• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Double Tap sells a 230gr 10mm round as well as the component bullets http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/ca...ucts_id=270&osCsid=urp5reiamn77ua4s8299e1ark0 . They advertise that the round they sell hits 1140 fps out of a Glock 20. I'll be shooting this reload out of a 1911 and a 6.5" S&W 610. Does anyone here have a recipe that duplicates this? And how hard is it to reload using a gas check and lead bullet combo? I have not tried that yet. Thanks.

Jim

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    This looks like a good bullet! I am going to order a 100 and give them a try. I load 38s with gas checks its not hard at all.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    This looks like a good bullet! I am going to order a 100 and give them a try. I load 38s with gas checks its not hard at all.

Do I just treat them like regular lead bullets? Does the gas check stick to the bottom or do I need to hold it before seating it into the case? I usually don't futz with lead since the last time I did I got a batch of out of spec bullets that didn't feed in my 1911.

I'm getting these and the 200gr bullets, too. I have about 200 empty 10mm cases waiting for something to do.

Jim

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    The gas check is fitted on to the bottom of the bullet, so there's no difference from regular cast bullets as far as loading them. I'm not sure exactly why a bullet loaded to 1100 fps would really need a GC, but maybe they expect people might load them in something else.

The heaviest bullet I've loaded in a 10mm is 200gr, didn't have any trouble, but a 230 gr will be 15% longer, so you might have to worry about the OAL, being too long to fit the mag or feed reliably. I had to seat some 260 gr in .45 ACP pretty deeply to get them working and they never did do all that well for me. You shouldn't have any trouble with the heavy bullets in your Smith, though, I wouldn't think.

I'd be interested to hear how they do for you as far as accuracy and velocity.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    :thumbsup:
    The gas check is fitted on to the bottom of the bullet, so there's no difference from regular cast bullets as far as loading them. I'm not sure exactly why a bullet loaded to 1100 fps would really need a GC, but maybe they expect people might load them in something else.

The heaviest bullet I've loaded in a 10mm is 200gr, didn't have any trouble, but a 230 gr will be 15% longer, so you might have to worry about the OAL, being too long to fit the mag or feed reliably. I had to seat some 260 gr in .45 ACP pretty deeply to get them working and they never did do all that well for me. You shouldn't have any trouble with the heavy bullets in your Smith, though, I wouldn't think.

I'd be interested to hear how they do for you as far as accuracy and velocity.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Yes, this should be interesting, I'll probably load it out longer for the 610 and 1.260" for the Kimber. Now I just need a recipe. Looks like I'll be hitting the 10mm Forum again.

Jim

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    One of the guys suggested 9.5gr of Blue Dot as a starting load, so I'll do that and work my way up. I wish there was some place closer that I could run a pistol through a chronograph.

Jim

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    More replies from the 10mm forum. I can load it longer in the 610, but I have to load it short in the Kimber or it won't feed. The Double Tap owner said to start with Blue Dot at 8.5 grains and work up. That's with the shorter loading. The member who loads shorter started at 8.5 and worked up to 9.3gr and then backed off to 8.9. No pressure signs with the hotter load. The bullets get to my place tonight, but I won't be able to get to the range until next week. I also got a few of the 200gr lead bullets, we'll see how that works.

Jim

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I finally opened up the box of 230gr bullets. The 200gr bullets were fine, looked great coming out of the box. The .230gr bullets did not. Wrinkles on the surface of some of the bullets. I loaded up 24 of the 230s, one with 8.0gr of Blue Dot, the other with 8.6. Going to run the first six throught 610, then the next six in the Kimber.

Jim

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    One other disappointment with the 230s. I weighed them out, they're all 220gr, not 230. I'm pretty certain they used to sell 220gr lead ammo, so I'm wondering if I got some leftover 220s instead of the actual 230s.

Jim

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I need to double check my loads, but I did manage to get out to Delmarva Monday and got some shots over the cronograph before I got a cartridge stuck in the Kimber.

It looks like 9.1gr of Blue Dot got me an average of 1132fps out of my 610 and 1060fps out of my Kimber. The 610 gave me a +- of 20fps, while the Kimber gave me +- 50fps. Slight flattening of the primers.

I need to check the Power Pistol load, I did a close to max load and got an average of 1185fps out of the 610 and 1130 out of the Kimber, +- both 10fps. Again, slight flattening of the primers, but neither load had cratering around the firing pin and were not as flat as the Winchester Silvertips I've used before.

Jim

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Pistols used are 6.5" S&W 610 and 5" Kimber STII

Load 1
    200gr LFP
    7.5gr Power Pistol
    610 averaged 1185 fps
    Kimber averaged 1131 fps

Load 2
    200gr LFP
    8.1gr Blue Dot
    610 averaged 1036 fps
    Kimber averaged 970 fps

Load 3
    220gr LFP
    6.9gr Power Pistol
    610 averaged 1120 fps
    Kimber averaged 1065 fps

Load 5
    220gr LFP
    8.0gr Bluee Dot
    610 averaged 1020 fps
    Kimber averaged 960fps

Load 6
    220gr LFP
    8.5gr Blue Dot
    610 averaged 1080 fps
    Kimber stuck the first round so no data

Note: Blue Dot loads were up and down 50 fps in the Kimber. I'm thinking Power Pistol is going to be my go to powder until I get a better powder measure.

Jim

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm going to try this again since I'm back in the 10mm world. Double-Tap no long sells their component bullets, although I still have a few left. I got a batch of 200gr hard cast LFP bullets from Badman Bullets and will be trying them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom