• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Anything new on this? I believe the state is overdue on their response?

Schedule appears in limbo right now and the SAF is fighting some other stuff right now. We should see something within a few weeks. Either a status conference to reset deadlines, a plaintiff MSJ or something along those lines.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Revised Plaintiff Motion for Summary Judgement

I was waiting for the slam dunk in NJ, nothing on Pacer. Waiting for Chicago's Response in Ezell, also due today, also not on Pacer, Gray tells me there's an update in his case...what to do?

WTF...punched up Woollard...

Plaintiffs SAF filed a revised MSJ today, earlier one was filed 11/15/10. The big difference I noted was in their Table of Authorities at the beginning, and I usually skip over:
    United States v. Chester,
    628 F.3d 673 (4th Cir. 2010). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1, 7, 13, 18

Chester is used 4 times in this one...

Pg 1
    Meanwhile, on December 30, 2010, the Fourth Circuit published United States v. Chester, 628 F.3d 673 (4th Cir. 2010), explaining that the “core” Second Amendment right is “the right of a law-abiding, responsible citizen to possess and carry a weapon for self-defense.”
    Chester, 628 F.3d at __, 2010 U.S. App. LEXIS 26508 at *26. Chester further explained that where applicable, the means-ends standard of review in Second Amendment cases is either strict or intermediate scrutiny, depending on the nature of the claim asserted. Id. And Chester further instructed, “[g]iven Heller’s focus on ‘core’ Second Amendment conduct and the Court’s frequent references to First Amendment doctrine, we agree with those who advocate looking to the First Amendment as a guide in developing a standard of review for the Second Amendment.”
    Chester, 628 F.3d at __, 2010 U.S. App. LEXIS 26508 at *24 (citations omitted).

Then, on Pg 2
    Although Defendants never responded to the outstanding motion for summary judgment as apparently contemplated by the November 22 memorandum, Plaintiffs believe the intervening decision in Chester—a significant Fourth Circuit precedent providing guidance as to the Second Amendment’s application—nonetheless warrants the re-submission of their motion, so that the Court and the parties may address the issues more efficiently, and so that Defendants are afforded a clear opportunity to fully respond.
    We see that they felt Chester so important (it is) to the case, they're updating their existing MSJ with Chester content. Oh...and so the Court and 'parties' may address the issues more efficiently and the Defendants can now respond it they want and it isn't too much problem....

I think it's a great move given that a Defendant response to the Plaintiff MSJ was the only item left standing, lets reinforce our MSJ before they do so with relevant and helpful material.

Pg 13
    The law of prior restraint, well-developed in the First Amendment context, supplies useful guidance here. we agree with those who advocate looking to the First Amendment as a guide in developing a standard of review for the Second Amendment.” Chester, 628 F.3d at __, 2010 U.S. App. LEXIS 26508 at *24 (citing United States v. Marzzarella, 614 F.3d 85, 89 n.4 (3d Cir. 2010) (“the structure of First Amendment doctrine should inform our analysis of the Second Amendment”) (other citation omitted); see also Parker v. District of Columbia, 478 F.3d 370, 399 (D.C. Cir. 2007), aff’d sub nom Heller (“The protections of the Second Amendment are subject to the same sort of reasonable restrictions that have been recognized as limiting, for instance, the First Amendment.”) (citation omitted).
    Putting 2A analysis on par with prior 1A analysis and prohibitions on 1A Prior Restraint....I like where this is leading...

Bring it on...

http://www.archive.org/download/gov.uscourts.mdd.180772/gov.uscourts.mdd.180772.22.0.pdf

Edit: Patrick is friggin eerie sometimes....look at the post above mine, from yesterday.
    a plaintiff MSJ or something along those lines.
    :sad20:

Last edited:

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Oh and BTW, this one too:
    02/18/2011 21 MOTION for Summary Judgment by Second Amendment Foundation, Inc., Raymond Woollard. Responses due by 3/7/2011 (Attachments: # 1 Text of Proposed Order)(Gura, Alan) (Entered: 02/18/2011)

The thumbscrews have definitely been cranked down on Gansler & Co....some semblance of a schedule.

2-3 months? 2-3 years?

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Tea Party in WI has more attention than the updated Woollard MSJ.

A Karma for $100 SAF gift certificate Karma gets EIGHT entrants last Nov. Ones for pocket knives have hundreds.

MDS Member Gray Peterson's 2A efforts seem to garner so little interest. He is a vital soldier in the 2A battle we're fighting nation wide. Why the silence?

My update on D'Cruz v BATFE changing Plaintiff to a nice young TX girl who happens to shoot...crickets. Same topic on Calguns has 30+ posts already. WTF is wrong here on MDS?

I sometimes wonder where peoples priorities are. I guess I should post a picture of my M&P in the Official M&P picture thread....:sad20:

Fringe folks, you're not helping. I'll just leave it there.

Sorry I'm ill tempered tonight...

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Sorry I'm ill tempered tonight...

Hang in there, and have to beer to help relax.

Since I'm one of them fringe folks, I've been remaining silent. lol

Seriously, Your posts today have been enlightening, especially since things have been happening at a furious pace lately.

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    Seriously, Your posts today have been enlightening, especially since things have been happening at a furious pace lately.

Concur. Don't confuse a lack of replies with a lack of impact. As much as I enjoy pronouncements that the 10mm short is a limp-wristed round (I do, and it is), the real value of this site, for me, is the tracking and analysis of shit that's real. Your shit, sir, is real... and deeply appreciated. I hope you continue to share your insight with those of us who are still relatively new to the cause.

rglrguy

Dec 15, 2010
    Harford
    Krucam, FWIW, this is the first thread I look at everytime I pull up MDS because its the most important one on the sight. I then look at the rest of the MD legislation followed by the national stuff. I don't have much insight to add to this discussion but I truly enjoy listening to you and Patrick explain things far above my level of comprehension :thumbsup:

Oreo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 23, 2008
    I agree with the above sentiments. Truth is the MD & National 2A section of MDShooters is the only reason I come here. I'm here every day round the clock anxiously awaiting the latest news. I lurk a lot just because after Krucam, Patrick, Gray Peterson, Norton, and a few others have had their say there just isn't anything more for me to add. You guys are just that good.

J.Brown

Apr 3, 2008
    Hampstead
    While I am just a dumb fireman, I also typically can't add to the intelligent plain English posts that the couple of you post that understand this stuff.

Having said that, 3 weeks for gansler's reply, then I'm guessing it's up to the judge on how long he takes to decide whether to rule or have it out?

Say he rules, having used Chester in the msj, will MD be able to/ stupid enough to appeal to the circuit knowing there just gonna refer to Chester?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Concur. Don't confuse a lack of replies with a lack of impact. As much as I enjoy pronouncements that the 10mm short is a limp-wristed round (I do, and it is), the real value of this site, for me, is the tracking and analysis of shit that's real. Your shit, sir, is real... and deeply appreciated. I hope you continue to share your insight with those of us who are still relatively new to the cause.

I like to think most of us choose not to pollute it with our blatherings.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    Krucam, FWIW, this is the first thread I look at everytime I pull up MDS because its the most important one on the sight. I then look at the rest of the MD legislation followed by the national stuff. I don't have much insight to add to this discussion but I truly enjoy listening to you and Patrick explain things far above my level of comprehension :thumbsup:

What he said. :thumbsup:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom