• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wahama90

I lived at the lake the first 6 years that I was out of high school. The best place that I found to fish was from the bank on the south side of the Rt. 219 bridge. As you go over the bridge there is a parking area off to the right, but I would just make a u-turn and park along the road. Just hop over the rail and fish from there on the rocks. It was always better at night, especially for walleye. There was a good spot a few hundred yards down from there that was good for bass. It was right beside the information booth, which I think is long gone now.

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    Thanks again for all the info guys. We're heading out there this Sunday for the whole week. Staying at a house we rented from Railey's. Keep an eye out for us. We'll be in a white and silver F250 4x4 with a cap and my MDS sticker on the back:D. Really looking forward to our stay out there rain or shine.

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    Well we are back from DCL. This was our first trip there and hopefully not our last. We had a great time.The weather was pretty good for most of it. We both fell in love with Garrett County. I thought I was going to have to force my wife into the truck to come home:D.
    Thanks for all the tips. Annie's Kitchen,Archie's BBQ and Brenda's pizza were awesome. We ate breakfast everyday at Annie's. Don't have much to say about the Pine Lodge. Hundred dollar meal for two that wasn't that great:sad20:. Never did like UNO's but we went anyway because we had a gift card and I still don't like UNO's :tdown:.
    We did plenty of sight seeing and hiking. Swallow Falls and Blackwater Falls are awesome places to visit. We are both eagerly waiting our next trip out there :thumbsup:.
    100_2252.jpg
    100_2128.jpg

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    It is a different world isnt it? It was one of the reasons why I moved up here! That being said - the Eastern Shore is a great place - I do love that area too. Lots of great fishing in the Eastern Shore - and Maryland Blue Crabs!!

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Sorry you didnt like Pinelodge - last time I ate there it was good - but you are right - a bit pricey. I agree with you 100% about UNOs - I dont eat there - never liked there greasy food! Brendas is good - did you get the big 26" pizza? You always get the looks from the patrons when you do - its like a damn barn door!!

The weather probably wasnt the best during your stay. You left in time though today was rainy with 50 MPH gusts. Usally the weather is more settled here in Mid Summer. Winter however is a whole different ball game.

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    My expectations might of been too high for the Pine Lodge. I had been looking forward to eating there for weeks. I had checked them out on the internet before I inquired on here and I expected something better for the money.
    We just had the normal size pizza at Brenda's. It was more then enough. Wish I hadn't saved trying Brenda's till the last day because it was so good I would of ate there more often.
    Weather was okay. Only one day that kept us from doing much. We were in a big fancy cabin so we just kicked back and relaxed.

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    Theres a class 3 ffl in kitzmiller called bills house of guns. Never been there. If you do tell me about.

Bill Kisner runs a great, part-time shop that has been there for years and years. He provides personal attention, delivers highest quality work, provides a workable inventory of supplies, and has a testing range alongside the shop.

Give him a call before dropping by, just to ensure that he is available.

GC
    ================================

chiefstrum

Jul 17, 2009
    Garrett County
    sang run sport shop has some guns and a nice group of helpful guys. Also, next time you come try mt. state brewery past the wisp for some brick oven pizza and often live music.

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    No bears or deer. Saw plenty of turkeys,chipmunks and a groundhog or two.
    Only deer we saw for the whole trip were roadkill and most of them were in areas you didn't expect to see 'em.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Ive seen Bear quite a few times - had one in the back of my Pick Up truck. I had garbage in the back that I was going to take to the dump - the next day it was all scattered in my yard - and I could see the muddy feet prints allover the flare on the bed. I went to clean up the garbage, and I see a chunky bear trotting across the lot in front of me - and ran into the woods (the bear)

Did run into these 2 a few years ago . I went for a walk in the woods, by my house, and and seen the small one, took a pic real quick - then I seen the mother the (last 2 pics). I have seen her a few times in the road to my house. I think she is still alive - my brother has seen a real big black bear last fall on the road to my house .

Attachments

• BEAR 1.jpg
      BEAR 1.jpg
      148.4 KB · Views: 661
    • BEAR 2.jpg
      BEAR 2.jpg
      129.2 KB · Views: 674
    • Bear 3.jpg
      Bear 3.jpg
      131.2 KB · Views: 689

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    We were hoping to see some bear from a distance. I didn't want a close up veiw:D . One of the things we thought was real neat was how much the forest around Swallow Falls looks like forest areas of Washington state and Vancouver. Must get pretty thick in those area by summer.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Deep Creek Rock... Where do you live?? I have family that owns property off of New Germany Rd and have seen some really big bears there as well. Also saw some good sized Sows in the West end of Swallow Falls while Deer hunting early muzzleloader a few years ago.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    FFMike - I live about a mile or so from the lake in McHenry. Ive seen bears allover the county though. I almost collided with one on I-68 that was pretty big. I was coming down the hill right befire Keysers ridge - doing about 90 MPH. I seen one stepped over a guardrail, getting ready to cross - I had to lock up the brakes, and the bear turned around an ran the other way. Would have totaled my car if I did hit it.

Ive seen a few dead on the road - usally on I-68, but the DNR is pretty quick about collecting them. The population is on the upswing for sure in Garrett Co. I suppose it why thy have a limited hunt after a 50 year ban on it.

I see all kinds of wildlife up here. Ive seen Fishers, coyotes, red & grey foxes, - tons of deer. Ive seen lots of grouse, even seen a grouse drumming in the middle of my road, to another one - but Ive yet to catch a glimpse of a Bobcat. Id really like to get a picture of one.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Seen the coyotes myself.... Friend shot one while we were early muzzleloading for deer... Fox, grouse (I had one drumming under my treestand during a bow season hunt, was like he was giving away my location!).... My bro in law has seen a a few bobcat on his place and has also come across some Large Cat prints in the mud and snow (wide as his hand and almost as tall as his hand).

Lot to see up there, that's for sure.

lotofpez

Feb 10, 2011
    Cumberland
    Several years ago I hit a black bear with my little GTI on New Germany Rd right past the little ma and pa store. $4000 later a gril hit me on Glen dale road and totaled the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom