• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22Shooter

Feb 5, 2013
    I saw one of these for sale the other day and my 007 fandom kicked in, but before I make the purchase I was curious if anyone has fired one of these.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The Walther TPH is a tiny pistol, made in 22 and .25 (rare); was made in both Germany and the US. The German ones are thought to be considerably more desireable. (They also have alloy frames. The US examples are stainless steel or blued steel (rather more uncommon)). They tend to be ammo-sensitive, and seem to prefer hotter rounds.

The PPK/S is basically a German-made pistol designed for the US market after GCA 1968 outlawed the PPK due to size issues. The PPK/S is built on the Walther PP frame, and is a bit larger than a PPK.

The German pistols were made in France after WWII, by Manurhin - even the ones marked "made in Germany." Manurhin also made their own series of pistols, under license from Walther. There is virtually no difference between them, both are high-quality firearms.

The US-made Walthers are not as nice. The new stuff is made of zinc or some such alloy; the Smith & Wesson Walthers were plagued with problems as well. Stick to the European ones, would be my recommendation.

People at waltherforums(dot)com are knowledgeable if you want more information.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    Stick to the Euro built pistols. Bad reviews on the new production they have now.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have one, but mine is Manurhin produced (France).

Nice pistol, hard to find magazines for.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    You've got three distinct guns being marketed under the "PPK" moniker.

Old German and French guns (Walther or Manurhin) are good to go. Fine pistols.

American-made centerfire PPKs and all TPHs have a reputation for being erratic, may need tuning.

The "new" .22LR "PPK" is a Umarex product. Jury's out, but I would not spend my money on one.

22Shooter

Feb 5, 2013
    You've got three distinct guns being marketed under the "PPK" moniker.

Old German and French guns (Walther or Manurhin) are good to go. Fine pistols.

American-made centerfire PPKs and all TPHs have a reputation for being erratic, may need tuning.

The "new" .22LR "PPK" is a Umarex product. Jury's out, but I would not spend my money on one.

I'm referring to the "new" ones. I've seen 50/50 reviews online. I was hoping to find someone on here that has one.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I have a Manurhin PP and Walther PPK in 22lr, very pleasant shooters.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I was hoping to find someone on here that has one.

Might be too much to hope for. I looked closely at two new ones recently. They look nice from five feet away. Up close, with the chromed pot metal, they look and feel super cheesy and are eerily like a vintage kid's cap gun. American Rifleman magazine just had a long article/review about them. The author came across as trying hard to appear reasonably objective, trying not to make it too obvious he was "laughing out loud" on the inside.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    The trigger pull on the new ones is crap. You have to cock to hammer to get a semi decent trigger other wise the DA pull is incredibly long and hard.

22Shooter

Feb 5, 2013
    Shooting down my hopes and seems of being a rimfire Bond, lol. I take it the German an S&W produced are much more expensive?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The original German ones have been a good bit more expensive for a long time.

No idea about the S&W produced ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom