to use.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks for the info. I came across their website a while back and that setup looked impressive. It is nice to hear feedback from someone who has used it. As I recall they even provide recommendations for which router to use.

I have the DeWalt that they recommended. It works great.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    I have the DeWalt that they recommended. It works great.

Glad to hear, I just picked up the Dewalt. With the number that'll you have done have you formed preferences for 80% lowers from particular vendors or 7075 forged vs billet?

I would hope the lowers are pretty much the same from one vendor to another at the 80% mark.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Glad to hear, I just picked up the Dewalt. With the number that'll you have done have you formed preferences for 80% lowers from particular vendors or 7075 forged vs billet?

I would hope the lowers are pretty much the same from one vendor to another at the 80% mark.

I have only done forged. I like the ones from Cerroforge just in terms of the raw finish. I see no difference in milling them.

How many lowers can you get through with the end mill they sell?

3-4. I take less off with each swipe than they recommend. It may take a little longer, but I think it increases the life of the endmill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom