• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D_S

Aug 22, 2018
    Hollywood
    My "Battle Rifle" is a garand, then I drop to a carbine.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yes, but we were talking "Battle Rifle" not "Assault rifles".

There is a very specific definition for an assault rifle. What is the definition of a battle rifle? Do we really mean MILSURPLUS? Do we really mean civilian clones of MILSURPLUS? A G3 is a battle rifle but you can't own one unless it's NFA transferable.

I mean if you want to split hairs ...

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    A Main Battle Rifle is a fill sized rifle...not a carbine. It fires a full powered cartridge like .30-06, .308, 8mm Mauser, .303 British, 7.62x54 Russian for examples. A Main Battle Rifle may be semi-auto, select-fire or a bolt-action. Examples are the M1 Garand, 1903 Springfield, M14, British SMLE, Mosin-Nagant, FN-FAL, G3 and others.

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    So many choices....I'm sort of with Norton on this one....the FAL standard barrel length, DSA mount, say TORIC Scope and match 168grn they are superbly accurate....in todays world if a bolt, yes bolt then hands down the Tikka Sporter in .308....these scoped are Tack drivers....its basically the Sako TRG42 ....serious accuracy indeed.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Guess I'm getting old, but I don't want to lug around a heavy full battle rifle any longer. Too big, weighs too much and ammo is too heavy to carry for number of rounds per pound. Unless you're shooting over 300 or 400 yards over open terrain they aren't that practical for modern urban warfare characteristics. In WWII in Europe and Pacific islands where open fields and forests were the battlegrounds they made practical sense. When fighting in urban areas not so much. Heck even the Germans, during WWII, developed and used assault rifles and used them to great effect; even under the same conditions full battle rifles were being used.
    But if YOU want one I say buy it and enjoy. I did; owned and shot M1 Garand, U.S. Rifle model 1917, Swiss K31, Mosin Nagant, M14 and others, but I'm past that phase of my life.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Correct, all "M-14" rifles are considered machine guns, as they were built with a selector switch.

My USMC issued "U.S. Military Springfield M-14" was Ser# 183260, and built in 1959. But the fun switch had been removed.

We had a few small boxes of the selector switches in our armory. We never really used them due to the “wild ride”.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    What it says, I'm game for anything auto-loading, chambered in .308 / 7.62. I know there have been some threads on this topic before, but I wanted some fresh opinions on definitive MD compliant battle rifle choices.

OP, I’ve read every post in this thread.
    IMNSHO, there are some GREAT responses.

I don’t know your age or physical attributes/health.

I’m 66 years old, and my body isn’t what it used to be.
    Right this minute, the LAST firearm “MBR” that I’d choose, is my beloved M1A.
    I LOVE this rifle, but, it’s a HEAVY beast at 2 ounces less than 15 lbs., empty!!

I own from ‘03 Springfield, M1 Garand, M1A, AR-15, M4 CLONE(s), and a DPMS AR-308.

Speaking only for ME, I’d suggest in this order:

DPMS/SR-25 design in .308
    AR-15 (yes, I’m fully aware it’s NOT a MBR). I wouldn’t hesitate to use/carry mine w/69 gr or 77 gr ammo.
    Polytech M14 (and have a GOOD gunsmith do the bolt conversion/fix).
    I’m not sure about the legality of replacing the 22” barrel with a “Scout” barrel, but, IF it were legal, I’d surely do it.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    ……………………………..
    Polytech M14 (and have a GOOD gunsmith do the bolt conversion/fix)……………………….

Hogwash. I owned one for decades and had zero problems. That crap was trumped up back in the day by Fulton Armory because the Chicom rifles cost half the price but were better made.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If I remember...it was the Norinco made M14 clones that had the bad rep...I don't remember hearing anything negative about the PolyTech other than not being US made. Norinco made a lot of crap...a friend had some Norinco .223 ammunition and it was the dirtiest ammo he ever used...couldn't get more than one magazine through his AR-15 without having to clean it to get it functioning again.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I'm with ya' on that. Years ago I had Charlie Maloney "massage" my M1A. Dude's a magician with an M1A.

Mr. Maloney ‘massaged’ my beloved M1A.

A good friend of mine had an M1 Garand worked on by FA, and while it did shoot extremely well, he had an issue with it, and took it back to FA.
    (It would produce 5/8” groups at 100 yards, that opened up to 6 to 8” groups!)

They kept this M1 for over 13 months, and said they couldn’t find any problem.

He retrieved his rifle and contacted Charles Maloney.

Charles had the rifle less than 15 minutes, and found that the stock was cracked, badly.

FA ‘might’ have been good, years ago, but, I don’t trust them. They’re too interested in the green backs.

Last edited:

LongRanger300

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 14, 2020
    If price is no option and .308/7.62x51 is the requirement then the SCAR or POF Revolution of that caliber and something light is needed. A battle rifle has to be carried so lighter is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom