• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I followed that link and read the information regarding that barrel and do not see anywhere that the barrel is described by the manufacture as a "Heavy Barrel".

Is there anything supporting that "Heavy Fluted" meets the letter of the MD law "Heavy Barrel"?

:facepalm:

DGI

Jan 19, 2010
    Reisterstown MD
    Its here!!!

Attachments

• CE2B6980-9663-48A2-86F5-A88364029A3F.jpg
      CE2B6980-9663-48A2-86F5-A88364029A3F.jpg
      71.5 KB · Views: 254
    • 334B8A32-2DD6-473C-933E-B295075D7214.jpg
      334B8A32-2DD6-473C-933E-B295075D7214.jpg
      67 KB · Views: 259

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The Faxon 14.5" pencil barrel I got for my second 3-gun rifle was so good, I bought their tapered 9mm barrel for my Steel Challenge PCC. I didn't read the fine print about the muzzle threading, so I had to order another brake from Joe Bob's. You'll like that barrel.

myn0ck

Apr 3, 2015
    The Faxon 14.5" pencil barrel I got for my second 3-gun rifle was so good, I bought their tapered 9mm barrel for my Steel Challenge PCC. I didn't read the fine print about the muzzle threading, so I had to order another brake from Joe Bob's. You'll like that barrel.

I've read that Faxon makes the barrels for Kaw Valley Precision. One difference that's of import is that the KVP barrel's thread is 1/2x36", while the Faxon are 1/2x28".

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    In other news, heavy may or may not mean heavy, it depends on what the definition of heavy is. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

I've read that Faxon makes the barrels for Kaw Valley Precision. One difference that's of import is that the KVP barrel's thread is 1/2x36", while the Faxon are 1/2x28".

In what caliber?

:D

And the pencil barrel has a pinned brake on it, which is thin enough to get the ring around it. IIRC I built it last year.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I ordered the Heavy Fluted Faxon Barrel. Its a heavy barrel... based on my emails with my lawyer and call to MSP, its legal

lol - that is hilarious. Your attorney left a ton of wiggle room in there, stated that MSP's position is...., and ended with this being a gray area of the law. Granted, she is right as can be.

Thing is, just because MSP says something stamped HBAR/Heavy or advertised as such, is considered HBAR by MSP, does not mean that the Maryland Court of Appeals will agree with MSP.

Think I need to get my own personal e-mail from the MSP to go forward with my builds. Good Lord, this sucks. You would think MSP would at least issue an advisory regarding what is considered HBAR. Got to lock this down as much as possible short of a Maryland Court of Appeals opinion or a definition added in the statute by the General Assembly. Did I mention, this SUCKS!!!!

Debating whether to send the AG a letter. That might not go over very well though.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    The above is Sarcasm I hope ?

lol - I wish. The letter to the AG is sarcasm, but not an e-mail to MSP to get MSP's definition of HBAR/Heavy.

Imagine how stupid I would look if I am on trial for possessing a banned firearm, and in my defense I say to the jury/judge, "Well, I relied on this thread right here on MdShooters when I decided to put this firearm together ladies and gentlemen of the jury/your honor."

If you really dig into this law, they could probably charge a lot of people with breaking the law. The better question to MSP might be, "What is considered a copy of a Colt Sporter HBAR"? See, this is where I would want to rely on the AG's opinion of what constitutes a copy versus the MSP completely interchangeable parts opinion.

This is all gray, and I am guessing the OP's trust attorney was Britney, and she too is saying it is gray. Well, gray isn't usually a good thing when it comes to possible prison time. Gray is somewhat alright when it comes to income tax returns and pushing a position, but not in criminal law.

I think this is one reason I keep putting off building the SBRs. Every time I start to delve into the law behind this, my head starts to hurt. Might have to sit on these Form 1s until I leave this state.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A pdf of the Dealer Advisory letter is floating around MDS .

Of course the whole HBAR business is nonsense , but the current Advisory is preferable to limiting to only Colt OEM bbls from 6600, 6601, 6700, 6701,6724, and 6750 rifles .

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    A pdf of the Dealer Advisory letter is floating around MDS .

Of course the whole HBAR business is nonsense , but the current Advisory is preferable to limiting to only Colt OEM bbls from 6600, 6601, 6700, 6701,6724, and 6750 rifles .

I thought I had a copy of this dealer advisory, but that does not appear to be the case. I cannot find it anywhere on my hard drive.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    I think this is one reason I keep putting off building the SBRs. Every time I start to delve into the law behind this, my head starts to hurt. Might have to sit on these Form 1s until I leave this state.
    Why don't you just build pistols instead of SBRs? SB Tactical makes a cool brace. Then when you move you could put stocks on them.
    Or could you build a upper that is proprietary (side charger or piston) and not worry about profile?
    The laws around HBARs and SBRs are so convoluted you may never get the answer you are looking for.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Why don't you just build pistols instead of SBRs? SB Tactical makes a cool brace. Then when you move you could put stocks on them.
    Or could you build a upper that is proprietary (side charger or piston) and not worry about profile?
    The laws around HBARs and SBRs are so convoluted you may never get the answer you are looking for.

Good advice. I've gone this rout with one of my SBP/pistols.

I don't thing a "sidecharger" exempts one from barrel profile requirements though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom