• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Looking at getting into clays shooting, if I can see the darn things. It seems everyone on here who shoots clays uses a 12 ga. with a long barrel. I always thought the long barrels were for trap. Any big downside to getting a 20ga? Just looking for a little less recoil. I have a 20ga Beretta O/U very light field gun and it thumps me pretty good, especially my cheek. Thought maybe a heavier gun, clays model would solve the problem. And no damn auto safety reset.
    I have 2 Rem 1187 Sporting guns, 1 in 12 and 1 in 20 but looking to get an O/U.
    I still shoot my 36 year old Wingmaster better than any other gun I've shot but it's hard on my back. Pulled it out the other day to oil it and it still looks brand new. Has a 30" full and 26" skeet barrel. Been about 10 years and 3 back surgeries since I shot but need to get back out side and have some fun while I still can.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Longer barrels came into vogue several years and even competitive skeet shooters are using 30" and longer barrels. My 20 gauge O/U has 32" barrels. Swings like a dream!

If you have back issues, even a 20 gauge O/U can kick fairly hard if it's a field gun - and even more so finite doesn't fit you correctly. You may want to stick with semi-auto's as recoil is almost always lower.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    If you have heart set on an o/u you could look at a 12g with 20g tube inserts.
    Check out Kolar or Briley sub gauge inserts. These would make the gun heavier for less felt recoil. You may or may not like the extra weight just depends on your style of shooting.

A 20g is great for skeet and for sporting clays courses that have mostly close in targets like PG. A downside is the 20g target loads are more expensive if you don't reload. I don't think there are 20g versions of budget 12g target loads.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I don't think there are 20g versions of budget 12g target loads.

Gun Clubs (Dick's) and Winchester Universals (Wal-Mart) come in 20 gauge at the same price, though they are probably a little harder to find. Problem is they thump you pretty good (compared to a lite reload).

If I didn't reload I would probably shoot my semi-autos (1187-12 and 391-20) more. And +1 on an 8 lb+ 12 gauge target gun w/ 20 gauge inserts, and the 32" 20 gauge for that matter.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If recoil is something that worries you, try a recoil reducer in the stock. It adds weight to the gun. I bought the Beretta 391 Teknys and it came with a recoil reducer in the stock. The difference in recoil between it and my Benelli SBE with the same 1,200 fps 1 1/8 oz loads was amazing, so I bought a mercury recoil reducer for the Benelli too, and another for the Benelli mag cap when I am using slugs in it.

The autos spread the recoil over a longer time span on a shot versus an o/u. Essentially, the recoil is spread out and less sharp from an auto. Recoil is one of the reasons I shoot my o/u guns a lot less nowadays. Not that it hurts me, but it makes a second and third follow up shot harder because of the muzzle jump. With that said, I won't lie about 3 1/2" 12 gauge turkey loads. Those things knock the crap out of me.

I have a 30" barrel for both my clays o/u guns with a 34" single for the trap gun, a 30" barrel on the hunting o/u, and a 28" barrel on the 391 Teknys and the Benelli SBE. If you ask me, the difference between 28" and 30" is splitting hairs and one that is pretty much mental. Kind of like IC, Modified or Light Modified for the 16 yard line in trap.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gun Clubs (Dick's) and Winchester Universals (Wal-Mart) come in 20 gauge at the same price, though they are probably a little harder to find. Problem is they thump you pretty good (compared to a lite reload).

If I didn't reload I would probably shoot my semi-autos (1187-12 and 391-20) more. And +1 on an 8 lb+ 12 gauge target gun w/ 20 gauge inserts, and the 32" 20 gauge for that matter.

This. You can reload a 12 gauge pretty light with a 1 oz load or even a 7/8 oz. load if you wanted to. However, you would have to reload to do so. For the most part, I shoot 1 1/8 oz at 1,090 fps for both 16 yard trap and the vast majority of 5 stand and sporting clays shots. Fastest I ever goes is 1,200 fps.

When my sisters were using a 12 gauge, I loaded up some light 1 oz loads for them and they did just fine with them.

shooting again

Feb 27, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    I've got a pair of Browning Citori skeet guns in 12 and 20 ga. I load my 12 ga shells to 7/8 oz and 1,200 fps so it's essentially a 20ga load in a 12 ga gun. It has less recoil than the real 20 ga that's 1 pound lighter. The 7/8 oz loads work fine in my 390 too, though a Benelli I borrowed didn't like them at all.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    @ rico903 - you know you could rent an O/U at Loch Raven and see how it feels to you. They have both 12 and 20 gauge Beretta Silver Pigeons. Would be a cheap way to start. You may find the Remington's you already own more to your liking.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Some good info here, thanks. Circleshooter-hadn't thought about renting. I remember years ago LR rented guns, then they didn't so good to know they do again. As mentioned, may just stick with the SA' if I can find shell catchers for them. Someones spent shell casings never bothered me but others get annoyed. I just go for fun.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    You won't need the shell catcher for sporting clays or skeet, they are mandatory at many Trap clubs especially during competitions.
    As others stated a light 20 gauge O/U can kick worse than a 12 gauge, my preference for a light recoiling clays gun is a well balanced12 gauge sporting gun such as a 32" Guerini Sporting. Gun can be used for all the clay sports and with 7/8 or 1oz loads recoil can be quite light recoiling,the sporting guns tend to be heavy enough to also help tame recoil.
    Nothing wrong with continuing with an auto loader,great guns and I use a few myself at times,the main advantage to the O/U is having 2 chokes which only comes into play with sporting clays and only on a station which has a close in target and a far away target. Other advantages are ease of cleaning and most quality O/U's have better triggers than an auto although the Fabarm trigger is pretty good.
    Try different O/U's, rent a few to see what you like, Berettas are common in rental programs and Barts can arrange a demo of a Guerini,also Scraders on the Eastern shore is a demo center. PG rents Berettas also. Link is to Guerini Demo centers.

http://gueriniusa.com/demo-centers/

Clay shooting is addictive and a lot of fun,other than 22 rifles it's all I shoot anymore.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    My 20g CG Impact with Gracoil has very little recoil. I actually added barrel weights to make it feel like my 12g in weight.
    20g target shells are usually the same price as the 12g. i.e. at Cabelas paid 5.47/box for both 12g and 20g Herters a while back.
    Get an O/U. You'll like it. Minimal cleaning, no gas port issues, no shell catcher, 2 barrels for different chokes, etc......
    Cheek thump is a gun fit problem. Recoil is a LOP and weight issue.

ps: Had a 20g Beretta Field gun. Bought it for skeet. Recoil exceeded my 12g guns. Sold it. Sweet gun but not good for clays.
    My friend shoots a CG 20g (20/28 combo) for all the games and does well. Had it fit to her at Guerini. Shoots 7/8oz 1200 fps shells. No cheek slap, minimal recoil.
    For Trap, from the 16yd line, 20g is fine.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Have a chance to pick up a Benelli Super 28" Vinci Sporting for trap at a good price. Never been shot. They guy selling it can't remember how to put it together, or even get the barrel back in the case right, and neither could I. Supposed to be really soft shooting but still an SA.I saw one in a shop last year and it felt really nice and comes up real nice. But a weird gun, not sure I could figure out how to take it apart and assemble:)
    AFIK, Barts is the only place around close to Baltimore that sells CGs. What's the starting price on these? May very well be out of my price range.I'll more than likely sell my Beretta super light 20 field gun to put towards something else.
    Also, is PG the closest place to Baltimore that does sporting clays? I got a tour of the course once about 15 years ago and had trouble spotting birds then. Can't imagine how hard it would be with my old eyes now.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    There are several small clubs that offer sporting clays on weekends-Hopewell F&G, Littlestown F&G and Oxford Gun Club--all are in Pa just over the Md line, Mayberry, near Westminster does it once a month. All of these clubs welcome new shooters-just show up someone will show you the ropes. Hopewell has an "all rabbit" shoot this weekend. All of the clubs above have websites.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Have a chance to pick up a Benelli Super 28" Vinci Sporting for trap at a good price. Never been shot. They guy selling it can't remember how to put it together, or even get the barrel back in the case right, and neither could I. Supposed to be really soft shooting but still an SA.I saw one in a shop last year and it felt really nice and comes up real nice. But a weird gun, not sure I could figure out how to take it apart and assemble:)
    AFIK, Barts is the only place around close to Baltimore that sells CGs. What's the starting price on these? May very well be out of my price range.I'll more than likely sell my Beretta super light 20 field gun to put towards something else.
    Also, is PG the closest place to Baltimore that does sporting clays? I got a tour of the course once about 15 years ago and had trouble spotting birds then. Can't imagine how hard it would be with my old eyes now.

If you pass on the Benelli Vinci Super Sport, could you PM me with what the seller is asking for it. I might be interested in it myself if the gun is clean and the price is right. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom