• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    Ray,
    I have tried multiple things over the years in my safes. I currently have three battery operated touch lights, as someone mentioned earlier they do not completely light the entire safe and cast some shadows. I bought rope lighting and it has been sitting for two years without being installed. I always forget about it until I see threads about safes. My first Liberty safe had a wooden peg system that held pistols on the inside of the door. I sold that safe with my last house and my new Liberty safe has a felt inside on the door (the last one had a faux leather inside). I don't personally care for the door pouches that is on the market for this set up. I found a DIY pistol rack that fits underneath of the shelves and clears up you shelf space. It's made up of a 2x2 that I cut to fit and painted, then I mounted metal rods that fit in the barrels (I heated shrink tubing on them to avoid damage to the barrels). I don't use one of the rods, what I do is collect the free desiccant packs that come in my wife and kids shoes boxes, I place them on the shelves and also in all of my ammo cans. I do like the LED lighting system that was post on the first page but I think sooner or later I'm gonna put in the rope lights that I have. Good Luck in what ever you decide to do and I agree with the others, buy the biggest safe you can't afford because your gonna fill it quick.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Ok, new dilemma.

The safe is 28" wide. My plan was to put it in my work room which is essentially a large walk-in closet on the bottom level. I measured the door and it is only 23" wide.
    I want to know if it is ok to put it in the garage with a golden rod in it? Are there any issues with that?

Thanks.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Ray,
    I have tried multiple things over the years in my safes. I currently have three battery operated touch lights, as someone mentioned earlier they do not completely light the entire safe and cast some shadows. I bought rope lighting and it has been sitting for two years without being installed. I always forget about it until I see threads about safes. My first Liberty safe had a wooden peg system that held pistols on the inside of the door. I sold that safe with my last house and my new Liberty safe has a felt inside on the door (the last one had a faux leather inside). I don't personally care for the door pouches that is on the market for this set up. I found a DIY pistol rack that fits underneath of the shelves and clears up you shelf space. It's made up of a 2x2 that I cut to fit and painted, then I mounted metal rods that fit in the barrels (I heated shrink tubing on them to avoid damage to the barrels). I don't use one of the rods, what I do is collect the free desiccant packs that come in my wife and kids shoes boxes, I place them on the shelves and also in all of my ammo cans. I do like the LED lighting system that was post on the first page but I think sooner or later I'm gonna put in the rope lights that I have. Good Luck in what ever you decide to do and I agree with the others, buy the biggest safe you can't afford because your gonna fill it quick.

Thanks George. I would like to see some pictures of the DYI pistol rack if you have any.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Ok, new dilemma.

The safe is 28" wide. My plan was to put it in my work room which is essentially a large walk-in closet on the bottom level. I measured the door and it is only 23" wide.
    I want to know if it is ok to put it in the garage with a golden rod in it? Are there any issues with that?

Thanks.
    How deep is the safe? I just found this review.
    http://www.olddudeswithguns.com/correction-cannon-safe-cs24-executive-safe/

It says the safe is 26" wide and 20" deep. Could you turn the safe sideways on a dolly and get it in the room with the 23" door?

I would try my best if I were you to keep the safe indoors. The temperature fluctuations outside are too great.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    How deep is the safe? I just found this review.
    http://www.olddudeswithguns.com/correction-cannon-safe-cs24-executive-safe/

It says the safe is 26" wide and 20" deep. Could you turn the safe sideways on a dolly and get it in the room with the 23" door?

I would try my best if I were you to keep the safe indoors. The temperature fluctuations outside are too great.

Ok, I now feel like the biggest idiot :lol2: I didn't even think to look at the depth...:sad20: Thanks for pointing out something that should have been very obvious.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Door too small? No problem.

Attachments

• chainsaw.jpg
      chainsaw.jpg
      12.7 KB · Views: 382

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    I've been thinking about getting one for a while. I just got my first lower and my 3' cubic safe isn't large enough for it. Well I should say the safe isn't large enought for the rifle that will eventually be built (once I can find parts for it).

Great suggestions on the ideas. Does anyone have suggestions on a bolt down application? I.e. I'm assuming it could bold down into the concrete of a basement. Would a regular 18v dewalt drill be able to drill that hole with the right bit? Or do i need a hammer drill or something stronger?

I don't think it was posted here, but when moving around these large safes, it's recommended to take off the door. It helps to reduce the weight to manuver it to it's final spot.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I've been thinking about getting one for a while. I just got my first lower and my 3' cubic safe isn't large enough for it. Well I should say the safe isn't large enought for the rifle that will eventually be built (once I can find parts for it).

Great suggestions on the ideas. Does anyone have suggestions on a bolt down application? I.e. I'm assuming it could bold down into the concrete of a basement. Would a regular 18v dewalt drill be able to drill that hole with the right bit? Or do i need a hammer drill or something stronger?

I don't think it was posted here, but when moving around these large safes, it's recommended to take off the door. It helps to reduce the weight to manuver it to it's final spot.

You MAY not need a hammer drill but it will make the job MUCH easier (and faster). I used high psi expansion anchors for mine.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    You need a hammer drill, and a heavy duty one at that. You can rent them easily or if you know somebody that has one. Good luck!

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Another question:

Do most of you store your rifles in the safe with gun socks or without? I understand the benefit of a gun sock in terms of keeping them from scratching...but do they do anything to prevent rust?

Thanks.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    I just installed one of those velcro door pistol holders in my safe. About a 10 minute install and sure did clear some shelf space. I would recommend one of those for a safe.

Mark C

Jul 6, 2008
    I got one of these a year or two ago. My delivery guy took it off the truck and rolled it into my garage for me - only about 100' and perfectly level, but still was nice.

Mine has a multi-outlet panel inside, I think 4 plugs total. Also has one or two USB ports for remote data storage.

Rope lights in mine because they were leftover from Christmas, but I like the look of those LED strips!

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    Another question:

Do most of you store your rifles in the safe with gun socks or without? I understand the benefit of a gun sock in terms of keeping them from scratching...but do they do anything to prevent rust?

Thanks.

No socks for me. If anything, I think they attract and hold moisture. Just MHO though.

goneshootin88

Sep 22, 2009
    MOCO
    I got the pistol holder shown below from midway for $20 I think. It allows me to have the 6 pistols it holds plus another 3 or so on the top shelf. Without it I was maybe getting 4 up there. And yes, I know a lot of guys won't like that the pistols are facing you when you open the safe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      86.9 KB · Views: 238
    Use LED strip lighting. They put out three times as much light as rope lighting and looks better. The strip has adhesive tape on the backing and can be bent to go around cornes. Can be cut every 2" and use a connector to splice if needed but I was able to run without splices and also was able to thread the strip in behind the hinges for a solid run.

Run it all the way around the inside of the door frame facing in. You won't see it and it will light up all those spaces that those little battery operated lights won't reach because they are shining down past the shelves and leaving shadows in the deep recesses.

Mount the motion sensor on the side wall on the same side as your recepticle to make it easier to run the wires. I put mine in the top hinge corner, using space that will never be used for anything. When you open the door, it will sense the motion of the door and turn on. It will remain lit as long as there is movement in the area. It will turn off after 15 seconds if motion stops.

Photo is without flash. The two battery operated lights in the ceiling of the safe are turned off. They are pretty much useless in my opinion.

For about $35 you can have decent lighting.

Strip and transformer is from Amazon.com

LED Strip Lights
    http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Stri...1359077011&sr=8-1&keywords=led+strip+lighting

12 Volt LED Power Supply
    http://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Sup...112&sr=8-12&keywords=led+strip+lighting+power

Motion Switch is from www.superbrightleds.com.
    I use this switch because it uses terminals to connect the wires rather than molded connector which makes it easier to customise you wiring and these guys are cheaper than most other places.

Motion Switch. I use #2
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/switches/filter/Type,PIR_Motion_Sensor,60,4167:

P.S. I used this same system except I used a dimmer/on/off switch as under cabinet lighting in our kitchen.

Thats a nice job...Will definitely keep in mind..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom