• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    This looks MUCH better than the bulky monstrosity that the gen1 was.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    This looks MUCH better than the bulky monstrosity that the gen1 was.

Agreed. I had the 5-20 gen 1. The internal battery life was abysmal, about an hour I guess, and the external battery was bulky. I never used it, so I sold to a friend who might have some use for it on a farm. But this new one looks extremely interesting!

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    Agreed. I had the 5-20 gen 1. The internal battery life was abysmal, about an hour I guess, and the external battery was bulky. I never used it, so I sold to a friend who might have some use for it on a farm. But this new one looks extremely interesting!

The manufacturer claims the internal battery in this model has an 18 hr run time with a 6 hr charge time. There is an an accessory external battery they sell to increase life to 40hrs iirc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Got it a week ago. Been playing around with it a little but waiting until I get the mount before I really set her up. Primarily want her on my .277 bolt gun but also gonna try it on a Grendel AR and Creedmoor bolt gun and possibly try it on the .17WSM depending on how reliable the mount is.

Any update on this? I have one of the original ones mounted on a Mini-30, what a monstrosity. Looks like I need to order one of these.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    OMFG....I just wrote a huge long ass review and it was lost because I was logged out while I wrote it. :mad54::mad::mad54::banghead::tantrum:

I will try and redo it later tonight...
    Please do! I am interested in this sight, even though I know the siren call of ATN is one to be resisted.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Okay. Life has been hell but here we go. ATN X-Sight 4k review - Take Two.

While I have yet to get a chance to get my unit to the range, I am part of a couple groups and have been watching videos. It is no secret that ATN released this as a Beta. It was not ready for release, so they turned off what didn't work and sent them out. It was - functional. That said, ATN has been hard at work and in June, they released a firmware update that fixed some issues and turned on a couple features. This was a big step forward. There are still issues and problems -BUT- ATN is very receptive to feedback. I have had a few conversations with customer service regarding possible future advances and new features and they seemed very receptive. I am expecting bi-monthly updates to firmware; or thereabouts. Considering what it costs for what you get vs other units out there - I'm willing to be a beta tester.

Now for the review... As a day scope, the image is really good. These come is 3-14 and 5-20. The lower magnification is the optical magnification and the rest is digital zoom. I have the 5-20. The image is clear and crisp at base magnification and stays clear through maximum magnification. You can change a setting for enhanced zoom, which goes beyond maximum but as it is digital zoom, the image begins to pixelate a little. Some have complained that the image gets a little washed out. There are settings for sensitivity and it was determined that many who complained were not using the sun shade. It was also found out that if you put an end cap on it with a hole drilled in it to restrict light, like older generation units, the image gets even better. Also, the ballistic calculator seems to do its job, provided you input the correct bullet data (caliber, muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient) as well as atmospheric conditions. One guy used it to march a .223 out to 600 yards with stunning accuracy - and he was guessing at the MV. I am waiting for the Auxillary Ballistic Laser to be released. That unit is supposed to automatically range and make adjustments for you.

As far as night vision...the included IR illuminator is nice and good for maybe 100yds, but it is a battery hog. You would need to get a fist full of rechargeable CR-123s. The IR light most are going with are Sniper Hawgs and claiming 500-600yd visibility, I didn't want to spend that much so I grabbed a UNIQUEFIRE UF-T20 in 940nm and it seems to be decent out to at least 150 yards (as far as I could see). The image is better than the Sightmark Photon 6x50L I sold to buy this.

Now, the problems....the reticle on the recorded video was not synced with the reticle on the shooter's display. Not a worry to me unless you are going to be posting your videos online. There have also been a few people complaining that the slot for the microSD card is too big and they have lost their cards under the slot. This requires them to remove the cover and fish the card back out. There is already someone making replacement covers for $10 to fix this and it is unknown if ATN will fix this in the future. Also, since ATN wanted you to be able to mount their scope on any platform, the included rings are WAY too high. There are a few 1-piece QD mounts out there that work, considering the 3.5" space needed. I am using a Kinetic Development Side Lok. Others are using a GG&G AC-30 or a couple variations of the A.R.M.S. mounts. Most others are using 2-piece mounts.

Final thoughts: Am I happy with the unit? There were some growing pains out the gate but customer service has been amazing. It is still what I would consider a beta but I expect great things to come. I have to keep reminding myself what similar units cost compared to what I paid. There are minor nuisances which are easily remedied for not a lot more money. Once ATN gets a few more firmware updates out and they release the ABL (1000 or 1500 yd range), this should be a hell of an optic for multiple platforms. I plan to have profiles for a .17WSM, 6.5Grendel and 6.5 Creedmoor to start. I will likely add more calibers as I go forward.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom