• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Everyone hits the floor. Best thing I could come up with. I know where I can and can't shoot.

Just an observation as I'm reading this on mother's day: good luck keeping your wife away from sweeping up the kids or the kids away from running into mom's arms. Age matters but still, its human nature.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Well, a lot more info than I anticipated when I originally posted. Living alone in a condo, with concrete between me and the neighbors, and only one entrance, #4 Buckshot will be my choice. Also have a handful of old Remingtion rifled slugs should the need arise.

If I was in your situation, I would be using slugs. Concrete between me and anybody else that might be innocent/good, I would be using a rifle for sure, but 2nd choice would be a shotgun with slugs or #00.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Just an observation as I'm reading this on mother's day: good luck keeping your wife away from sweeping up the kids or the kids away from running into mom's arms. Age matters but still, its human nature.

That's why you gotta drill.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Fabs, I watched the video that I posted, and in case you didn't realize it, it is part one of 4 parts. Part one is some small pistol calibers. Pt 2 has some shotgun loads. Pt 3 gets into birdshot and .223. Part 4 gets into knock down power. Each video will lead you to the next one.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    The moment you cycle the action or you pull the trigger, your bedside shotgun no longer has 9 rounds of #4 buckshot in it, even if there is a bucket of ammo sitting right next to it. Even if you are the fastest reloader in the world, you will still be down to 8 rounds in the gun for a couple nano-seconds. Hence, the reason ALWAYS is almost ALWAYS false. lol

spoken like a true lawyer :D

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I would not trust the life of my family to #4. Low penetration, not enough major trauma/energy transfer to stop someone. Remember, boys and girls, the name of the game is energy transfer into tissues to overwhelm the central nervous system and drop the threat in his tracks. I keep 00 Buck in my HD shotgun. If #4 were all that, why don't police and military use it? Probably because it doesn't do what they want it to.

I have 2 buckets full that say "intended for police use" on them. I don't remember where I got them though. its copper plated #4.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have 2 buckets full that say "intended for police use" on them. I don't remember where I got them though. its copper plated #4.

Also, you don't know what the intended purpose is. DNR police keep the airport waterfowl populations down, among other activities, with firearm.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

Those are riot control or breaching rounds.

Look up "skipping buckshot" for riot dispersion.
    Birdshot is generally preferred as the energy isn't retained as well. But with heavier stuff, the energy retention may help identify those present at a later time.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Those are riot control or breaching rounds. Look up "skipping buckshot" for riot dispersion. Birdshot is generally preferred as the energy isn't retained as well. But with heavier stuff, the energy retention may help identify those present at a later time.
    That will work in an HD situation 99% of the time.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I know I'm late to the game but I'll put in my 2 cents.
    My primary go to gun is a pistol. Hornady XTP 9mm. The shottie is loaded with 00 buck alternating with slugs. When we go to bed at night, bedroom doors are locked. This slows intruders down normally as they generally want to be quiet until they're upon you. Chances are good they'll try the door before barging through.
    I'm not too concerned about others in the house as my fields of fire from my room aren't affected by the other occupied rooms in the house.
    The pistol is close, close enough that if an intruder was physically on me, I'd still be able to retrieve it and present at point blank.
    We also leave a light on downstairs and none upstairs where the bedrooms are. This give us good night vision and the intruder(s) poor night vision allowing me a tactical advantage.
    Things to ponder.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    If I was in your situation, I would be using slugs. Concrete between me and anybody else that might be innocent/good, I would be using a rifle for sure, but 2nd choice would be a shotgun with slugs or #00.

Only worry is actual entrance door which faces into the hallway. No concrete or brick there as far as I know, but maybe there is concrete in that small wall also. Though penetrating the steel entrance door and having a round go across the hallway into neighbor's unit is very remote. Seeing that #1 buckshot is available I'll probably take that route, Unlike a lot of people on here I'm not too worried about my residence being breeched. Electronic lock on main entrance door and I'm on the 3rd floor. Have a steel door into unit. Only way to my BR is straight down the hallway. And I do have my CZ P-01 in my nite stand. Should probably use my other 9 or 45 with threaded barrels and keep my can on them. Need to get a TB for the CZ as it's my favorite. I'm not crazy about the thought of firing a rifle indoors.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    with a 3/8" steel plate secured to the back of one bookcase preferably the one in front.

Have you ever shot 3/8" steel plate?

Stops pistols, but do NOTHING against 5.56 or 7.62 if you decide on a rifle for HD.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Those are riot control or breaching rounds.

Look up "skipping buckshot" for riot dispersion.
    Birdshot is generally preferred as the energy isn't retained as well. But with heavier stuff, the energy retention may help identify those present at a later time.

pretty cool, thanks.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Also, you don't know what the intended purpose is. DNR police keep the airport waterfowl populations down, among other activities, with firearm.

I am sure they will kill geese. they will also kill deer and deer are far tougher to than people.

I "tested " a bunch of stuff in my own way and the penetration I got with the #4 plated buckshot along with the consistency of the pattern and the size of the shot is why I use it. 00 spreads at a distance and over penetrates , in my opinion.

everyone has their own opinion and what they are confident with and I say they should use what they are confident with. just my 2 cents.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Have you ever shot 3/8" steel plate?

Stops pistols, but do NOTHING against 5.56 or 7.62 if you decide on a rifle for HD.

Yeah I know. But couple that with two layers of thick books, wood, the wall and associated accoutrement and the chances of penetration along the intended path are greatly reduced.

Unless you're one of those idiots that decided to use M855 or AP for Home Defense.
    They make quality hollowpoints and soft points now. Or did ya not get the memo?

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    #4 buckshot, and birdshot, are lousy ideas. We really need a sticky thread. This keeps coming up again and again. #1 buck, at a minimum.

Many experienced shooters prefer #4 or #1 buckshot to 00. I really cannot argue, but Lt. Marshall is on record as stating that 00 is superior in penetration. (Obviously, as the heavier a round lead projectile is, the better it penetrates tissue.) Good enough for me, but if you have a #4 or #1 buckshot jones, go ahead (Ayoob and other authorities favor #1). Stay away from 2-3/4" Magnum or 3" Magnum loads, however. The brutal kick of these rounds makes them a bad choice and you gain little in stopping power over the 2-3/4" standard loads. Controllability is important, and standard 12 gauge shells have quite enough kick as it is.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    If you define Home Defense (HD) as being the average distance within the average room in an average home, then I'd say ~5'~20' is the operating range within which a given firearm/ammo combination must be able to stop an attacker. If you also need to keep collateral damage to a minimum, the ammo must deliver a neutralizing punch to the target without passing through the target or breaching more than two layers of drywall separated by 4"–the width of the average 2x4, or one average wall.

I've seen a goodly number of tests performed by fairly reliable organizations that cite bird shot as meeting the above definition. Although this video was cited earlier, I think this particular episode makes the case, so it bears re-viewing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom