• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I'm changing bullet weights and powder for my 223 and now have 4lbs or so of imr 3031. has anyone used it w/ a 30-06 more specifically for an m1 garand

Last edited:

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I use it in my Garand.

Weight Primer Powder Weight
    150 Large Rifle IMR 3031 46

do you have an adjustable gas block? Its been a while but i wanna say i used 45.. ish grains of 4064. i need to throw the garand some more love apparently.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I use 3031 in my 308. It's kind of difficult to meter, but it seems to do ok. I've never really bench tested it. Just a plinking load. I read where it was very accurate with 308, so that's what I started with. It must be true, I read it on the interweb or was it the internets.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    ya i'm familiar w/ that site but use it w/ caution w/ the garand as i dont have an adjustable gas block. rummer of over powered rounds jacking up an heirloom rifle.. makes me a little sketchy unless it's specifically listed as "m1 garand"

Your first post indicated not a garand. That’s why I linked to the site. Are you loading for a garand or not? Yes it does matter.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Your first post indicated not a garand. That’s why I linked to the site. Are you loading for a garand or not? Yes it does matter.

Omg your right hahah. Thanks. I had to go back and exit that to the correct wording.

Yes this would be for a garand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I use H4895. I found the IMR to be temperature sensitive.

I haven’t had a problem with IMR. Granted I’m only shooting in Maryland 25 -550 yards but... when do you typically see temp issues/concerns? Were you using typical ladder tests or OCW load tests?

I’ve found that OCW has been consistent yet not always the tightest group. All sub MOA but not the tightest.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I haven’t had a problem with IMR. Granted I’m only shooting in Maryland 25 -550 yards but... when do you typically see temp issues/concerns? Were you using typical ladder tests or OCW load tests?

I’ve found that OCW has been consistent yet not always the tightest group. All sub MOA but not the tightest.

IMR worked fine for me in the winter.
    In the hot muggy summer I am all over the place at 100 yards.
    I am using 150 grain Hornady bullets.

Just my experiences. H4895 is just consistent for me.
    YMMV :)

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    IMR worked fine for me in the winter.

In the hot muggy summer I am all over the place at 100 yards.

I am using 150 grain Hornady bullets.

Just my experiences. H4895 is just consistent for me.

YMMV :)

I hear ya. In doing OCW groups/testing I found that the tightest group is also close to the scatter node. The scatter nose is where you get 1.... or 2 MOA. Then back to sub MOA. If your right next to the scatter node charge, as temps change... you’ll blow into the scatter at some point. Using OCW gives me a bigger window of tolerance.

I’m only shooting out to 550 but when I took traditional ladder loads they blow it too at 300+. That being said, I’m not precision shooter... 1/2 to 1 MOA is “good enough”.

I looked into OCW loading and haven’t gone back since for anything I think I’ll shoot over 50yards. Haha not going to OCW my 458 SOCOM pistol for example.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I use 3031 in my 308. It's kind of difficult to meter, but it seems to do ok. I've never really bench tested it. Just a plinking load. I read where it was very accurate with 308, so that's what I started with. It must be true, I read it on the interweb or was it the internets.

My 243 shot jagged one hole groups with it and 100 gr bullets. Very accurate in my rifle.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I've used Nosler load data. Seems to work for OCW too. https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/30-06-springfield/
    From me years of experience IMR 4064 works well and MOA in My 30-06 Springfield action with Douglas Premium barrel best accuracy with IMR 4064 47.7 grain 150 gr bullets either Hornady, Sierra or Nosler's all shoot same MOA at 100 yds. That load has killed Dear too in 10 degree weather.

Topher, Never could get H powders to shoot well in this 06! I've thought the Douglas barrel had much to do with that inconsistency's.
    Douglas people I called first introduced me to "Bore Tech Eliminator" I highly recommend this product for cooper removal in you rifles.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2018/08/get-latest-powder-burn-rate-chart-here/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom