• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've acquired a .410 pump, old JC Higgins. What is my best bet for a plug? I can't seem to find anything by name for it. Get a wood dowel and cut it to length? It is a 3" chamber, 5 rounds in the tube IIRC, but I'll double check. Sounds like a ~9 inch long dowel, maybe 1/4" diameter? I'd have to check how large the mag spring is, but that seems like a safe size. Of course I'd like to keep rattle down, so maybe a rubber washer or two filed to size if the spring.

Any cut to length plastic plugs that would fit properly in a .410?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    From experience... use a plug that can't/won't get cockeyed and jam up in there and allow a Game Warden to jam another round up in there. I had a buddy that frequently forgot his plug on opening day of dove season and he would just grab a stick, break it off to the right length and use that.. cost him a ticket one day... be sure it's of the same or very close to the diameter of the plug, or 410 shell so that doesn't happen to you! ;)

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    I have a dowel just smaller in Diameter than the Springs Inside Diameter.....Round the Breach end of the dowel so the Spring Collapses around the Dowel W/O hanging Up. Sized with Chamber EMPTY and Tube Loaded with Legal Number of Shells ( Minus 1) slip dowel into Spring holding shells against Your Finger (having Left the Spring cap off the Spring at the Breach end) Marked the dowel at the Cap ,Remove and Cut the dowel 3/4 " short of My mark! Dump the Shells out the front reinstall the cap on the Breach side of the spring,Slip spring assembly into the tube . install your cut Dowel after 3 coats of Dried Poly to Prevent Moisture Absorption. Reassemble .Spring doesn't have to be Shortened as the Dowel is inside and Prevents more than Legal Number of shells No Mods to the Gun were required.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have a dowel just smaller in Diameter than the Springs Inside Diameter.....Round the Breach end of the dowel so the Spring Collapser around the Dowel W/O hanging Up. Sized with Chamber EMPTY and Tube Loaded with Legal Number of Shells ( Minus 1) slip dowel into Spring holding shells against Your Finger (having Left the Spring cap off the Spring at the Breach end) Marked the dowel at the Cap ,Remove and Cut the dowel 3/4 " short of My mark! Dump the Shells out the front reinstall the cap on the Breach side of the spring,Slip spring assembly into the tube . install your cut Dowel after 3 coats of Dryed Poly to Prevent Moisture Absorption. Reassemble .Spring doesn't have to be Shortened as the Dowel is inside and Prevents more than Legal Number of shells No Mods to the Gun were required.

Those weren't the directions I deserved, they were the directions I needed.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom