• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have a H&R Handi Rifle in .35Whelen. Love that little gun. I only paid $230 for it at Dicks. I would buy a Henry lever rifle if they had the loading gate. Not interested in that tube feed set up they use. Would be nice for them to actually build something original instead of just another copy. Speaking of, looks like they are selling a copy of the Browning BLR now.

Not using a loading gate on a lever action rifle was pretty original.

Hall Pass

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2017
    Hereford, MD
    I really have a lot of fun shooting groundhogs with my Henry Golden Boy. I put a Cabelas scope on it with a Henry cantilever scope mount. It's a nice looking fun gun to shoot.

What caliber are you shooting them with? And why is it that the golden boy is so expensive? I wanted to get one a couple of years ago but it seemed way too high so I didnt even bother saving up for it.

cyclops

Dec 31, 2016
    Western Md.
    I'm a Henry fan and the tube magazines don't really bother me, can't wait to have a look at their new single shots when they come out.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Not using a loading gate on a lever action rifle was pretty original.

We did a test at the club one day. Uberti 1873 with gate vs the Henry 357 to load ten.

Two of us and switched rifles. Henry won by a smidge both times...both my rifles lol. I really thought the gate would blow it away!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    We did a test at the club one day. Uberti 1873 with gate vs the Henry 357 to load ten.

Two of us and switched rifles. Henry won by a smidge both times...both my rifles lol. I really thought the gate would blow it away!

But I presume that if you have to load a couple rounds quickly and fire in an emergency situation, that the side gate-loading rifle would win. With the Henry 357 (which I have in the steel receiver carbine version), the largest time loss is pulling the the rod from the loading tube. After this, the speed in loading makes up for time loss, esp with a larger round count.

Anyway, not dinging the Henry as I'm happy with mine.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

It's harder to load singles in a toggle-link levergun versus the modern Henry. Of course loading an original style Henry can be faster than loading a gate rifle.

At a cowboy action shoot a few years ago, the match director got a brilliant idea. Start the stage with six rounds in the tube of our rifles, then have us load four more on the clock. Comedy ensued. I've never seen so many cartridges flipped out into the dirt than that one stage. I was running my Uberti 1860, so I pulled up the follower, dumped four rounds that I had staged into the tube, dropped the follower and it was on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom