• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 12a10

Apr 6, 2009
    AA County Crownsville
    Heard several differing opinions on the reliability and accuracy of this conversion but finally bit the bullet (so to speak!) and bought one. Found a brand new unit with mag on Gunbroker and won for $135 plus $5 shipping.
    This is a late production parkerized steel unit that looked like it was pretty well made. Magazine looks much like a standard AR15 polymer and loaded easily.

Parkerizing was a litttle gritty out of the box so I hosed down with Mobil 1 and buffed with a towel and re-lubed. 30 seconds to remove bolt and carrier from my flattop M4 Armalite upper and install. Ditto for install into my Colt
    m16A1 upper although the feed ramp is a bit sticky on that one.

Ran about 250 rounds of cheap bulk Remington ammo through both uppers with zero jams or feed problems. Accuracy was acceptable in both with the M4 actually pulling tighter groups. Checked chamber and barrel after shooting and saw only a little powdery residue and some dirty Mobil 1 from my over-lubing.

IMHO this is a useful and practical accessory for practice shooting and plinking with an AR15. Does anyone have any long-term experience with
    this device?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    you chase those 200 .22's with a few 5.56 to blow any possible lead buildup out of the gas tube? i'm lookin at grabbing one of these conversion units when i can too. found it here for the same price straight from a dealer. for better accuracy and little noise check out the aguila sss .22's. they need a 1-9 twist to stabilize and supposedly are accurate as all getout from an ar conversion.

acfb38.jpg

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    you chase those 200 .22's with a few 5.56 to blow any possible lead buildup out of the gas tube? i'm lookin at grabbing one of these conversion units when i can too. found it here for the same price straight from a dealer. for better accuracy and little noise check out the aguila sss .22's. they need a 1-9 twist to stabilize and supposedly are accurate as all getout from an ar conversion.

View attachment 24568

:thumbsup: Shoot a few 223 after the 22s. It will state this in the manual.

Smokey, I'm not sure the subs will cycle the action, but then again, I've never tried. 12a10 was shooting standard bulk Remmys from it. The manual states only to use high velocity ammo, so who knows? Maybe it will work.:shrug:

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Rem goldens are not the preferred ammo....ask me how I know. I've got about a thousand rounds through both the park'd and stainless units. Once it's cleaned and lubed, push Winchester red box instead.
    The labeled velocity is the same, but the rate of burn (get up and go) is significantly faster for the red box vice golden bullets. The adapter is recoil operated so the faster round is significantly better from a reliability standpoint.
    When you are done, as posted above and in the manual, do the .223 to clear the crap from the gas tube.

Enjoy!

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    I shot some 40 grain sub sonic ammo out of a conversion yesterday, and it was hit or miss whether it would cycle. The first few didn't, but then it worked fine. Same deal with a Ruger MKIII.

I've dumped almost a whole box of federal bulk pack through the CMMG conversion I picked up on friday, and haven't had any major problems. I've had one or two failures to feed, and one failure to eject.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I'm going to buy this soon! The days where I can't go to the range because I don't have enough $$$ for ammo are numbered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom