• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Luigi2020

Oct 21, 2013
    Nottingham, MD
    I got my MD carry permit a few months ago and I'm thinking of getting a revolver. A friend has a Ruger LCR (9mm) that he carries and is going to let me take it to the range. I've looked at a few different revolvers at shops but I'm open to any suggestions.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Anything before 1998 named Smith and Wesson, Colt, or also Ruger. I have some nearly new in box vintage 1980 and 1970 revolvers that are dead nuts accurate with sweet triggers. 2.5" - 4" barrel is also a good choice although it depends on your body size. I can stow a 4" model 13 and you would never know. You can also find some 7 shot sub 4" barrel 586s as well but they are more rare. Some people can hide a 4", others not. I prefer 357 because it gives me more options. 38 spl is about the same as 9mm and with modern bullet technology you can get good terminal performance. I also prefer the option of single action over the hammerless. My 0.02 is you cant go wrong with anything that fits these parameters and it comes down to grips and what you can comfortably shoot and conceal.

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    Definitely shoot before you buy, I have an S&W airweight snubby, quite concealable but very uncomfortable for me to shoot.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Several S&W J frames made now without the lock which are worth a look. Ruger also as mentioned. Older Colts are nice if you find one you like.

I'm a big .38 fan in small guns. 9mm isn't a bad option if you have one already and prefer to keep the ammo situation simple but that limits you in options.

.327 is an option which I really like but I wouldn't suggest it to most people.

Nice thing about a revolver is you should be able to find a grip that you like as there are more possibilities there by design, unlike an auto which can only be X dimensions to hold the mag.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    If I was going to carry a revolver it would be that LCR in 9mm.
    Dependable, light and prefer 9mm ballistic options.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Look at the new model Colt Cobra...six round capacity vs. five in most competition offerings plus an excellent trigger. If you want a .357 the King Cobra will do in the nearly identical, but beefed up frame. If you prefer old school a Detective Special or lightweight Cobra does nicely. When I was a law officer and restricted to a revolver a Cobra was my regular companion.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I am fond of small revolver carry - and have a Kimber K6S (6 shot, 38 Special/357 Mag), Colt Cobra (2017 model, 6 shot, 38 Special), Ruger SP101 (5 shot, 38 Special/357 Mag), and S&W Model 60 (J-frame, 5 shot, 38 Special) as options. I can't get rid of any because I really like them all, and they shoot great at the range.

If on a trail, I like my SP101 with 3-inch barrel because 357 Magnum is very controllable with this gun, and it's still relatively small and easy to carry.

The K6S and Cobra are great all around options. I shoot the Cobra slightly better, but the K6S is so small and yet still manageable with no exposed hammer. Both the K6S and Cobra have excellent triggers - the K6S in DAO (super smooth and predictable) as well as the Cobra's SA (crisp) and DA (smooth and predictable) pull.

Some gratuitous pictures below (of the K6S, SP101, and Cobra, respectively)...
    b5c067ecbc3903bf21c3b261825ea981.jpg
    541423a537c7a874855ea82cda70cdf5.jpg
    a55c56b1b166e4cfc7060c43c3ba5b30.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am fond of small revolver carry - and have a Kimber K6S (6 shot, 38 Special/357 Mag), Colt Cobra (2017 model, 6 shot, 38 Special), Ruger SP101 (5 shot, 38 Special/357 Mag), and S&W Model 60 (J-frame, 5 shot, 38 Special) as options. I can't get rid of any because I really like them all, and they shoot great at the range.

If on a trail, I like my SP101 with 3-inch barrel because 357 Magnum is very controllable with this gun, and it's still relatively small and easy to carry.

The K6S and Cobra are great all around options. I shoot the Cobra slightly better, but the K6S is so small and yet still manageable with no exposed hammer. Both the K6S and Cobra have excellent triggers - the K6S in DAO (super smooth and predictable) as well as the Cobra's SA (crisp) and DA (smooth and predictable) pull.

Some gratuitous pictures below (of the K6S, SP101, and Cobra, respectively)...
    b5c067ecbc3903bf21c3b261825ea981.jpg
    541423a537c7a874855ea82cda70cdf5.jpg
    a55c56b1b166e4cfc7060c43c3ba5b30.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The grips on that snake gun are completely badass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom