• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I will be getting an upper receiver back, which has the FA and dust cover. However, I'm thinking for a 3-gun rifle, a slick side upper receiver would drop the weight some. Do I really need a FA and dust cover on a competition rifle? This rifle will basically be like a Formula 1 car, light and fast, no frills.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    JP doesn't have either on their CTR-02 competition AR's so I'd say not needed.

As far as FA, don't think i've ever needed it with any of my AR's and frankly, thinking that forcing a round in the chamber probably isn't the best idea, at least in a competition environment where lives aren't at stake.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Some online merchants have the Aero Precision upper sans FA for a pretty good price, though they're in FDE. I will have a dust cover installed, as I forgot that certain big western matches are pretty dusty during the summer. If I can be patient enough to save the scratch up :lol: I'll get this set instead of using the new spare upper receiver and lower https://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com/bad556-lw-lightweight-7075-t6-billet-lower-receiver-set and get more lightweight build stuff. That set, combined, weighs about 13 oz. As usual, this build will go way over budget :sad20:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't know how much weight you're going to save by removing these 2 items. The dust cover isn't necessary, so that can go. The FA is just cheap insurance. But since a failure isn't life threatening without a FA, go for it. Uppers are cheap. Experiment until you find that right combination.

Good Luck!

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Some of the slick side ones like the DPMS actually weight more than regular uppers because they are thicker. If you want you can just leave the dust cover off and put the plug in the FA.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Some of the slick side ones like the DPMS actually weight more than regular uppers because they are thicker. If you want you can just leave the dust cover off and put the plug in the FA.

The Battlearms set (upper and lower receiver) combined weigh less than the DPMS upper receiver ;)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I find it funny that the Bootleg lightweight upper receiver costs twice as much as the Mil-Spec version, even though the lightweight version has less material.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I find it funny that the Bootleg lightweight upper receiver costs twice as much as the Mil-Spec version, even though the lightweight version has less material.

My guess, it is a smaller run product. Not too many are sold nor requested. Any product that has a limited run is going to cost more.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo

More machine time.

Everything lightweight has a premium. Porsche charges extra to remove door handles and replace them with cord pulls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom