• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have come to the conclusion that buying a new Ruger GP100 ($601) and having it converted to 10mm ($650) would cost me several hundred dollars less than purchasing a used S&W 610 ($1500+). The plus side is I'll have a stronger, smaller new revolver that I find is pretty easy to shoot, since the 610 is built on an N-Frame. The minus side is the double-action trigger on the GP100 is not noted for being smooth, whereas the 610 I used to own had a glass smooth DA trigger. I could purchase a used GP100 for about $100 less than new. Still debating new versus used, but I'm going to do this this year.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    610s really go for that much?

Damn, I wish I knew more about wheel guns. There was one listed locally for $800 a few weeks ago and sold quickly...

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    610s really go for that much?

Damn, I wish I knew more about wheel guns. There was one listed locally for $800 a few weeks ago and sold quickly...

I missed a similar deal in December. I'm looking for the 6" barreled GP100 so I can hunt with it in certain states. Virginia isn't as fussy about it as it used to be.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    The trigger on my GP is as smooth as can be. In fact, one of the best triggers on a gun I've shot probably.

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    I have come to the conclusion that buying a new Ruger GP100 ($601) and having it converted to 10mm ($650) would cost me several hundred dollars less than purchasing a used S&W 610 ($1500+). The plus side is I'll have a stronger, smaller new revolver that I find is pretty easy to shoot, since the 610 is built on an N-Frame. The minus side is the double-action trigger on the GP100 is not noted for being smooth, whereas the 610 I used to own had a glass smooth DA trigger. I could purchase a used GP100 for about $100 less than new. Still debating new versus used, but I'm going to do this this year.

Obviously you haven't shot a GP. But if you're investing $650 to convert one to 10mm, you may as well spend a little more to have some trigger work done.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Obviously you haven't shot a GP. But if you're investing $650 to convert one to 10mm, you may as well spend a little more to have some trigger work done.

I used to own a GP100, and shot a couple of IDPA matches with it. It was a first year production gun. The trigger was fine, just not as good as a S&W or Colt.

retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    I had the smith at engage go through the trigger on my gp100. Trigger and hammer shims, springs, and a light fluff and the trigger is as good as my sweet 686.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017

A good gunsmith can make it smooth.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    The whole project sounds amazing. Please post a thorough shooting review when it is complete!

Sharadeth

Oct 11, 2011

I love my Smith's but I'll leave you with the words of wisdom that a friend left me. You can make a Ruger as smooth as a Smith, but you can't make a Smith as overbuilt as a Ruger.

If my GP100's are any indication, you can get them smoother than an unassuming ice patch :D

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I'm sending it to Clements. I might send my Taurus 405 to him, too, if he'll work on it.

I was going to send my GP-100 in for the .40cal conversion but never did. I just saw on his website that he has a wait time of 8-12 months for work. :shocking:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To split semantics -

It is not physically possible to make a GP-100 as smooth as it is possible to make an S&W .

It IS possible to make a GP-100 plenty darn smooth, and suitable for any usage.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I just saw on his website that he has a wait time of 8-12 months for work. :shocking:

All the best smiths have a several month if not several year wait for this kind of work. Call John Linebaugh and ask what the wait would be for him to chamber his 475 or 500 on your Blackhawk. Patience is a virtue here.

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    Big GP100 fan here. I got my first one in May of last year, and I now have 4 of them, including one in 22lr. Last December I bought a S&W 627 8 shot 357, and I have since sold it. Why? A combination of the trigger and the fact that I can get an 8 shot Redhawk. This S&W and all of the ones I've tried in stores had faster triggers than my Rugers...I can see why this is the gun of choice in the competition world. But I like being able to stage accurate double action shots and it seemed very difficult with the S&W. Out of the 3 357 GP100s I have, one of them is the Match Champion, and one of my standard GP100s has a trigger as nice as that. I've heard the Match Champion series has raised the quality of the GP100 triggers across the board, and in my limited experience, I have to agree.

Mtwoodson

May 7, 2011
    Western Eastern Shore
    With a little work, a GP-100 can have a dandy trigger. I've had them with triggers as good as the S&W PC triggers.
    And Clements is the way to roll. He builds a very nice 10MM GP-100. I've been looking and thinking about that for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom