• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I need to work on my reloader to make it a bit smoother.

1. The ram seems more stiff than it was a few thousand rounds ago.
    2. primer catch sticks and doesn't "catch" the spent primers.
    3. i swear there was something else that didn't seem right...

Someone identified a potential fix for the primer catch but anyone know what i might try for #1 above? Lube?? Lube the ram and give it a crank or two.. do i need to take it apart?? degrees and re-greease it??

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I need to work on my reloader to make it a bit smoother.

1. The ram seems more stiff than it was a few thousand rounds ago.
    2. primer catch sticks and doesn't "catch" the spent primers.
    3. i swear there was something else that didn't seem right...

Someone identified a potential fix for the primer catch but anyone know what i might try for #1 above? Lube?? Lube the ram and give it a crank or two.. do i need to take it apart?? degrees and re-greease it??

I never had any luck with the cotter pin for the primer catch. I wound up using a thin piece of wire, bent at both ends. Use a long enough piece of wire that you can make the bends a bit of distance from the "chute" to keep it from binding.

I use motor oil on the shaft and regular red grease in the grease fittings. I upgraded my machine to the zerk fittings a few years ago, if your machine is newer, it should have come with them. If not, you can try using a high pressure grease gun tip to get the grease in the linkage, but again, I never had any luck with it. That's why I did the upgrade.

Dillon also has some excellent maintenance videos online. Here is one for the 550.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJuMsTIKsaU

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    One time I noticed that when my primer catch got stuck, a spent primer had made its way to making contact with the ram. Perhaps the same happened to you? The scratches it left on the ram were minor, but I could see that as a potential thing for you to look at, OP. I didn't notice any change in resistance though. I mostly decap off press now, but I've replaced the cotter pin with my own solution: paper clip. No more stick.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I just put a drop or two of oil on the ram every couple hundred rounds. It’s below where all of the work happens, so I’m not worried about the oil getting on anything. Keeps the press running smooth.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Which version of the 550 do you have? (there are at least 3)?

V1: Neither holes nor zerk fittings on the linkage.
    V2: Small (1/16" or so) lube holes on the linkage.
    V3: Zerk fittings on the ends of the shaft for grease gun attachment.

The linkage can gall, making it rough, it either (depending on the version) needs stripping down, polishing & re-lubing, oil run into the small holes, or grease injected through the zerk nuts.
    Also check alignment of the press. If its off it can bind.

To improve the flip chute stick a small magnet to the outside rear right of the moving part & replace the pivot pin. Also check if the part is bent slightly & binding.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My 650 is V1. I just put a drop of oil at each linkage pivot pin every year or so.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I unmount it from the bench, lay it on one side & do that, then I flip it over to the other side & repeat.
    Just so it wicks down inside the linkage pivots.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I decided to try some good ol rem oil in a spray can. Sprayed all the pivot points and OMG. Game changer.

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Rem Oil is not a great lube. It will work for a bit.

Next time you change your oil, drain the left over from several bottles into one. Lifetime supply.

Of, use some of Chad's magical lube. I have a quart of Mobil 1 in my gun area for lubing them. A couple of drops every year on the Dillon works well.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Rem Oil is not a great lube. It will work for a bit.

Next time you change your oil, drain the left over from several bottles into one. Lifetime supply.

Of, use some of Chad's magical lube. I have a quart of Mobil 1 in my gun area for lubing them. A couple of drops every year on the Dillon works well.

I use Mobil 1 on my press for the same reasons (Chad & it's nearby). :lol:

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    3 in 1 electric motor oil from Lowes/ Home Despot.
    Heat the linkage & press thoroughly with a hair dryer on "High" for better penetration first.
    41ETa7CbZtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

10xclean

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2008
    Kingsville
    after 100000 rounds or so, I noticed a gummy build up on the ram... I took the whole press apart, cleaned up the rams with mineral spirits, reoiled it and put it back together... much better. There does come a point where you have to do some maintenance other than adding more oil.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Another mineral spirits cleaner and synthetic motor oil luber here.

My 550 is not that old (less than 10 years) but when the time comes, I will be sending it back to Dillon for rebuild/replacement. For the cost of shipping (or a trip to Phoenix) I will end up with essentially a new press. Dillon customer service has always treated me well and it is nice to stop into their showroom whenever I am on the north side of town.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    All I have done for cleaning is to wipe the ram (run it up and down) with a rag with brake cleaner or some other solvent.

Then re-oil. Instead of disassembly for cleaning and lubing, I will sent it to Dillon and for $75, they will "update" it to the latest spec (with grease fittings).

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Ohhhhh. I never thought about an updated model rebuild.

The press was free (inherited) so I can chuck some money at it.

I got it working much better because of the posts here. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom