• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    So, a few weeks ago I decided I wanted something a little more match-shooting-friendly than my collection was offering. One thing led to another, and I came home with a Shadow 2. It's quite a thing. Mrs. Occam took a strong liking to it, but groused about the weight being just a bit more than she'd like, personally.

Another thing led to another, and ... we've now got a CZ 75 Shadow Tac II in jail, coming out at the end of the week. She handled it, and felt that custom shop trigger (holy crap, by the way!), and said, "We're getting that."

What's next? What have I done? Is there some sort of CZ inoculation I can get before it's too late?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The HQL was my inoculation otherwise I would have a growing stack of quality CZ firearms.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Nope, there is no known cure. Sorry. You're gonna have to get thru this phase the way the rest of us did and gradually wean yourself off by shooting other things.

High Q

Jan 16, 2009
    I don't think that there is a better production gun manufacturer now then CZ. and I firmly believe that the Shadow 2 is the best gun for the money.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Thanks for not helping, everybody. The struggle is real.

7ZOOcZp.jpg

I totally get it. CZ's are incredibly well made, easy to shoot well, comfortable to shoot, extremely accurate...and represent one helluva value for the $$$ compared to other steel/alloy-framed pistols chambered in 9x19.

The only 'cure' for a two-year obsession was to shoot other stuff. I bought a couple of nice revolvers, picked-up a new shotgun, a 1911 and God forbid, a few polymer pistols that continue to amaze me by how great they work.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    OK! The custom shop SP01 is out of jail. Lovely pistol. It came, however, with a slipped-in manual addendum to go with the fact it’s had a trigger job. I’m attaching it so that anyone who speaks CZ might help me parse it.

I think it’s telling me not to engage the safety when the hammer is in the half-cocked position, since you don’t want risk damaging it by racking the slide under those conditions. Or, it’s some sort of subliminal message that makes me want to buy a Czechmate to see if the manual says the same thing. Ideas?

Attachments

• 1ABA0103-F41D-4B07-8209-71CD768122C1.jpg
      1ABA0103-F41D-4B07-8209-71CD768122C1.jpg
      120.9 KB · Views: 1,995

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    OK! The custom shop SP01 is out of jail. Lovely pistol. It came, however, with a slipped-in manual addendum to go with the fact it’s had a trigger job. I’m attaching it so that anyone who speaks CZ might help me parse it.

I think it’s telling me not to engage the safety when the hammer is in the half-cocked position, since you don’t want risk damaging it by racking the slide under those conditions. Or, it’s some sort of subliminal message that makes me want to buy a Czechmate to see if the manual says the same thing. Ideas?

Sounds to me like CZ Custom is just telling you to be mindful of when/how to use the thumb safety. De-cocked/hammer down - no, half-cock - no, full-cock, OK. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I could also ask Stuart from CZ Custom to confirm that, if that would put your mind at ease?

Oh, and...

:needpics:

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I’m wondering how to reconcile that with the typical match’s requirement that a gun without a decocker goes (hot) into the holster hammer down, safety on. Can only do that with the hammer fully or half cocked. Otherwise, it’s resting on the pin and can’t be safed. Hmmm. Oh, and I’ll pull together some pix!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I’m wondering how to reconcile that with the typical match’s requirement that a gun without a decocker goes (hot) into the holster hammer down, safety on. Can only do that with the hammer fully or half cocked. Otherwise, it’s resting on the pin and can’t be safed. Hmmm. Oh, and I’ll pull together some pix!

The thumb safety on my CZ's only work when the hammer is in the fully-cocked position. Does yours work with the hammer down or in the half cocked position?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD

What you wrote is impossible. You can't engage the safety with the hammer down.

Nearly all match holstering rules require your hammer down (or decocked via the lever), or cocked and safety on. Never both at the same time.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    What you wrote is impossible. You can't engage the safety with the hammer down.

Nearly all match holstering rules require your hammer down (or decocked via the lever), or cocked and safety on. Never both at the same time.

Both this SP01 variant and my Shadow 2 let you relax the hammer to the HALF cocked position, and then engage the safety (as it will at full cock). All the way down, no, safety will not of course. I’m reading lots of conflicting info about, say, USPSA’s take on this.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Both this SP01 variant and my Shadow 2 let you relax the hammer to the HALF cocked position, and then engage the safety (as it will at full cock). All the way down, no, safety will not of course. I’m reading lots of conflicting info about, say, USPSA’s take on this.

Rules 8.1.2.2 or 8.1.2.3. It depends on the division. Those guns are really used in production division for most folks, which specifies decocked in appendix d4, special condition 1.

Or you could use them in limited, which would allow for, but not require, the hammer cocked and safety on.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I handled the 97B. Gotta say, the Shadow Tac II’s trigged is amazing. More importantly, this is the one that felt right to Mrs. Occam. So, there you have it!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Rules 8.1.2.2 or 8.1.2.3. It depends on the division. Those guns are really used in production division for most folks, which specifies decocked in appendix d4, special condition 1.

Or you could use them in limited, which would allow for, but not require, the hammer cocked and safety on.

Shooting in limited, to avoid having to delicately let the hammer down on the firing pin with sweaty fingers while having Match Nerves, is appealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom